View Poll Results: Which post-Olympics worlds was best (ladies)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll

2 2.94%

0 0%

6 8.82%

4 5.88%

7 10.29%

1 1.47%

9 13.24%

39 57.35%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Best Post-Olympics Worlds (Ladies)

Post-Olympic words are known for having weaker, worn out competitors. This hasn't really been the case at the last two worlds in 2010 and 2014. What was the best post Olympics worlds on the ladies division? Best can mean whatever you want: best overall field, outcome, performances, most interesting or enjoyable competition. Your general impressions and thoughts about post-Olympic ladies worlds.

vCash
    84, 88, 92, were all kind of a joke. Yamaguchi in 92, Zayak in 84, and the debut of young Ito in 84 were the only high points. Well the short program competition in 84 for women was good with Witt, Kondrasova, Ivanova, Ito, Zayak, all having excellent performances.

94 was actually pretty good despite the weakish field. Sato and Bonaly both gave great performanes, young Szewcenko skated one of her best ever performances to win a medal, young Kwan skated terrific in her debut, and Kiellmann had one of her best long programs ever going in trying to win a medal before falling twice at the very end.

98 was kind of messy but also not too bad. Kwan, Butyrskaya, and Slutskaya all had very strong long programs. Rechnio's SP performance was a highlight, and Kwiatkowski had a beautiful goodbye LP.

2002 was alright but not exceptional. Slutskaya finally winning her first world title, her LP was just ok but her short was fantastic and should have had some 6.0s for required elements instead of presentation. Kwan with one of her best skates all year in the LP, and Suguri and Onda having great performances on their home ice.

2006 ugh.

2010 was decent, again not exceptional. Yu Na Kim's skating here was a huge letdown, as was Nagasu's blown career opportunity in the LP, and Lepisto being awarded the bronze with only 3 triples (even if possibly merited).

2014 was enjoyable and quite good I thought, even if Kostner and to a lesser extent Mao were a bit messy in the LP. Their SPs were spectacular, and amongst the best in history, and in fact was probably the best ladies SP event in history, topping 2001 worlds and 2010 Olympics.

vCash
    I dont know which to vote. It would be between 94, 2014, and 2002 probably. I voted 2014.

vCash
    I am not sure what definition you are using for 'best'.

I picked 2010 because all 3 medallists competed and skated well. Kim made a mistake, but it was good enough for a silver. Asada won gold, and Rochette won the bronze (IIRC). The skating was still quite strong.

In most others listed, many of the Olympic medallists did not show up and it diluted the competition.

1988- Everyone showed up and skated roughly same as they did in the Olympics. I would call this the second best.

1992- Midori Ito (Oly silver) did not show up, but rest of them did. It was an OK competition, with Kerrigan moving up from bronze to silver.

1994- One of the weakest. All 3 medallists (Baiul, Kerrigan, Chen) were absent (and of course Witt) It came down to Sato vs. Bonaly.

1998- The OGM winner Lipinski was absent, and I think Chen was too, but the rest of the field was quite strong, with Kwan, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya. So even with 2 medallists absent, it was a fairly strong worlds.

2002-Hughes (OGM) was absent, but with Kwan and Slutskaya it was still a pretty strong field. There was no controversy about Irina's win, IIRC.

2006- Perhaps the weakest. Out of the medallists, only Sasha Cohen showed up. Her closest competition was Suzuki. Everyone expected her to win easily. She finished with a bronze, behind Meissner and Suguri.

2014- I am surprised that it's getting so many votes. Two of the Olympic medallists were not there (Sotnikova, Kim). Asada skated very well and won, but none of the other ladies had really great skates. Pogorilaya was very good but finished 4th behind a very weak performance by Kostner. This was definitely not the best post-Olympic worlds in my book. Not in terms of skater participation, and not in terms of performances (couple of exceptions).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    1988- Everyone showed up and skated roughly same as they did in the Olympics. I would call this the second best.
    This isnt the case. Witt, Manley, Trenary, Ito, all skated far below their Olympic standard. Witt had a worse LP, Trenary a terrible short and a similar long, Ito a much worse long, Manley a bad short and a weaker long than the Olympics. Kadavy didnt skate the Olympic LP but skated a much worse short than the Games, then skated her worst long program ever. Thomas skated about the same as the Olympics in the short, a bit worse in the long, worse in figures. Ivanova and Kondrashova didnt attend.

2014- I am surprised that it's getting so many votes. Two of the Olympic medallists were not there (Sotnikova, Kim). Asada skated very well and won, but none of the other ladies had really great skates. Pogorilaya was very good but finished 4th behind a very weak performance by Kostner. This was definitely not the best post-Olympic worlds in my book. Not in terms of skater participation, and not in terms of performances (couple of exceptions).
    Nobody missed Sotnikova, who is an Olympic gold medalist in name only, and who isnt even really one of the five best skaters in the world today. I would even say most were happy she didnt show up and they didnt have to be subjected to her inflated scores and another joke result for her. Only Kim was missed, but it was expected she was never going. There were alot of strong skates by Asada, Anna P., Wagner in the LP, Edmunds, and by almost all the top girls in the short. Kostner and Murakami were the only dissapointments.

