vCash

Leftover ham recipes

Anyone have leftover ham recipes that they would like to share? I have a lot of leftover ham from Easter and I have not been that thrilled with the recipes that I have found online so far.

Many thanks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    First one that jumps to mind is a long time favourite pasta of ours - ham, peas and leeks. Originally saw it on a tv show about 20 years ago so never even had a recipe. Basically you soften a big pile of leeks in a bit of butter, add diced up ham and frozen peas, then add heavy cream. Let it boil up and then simmer down a couple of times to thicken it, serve over favourite pasta, lots of pepper, maybe a bit of fresh parmesan.

On the weekend, eggs benedict. If you aren't handy with poaching eggs, just do what I do and soft boil then carefully peel them. While I've made hollandaise from scratch on many occasions, I find the Knorr packet does the job - foolproof and delicious. If you don't have English muffins, no worries - just use any toasted roll or bread. It's a breakfast that most people likely only have in restaurants, but you can make a pretty good version at home without much fuss, and it's not a bad dinner either. (And once the ham is used up, make it with spinach for eggs florentine, or put the egg over a few steamed asparagus spears when they're in season - all yummy.)

vCash
    The pasta recipe is similar to one I make. But I add a tablespoon of tomato paste. Omlets, grilled cheese and ham, macaroni and cheese with cubed ham, chicken cordon bleu, split pea soup, pizza gaina(sp) - an Easter pie made with pizza dough, ricotta cheese, eggs, grated Romano, cubed ham.

vCash
    I tend to go on the side of easy re: recipes. I have two favorites for leftover ham. The first one is a stir fry. Stir fry whatever veggies you like, add some teriyaki sauce (I like Soy Vey brand, or you can also make your own soy sauce-based sauce), throw in some cut up ham and a small can of cut up pineapple. Serve over white rice. We're actually having this for dinner tonight.

The other one: you take the cut up ham, throw it in a pan. Add two sliced green apples (or not - your choice). Add a bottle of Major Grey's Mango Chutney (or another brand of mango chutney). Cook until you're happy with it. Serve over white rice.

Another one I haven't tried yet is scalloped potatoes with the sliced ham baked into it. Sounds yummy.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Put it in pea soup. That's one of my very favorite things to do with it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    You can also put it on homemade pizza (with or without pineapple.) Or use a pre-made crust or Boboli, as you prefer.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Make breakfast sandwiches with it. We had really yummy ones Sunday morning from leftover ham my mom sent home with us.

vCash
    Quiche or omelet? I recently adapted the classic Quiche Lorraine to a quiche with maple smoked bacon and guyere. It was divine. Ham would work instead of the bacon.

vCash
    Spaghetti and ham instead of meatballs. SO GOOD!!! It's one of my favorites.
    Ham, potato, and leek soup is good too
    Team Peeps!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Ham is absolutely delicious in red beans and rice instead of using sausage. I actually prefer it with ham. I am not sure how common red beans and rice is where you are from, though. Here in Louisiana it is a staple.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher