Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Voloszhar & Trankov

47 78.33%
  • Zhangs

13 21.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I don't think I can answer this yet because the career of V&T is not yet over.

vCash
    The Zhangs have a better career so far due to the Olympic Silver which is worth about equal to a World gold. An Olympic Gold is worth 1.5 World golds, unless you win a 2nd one straight and then it is worth 3.5 (which means 5 World titles for the 2 Golds combined) since that is so hard to do. Anyway that has nothing to do with either of them. However with Zhangs Olympic silver negating out Volsozhars World gold the Zhangs would come out ahead. Volosozhar has a Grand Prix title gold but that is only equal to a World silver roughly. So lets say Voloszhar has 1 World gold or Olympic silver, and 3 World silver with Grand Prix final title one of those three. Zhangs have 1 Olympic silver or World gold, along with 3 World silver and 1 World bronze. Zhangs slightly ahead. Zhangs more longevity and more grand prix and small events wins so a bit ahead now. Voloszhar win atleast silver at the Olympics which they should, and they really should win if they skate anywhere near normal, they will be ahead though.

In technical ability they are close. Volosozhar have even better twist, and better lifts. Poor Zhangs had most amazing twist ever but have been overtaken now by Voloszhar. Zhangs though had better side by side jumps and better throws since Volosozhar has often shaky landings even on clean throws which sometimes mean low GOE and even negative. It is what cost them 2012 Grand Prix final to Germans even though the Germans had mistakes, had weaker twist by far, and the two teams had same PCS. Zhangs have better side by side spins, Volsozhar better pair spins. Voloszhar better death spirals, footwork the same, and spirals better by Zhangs. So technical equal. Artisticness goes to not sure. Both teams have alot of weakness in artistic. Zhangs improved as their careers went, while Voloszhar have stronger basics, speed, lines, than Zhangs, but boring programs and no choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    O M G. I don't know if I've ever seen the words "robbed" & the "Zhangs" in the same sentence unless the people being robbed where those behind the Zhangs. I've always thought that they were horrible skaters with a couple of big tricks. He would throw her like he was heaving a shot putt with no finesse whatsoever. And giving the edge on spins to them over V/T is insane. Spins were their worst element. I thought she Zhang improved a lot over the years but I'm not sure he Zhang ever did. No brain bleach on earth will ever erase the sight of them in their jungle costumes.
    I've heard people arguing the Zhangs deserved the 2008 Worlds. I wouldn't, but it was one of those events where no one really deserved to win.

I think if V/T win the Olympics like everyone knows they will (biggest lock of the five events, imo), their one world title and one Olympic title will easily triumph over the multi-silvered Zhangs.

vCash
    Not a fan of the Zhangs in the least but I do sort of feel they were robbed of the 2008 World title. It would suck to see them have won with that boring free skate performance, which had mistakes too, but given the competition that is probably the fair result. Savchenko & Szolkowy made so many mistakes that competition, 1 in the short, and 3 huge glaring misses in the free skate including a double fall on one side by side jump they took a long time to recover from. They received a flurry of grossly inflated GOE and PCS for that performance. The Zhangs had 2 smaller mistakes in the free program as their only problems. I do think S&S were seen as judges pet quite often from 2008-2009, generally the best pair, but often held up when they had major problems; which is why it was probably a shock to their systems and egos when Shen & Zhao came back and were the ones who got all the inflated scores and judges pampering that had been theirs the 2 years prior (while S&Z made it easier by never having some of the meltdowns S&S had). Dube & Davison had the free program of the night and should have won that phase hands down, but while their short program was also very good, the 4th place standing and gap of 6 points to the leading Zhangs was correct. So really the Zhangs probably should have won the 2008 Worlds, and for as many times as they were gifted in their careers, that title probably would elevate their careers to a new level and possibly above where V&T currently are.

As it is V&T with a World title, Grand Prix final victory, and two European titles are clearly above the Zhangs though. All 4 of those achievements are arguably bigger than the Zhangs biggest achievement, well except the Olympic silver definitely is above the Grand Prix final title, and the European title V&T didnt have to face S&S is probably worse less than a random World medal too.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mustafinabars View Post
    Only an idiot would attempt to make that argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustafinabars View Post
    Only a German would try and argue S/S are best currently.
    Got something against Germans, have we? Ukrainians? Tanzanians? Or are you just being generally unpleasant?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I've heard people arguing the Zhangs deserved the 2008 Worlds. I wouldn't, but it was one of those events where no one really deserved to win.

I think if V/T win the Olympics like everyone knows they will (biggest lock of the five events, imo), their one world title and one Olympic title will easily triumph over the multi-silvered Zhangs.
    I think Dube and Davison would have been worthier champions than the Zhangs that year, though you are right that it wasn't a year in which there was a clear-cut winner.

I agree about V/T, which is depressing because their programs are just awful and their marks, considering said programs, are obscene. What a waste of talent, imagine what they could do with halfway decent choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    An Olympic Gold is worth 1.5 World golds, unless you win a 2nd one straight and then it is worth 3.5
    WTF? I've never heard this.

The Olympics is just one competition of many that the skaters have. If a skater won gold at every competition for 4 years but at the Olympics they mess up and get 9th, they are not as good an OM who got lucky once and mediocre the rest of the time?

This thread was silly months ago....

vCash
    The real question at hand is how does a World title compare to an Olympic silver. Whichever is worth more is probably the winner of this thread so far. Might as well discuss it now as come February the debate will be closed with Maxim and blondies gold medal (or worst silver if they have disaester).

vCash
    I think a World title usually trumps an Olympic silver, but even though World titles are treated equally on their faces, fans always argue how some World competitions were tougher than others.

vCash
    I don't think World, Olympic, and other titles should even be converted in equivalents or quantified with these kinds of questions. I can't think of anything that the Zhangs do that is better than V/T. V/T even have Chinese-sized throws and twists, and the rest of their elements are of high quality as well. I don't get how Z/Z and V/T are considered similar for being strong technicians and relatively weak artists. V/T may not have the subtlety or sophistication of S/S, but they have strong basics, ice presence, and well-constructed programs (though not particularly imaginative).

vCash
    From day one- ever since this thread was started- I thought this comparison is ridiculous. It would make more sense to compare V&T with S&S (for example) or with one of the past successful pairs.

The Zhangs are nowhere close to V&T in skills or accomplishments, and they skated for a much longer time than V&T. They lucked into an Olympic silver, and world silvers. When they first appeared on the scene at a young age, they seemed to have a lot of potential, but they never developed.

vCash
    Volosozhar & Trankov have the Olympic Gold in 2014, World titles in 2013 and 2014, and Grand Prix final titles in 2012, 2013, and 2014, and European titles in 2012, 2013, 2014 so had the much better career. Zhangs never won Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix final, or Europeans and the Russians have won those events 9 times vs 0 for Zhangs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Volosozhar & Trankov have the Olympic Gold in 2014, World titles in 2013 and 2014, and Grand Prix final titles in 2012, 2013, and 2014, and European titles in 2012, 2013, 2014 so had the much better career. Zhangs never won Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prix final, or Europeans and the Russians have won those events 9 times vs 0 for Zhangs.
    V&T have not won the 2014 OGM; anything can happen. Please don't jinx them. They do have the 2013 wins you mentioned, and those should be enough to put them over Z&Z. As I said before, it's not even a close comparison between these two pairs. I am shocked that 13 posters actually voted for Z&Z.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12