vCash
    The judging of the 2002 worlds was also bad. Irina deserved the gold overall, but Kwan should have won the long program hands down and was placed below Irina's much weaker performance. It was like a compensation gift by the judges for some thinking Irina was robbed of the 2001 world title and 2002 Olympic title to Kwan and Hughes respectively. Then two 6.0s for artistic impression in the short, how is that possible for a skater who doesnt even have artistry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I picked 2010 because all 3 medallists competed and skated well. Kim made a mistake, but it was good enough for a silver. Asada won gold, and Rochette won the bronze (IIRC). The skating was still quite strong.
    pfft Yuna had an insane meltdown in the SP that was an epic standout in a career marked with superb consistency. Rochette didn't attend and bronze was take by an underwhelming Lepisto who landed like 3 easy triples in her LP. Only Mao was consistently meh enough to win, failing to win neither sp nor LP.
    as close to a "splat fest" as one could get with figures still in.
    1992- Midori Ito (Oly silver) did not show up, but rest of them did. It was an OK competition, with Kerrigan moving up from bronze to silver.
    kristi had one of her best comps ever. Everyone else was
    1994- One of the weakest. All 3 medallists (Baiul, Kerrigan, Chen) were absent (and of course Witt) It came down to Sato vs. Bonaly.
    this was my pick for best. Yuka was sublime, such great basic skating skills, a great win in the era of "it's just about the triples". Surya was on. Kwan began her ascent. It kept the spark alive in the wake of tanyagate fatigue.
    1998- The OGM winner Lipinski was absent, and I think Chen was too, but the rest of the field was quite strong, with Kwan, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya. So even with 2 medallists absent, it was a fairly strong worlds.
    total dud. Even Kwan was subpar.
    2002-Hughes (OGM) was absent, but with Kwan and Slutskaya it was still a pretty strong field. There was no controversy about Irina's win, IIRC.
    kwan was hosed in the LP. Irina was deserving but so so so underwhelming.
    2006- Perhaps the weakest. Out of the medallists, only Sasha Cohen showed up. Her closest competition was Suzuki. Everyone expected her to win easily. She finished with a bronze, behind Meissner and Suguri.
    kinda best and worst at same time because of Kimmie. boy did she win that outright, blowing everyone away! Yes, that's how craptastic everyone else was that the likes of 06 Kimmie was the clear run-away winner!
    I'm surprised too. Mao was great! Everyone else was just awful! But maybe it was the best after all, I meAn any comp where I don't have to watch Adelina skate is a winner, right?

vCash
    Kwan and Irina both skated cleanly with the same jumps in the LP of the 2002 worlds. I was fine with either winning the LP, and the judges probably gave it to Irina as a bonus as she was going to win anyway. It is justifiable to give Irina a higher technical mark than Kwan even with the same jumps, and it is not like Kwan's program was some masterpiece that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post

any compwhere I don't have to watch Adelina skate is a winner, right?
    This is the kind of comment that makes me call people haterz.

vCash
    I enjoyed the SP in 2014 the most, Probably one of the best ever,

All in all i chose 2002, All medalists performed great

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Kwan and Irina both skated cleanly with the same jumps in the LP of the 2002 worlds. I was fine with either winning the LP, and the judges probably gave it to Irina as a bonus as she was going to win anyway. It is justifiable to give Irina a higher technical mark than Kwan even with the same jumps, and it is not like Kwan's program was some masterpiece that year.
    I'd argue that the judges would've given it to Slutskaya on both 2000 and 2001 Worlds had she not made just 1 mistake in the FS on both,
    She won both SP's over Kwan.

vCash
    1998 was probably one of the worst. I remember watching this splatfest live on TV. WOW. How bad it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    1998 was probably one of the worst. I remember watching this splatfest live on TV. WOW. How bad it was.
    The SP especially
    Where Rechnio and Hubert where allowed 2nd and 3rd to Sluts and Buts debacles

And that includes Pairs where everyone fell which allowed Meno\Sand to be 1st after,
    And men where Eldredge failed the SP, and Yags and Plush Failed the Free, Lovely podium ^_^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    The SP especially
    Where Rechnio and Hubert where allowed 2nd and 3rd to Sluts and Buts debacles

And that includes Pairs where everyone fell which allowed Meno\Sand to be 1st after,
    And men where Eldredge failed the SP, and Yags and Plush Failed the Free, Lovely podium ^_^
    Absolutely.
    1998 Worlds were not the best !
    But I liked the results, with Kwan, Yagudin, Eldredge, Schwarz&Muller...

vCash
    1992 and 1998 are the more interesting examples as the ordinals were just all over the place with quite a few flips-flops happening outside of 1st place (both SP and FP).

vCash
    1992 Worlds is a great memory with a fantastic Kristi Yamaguchi, and a podium for Lu Chen and Laetitia Hubert's redemption !

vCash
    94 for sure... The drama between Bonaly and Sato in Chiba is something I will never forget!

vCash
    I think Mrs Bonaly needs to come back and coach in France so we can have future generations taught such manners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think Mrs Bonaly needs to come back and coach in France so we can have future generations taught such manners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    I'd argue that the judges would've given it to Slutskaya on both 2000 and 2001 Worlds had she not made just 1 mistake in the FS on both,
    She won both SP's over Kwan.
    I agree, but in 2001 Irina had already done a harder jump than Michelle (and her mistake was on attempting another). In 2000 she actually had easier jumps but just had so much momentum and Kwan so many factors against her (being 3rd after the short, not being defending champion or that seasons top skater, skating first in the final flight) that people would have grudingly accepted Irina's win anyway.

2002 LP result probably annoyed some as some think normally Irina shouldnt be beating a clean Kwan if she is only doing the same jumps, not in the LP anyway, SP is fine. Plus many dont seem to like Irina's Tosca. I actually thought she brought Tosca to life and as much as I enjoyed some of kwan's great performances to Tosca in 2004, Irina's interpretation of it was better (maybe I am misinterpreting what Tosca is about though).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast