Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Nope.. Jesus Christ Superstar with the blood on the shirt rocked
    Eys, that was effin awesome !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Nope.. Jesus Christ Superstar with the blood on the shirt rocked

I wish Abt had switched to ice dance years ago. Wasn't his (ex?) wife an ice dancer?
    Yup, Elena Pavlova skated with her brother Alexander at the junior level.

vCash
    Doesn't he have a son? Maybe his son is skating pairs?? who knows. I hate the off-season.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jennysk8oboe View Post
    Doesn't he have a son? Maybe his son is skating pairs?? who knows. I hate the off-season.
    Haha, it just started. Off season can be pretty trying for us fans, but it's always worse right before and right after the Olympic season.

vCash
    Abt said he would never let his son be a figure skater. I'm guessing due to all the injuries, though I think his son plays hockey.

vCash
    His son has skated at least some (he competed at the Juvenile level in 2009-2010, but I don't know if he's skating anymore)

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/s...enile-results/
    http://photography.ice-dance.com/200...ow_193.jpg.php

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Does he still coach in New Jersey?

I had been wondering about this too. Last information I could find is he is listed as a coach at
    Aviator Sports in Brooklyn, NY

His (ex?) wife is still listed at Ice House in NJ. She is listed under her maiden name now, not Abt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    On another note, was I the only one who liked Timchenko?
    I really liked Timchenko too...wonder what he is doing now.

Also, I did watch the video on the news site...can anyone translate what Sasha is saying?
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Timchenko was coaching in the U.S. for a while, Virginia I think? Maryland? Anyway, I believe he's been back in Moscow for about 2 years now. Not sure if coaching or other work/school.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    His son has skated at least some (he competed at the Juvenile level in 2009-2010, but I don't know if he's skating anymore)

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/s...enile-results/
    http://photography.ice-dance.com/200...ow_193.jpg.php
    Oh, very cool. I hope he has his dad's edges and camel spin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Abt had some bad luck, but he was also a party boy who smoked and drank too much and trained too little. The ends of his program were almost comical with the sluggishness and panting. I can't imagine Abt lifting someone at 4:10 in a program.
    Abt smoked – so did many Russian skaters. Actually some coaches till today encourage their students to smoke to lose weight. I don`t think it would have helped his jumps to stop smoking and risk gaining 20 pounds. Not defending smoking, but I think stopping it as an eligible skater is pretty much difficult. Sasha liked to party and to drink – so did other skaters, actually I know about at least two very successful Russian elite skaters who did incredibly stupid things during their eligible years when being drunk (one of them was even banned from competition for a while).

While I won`t argue that he probably did too much + after turning pro and that his professional career might have been more successful, I don`t think that this prevented bigger success in eligible years. It`s not like he skated drunk at competition. Do you really think he won less medals at major ISU championships due to ? Maybe he would have been 5th instead of 6th of 7th instead of 8th with less party & practicing a bit more, but I it would not have changed his medal count as far as major events are concerned.

Personally I’m as annoyed with drinking & laziness and smoking coming up each time when Abt’s amateur career is assessed as with the all the references regarding his look. I’m not defending him as the hardest worker, but there were a lot of other skaters who I’ve seen running out of steam and lacking stamina, who still won big medals. The main factors which hampered his career were definitely severe injury with bad timing and lack of support of his own fed.

Actually Sasha has shown a tremendous amount of discipline when he came back the way he did after an injury he sustained less than two year's before Nagano Olympics and which was actually deemed to be career ending – he must have worked his butt off. And what happened? Despite skating two clean programmes at 1998 RN where he should have placed 2nd, he was 4th with no chance to make the Olympic team and behind Yagudin who pulled of a Chan in the free skate with acting as a human Zamboni and doubling out most of his jumps. I think it must be pretty hard to motivate yourself to train hard when your own fed has already given you a message it won`t pay off.

Pesumably it`s just easier and more comforting to believe that success it only a product of hard work and that lack of success is the result of lack of such hard work, but life isn’t that easy. - Yes, you won`t be successful without hard work, but in most cases where people are really successful, it was hard work but also a good portion of luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    Agreed. After one too many personal interactions with Sasha and first-hand stories from acquaintances who knew him, sad to say I completely believe all the rumors about him being lazy and/or unhappy and/or to invoke Esta, TOO MUCH IN SMOKE AND DRINK. They did say he buckled down for the 2001-02 season -- considering all the good performances and consistent quad he showed that season, it's a shame he couldn't mentally motivate himself to train properly over multiple seasons.
    Well, as far as Sasha’s pro-career is concerned even as a big fan I agree that more discipline certainly would not have harmed him. For his eligible career as mentioned I don’t think his results would have changed big time. The few occasions where he skated better than Alexej or Plushy after 1998 he was robbed each time anyways. I don`t think this is helpful for mental motivation. Beside that Arutunian and Zhulin both seem to be quite demanding coaches – and in interviews both of them made statements that Sasha is professional, hard working and easy to coach.

In the 2001-02 season one of the reasons why Sasha worked harder was of course also that he was finally healthy and that he had better training conditions. Rafael Arutunian, his former coach, mentioned more than once that Sasha had very bad training conditions in Russia, e.g. no ice time (if I remember correctly, it once was only 1-2 hours per day!) and this partly caused by bad relations of coach & skater with Russian Fed. So lack of training was also caused by lack of good training conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    That said, hands down he had the best glide and power of any skater I have ever seen in over 16 years of watching live elite skating (and I was never looking at his face ) You know those first 30-60 seconds when the men come out for a practice session or warmup and are doing edge pulls and stroking drills around the perimeter? There is no one I would have rather watched than Sasha Abt.
    So true! The warming up of the edges
    While Sasha really seemed to tense up in competition, in practice everything looked so easy. And when he was on, you could see how much he enjoyed being on the ice. - It was actually that impression of ease, freedom and joy that inspired me to start skating as an adult some time ago and I didn`t regret. I simply love it! Though it of course turned out quickly that the tricks were not as easy as they looked when elite skaters do them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Abt said he would never let his son be a figure skater. I'm guessing due to all the injuries, though I think his son plays hockey.
    And we all know that hockey is less dangerous than figure skating.

I think it was not only injury, but also that Sasha knew it’s a very hard job but that hard work very often does not pay off in skating and that it’s even harder to skate when both of your parents were figure skaters. Even though Makar was enrolled in figure skating for about 2 years but then stopped (though he seemed to have talent) and switched to hockey and sticked with it up to now. Well, Sasha actually wanted to become a hockey player before he started with figure skating and I think I red once in German Skating Magazine that he not only works as a figure skating coach, but that he also teaches hockey classes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Also, I did watch the video on the news site...can anyone translate what Sasha is saying?
    I would love to translate, but for some reason I cannot open that clip. So annyoing.

Will try from another computer tomorrow - if it works I'll do the translation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Abt smoked – so did many Russian skaters. Actually some coaches till today encourage their students to smoke to lose weight. I don`t think it would have helped his jumps to stop smoking and risk gaining 20 pounds. Not defending smoking, but I think stopping it as an eligible skater is pretty much difficult. Sasha liked to party and to drink – so did other skaters, actually I know about at least two very successful Russian elite skaters who did incredibly stupid things during their eligible years when being drunk (one of them was even banned from competition for a while).

While I won`t argue that he probably did too much + after turning pro and that his professional career might have been more successful, I don`t think that this prevented bigger success in eligible years. It`s not like he skated drunk at competition. Do you really think he won less medals at major ISU championships due to ? Maybe he would have been 5th instead of 6th of 7th instead of 8th with less party & practicing a bit more, but I it would not have changed his medal count as far as major events are concerned.

Personally I’m as annoyed with drinking & laziness and smoking coming up each time when Abt’s amateur career is assessed as with the all the references regarding his look. I’m not defending him as the hardest worker, but there were a lot of other skaters who I’ve seen running out of steam and lacking stamina, who still won big medals. The main factors which hampered his career were definitely severe injury with bad timing and lack of support of his own fed.

Actually Sasha has shown a tremendous amount of discipline when he came back the way he did after an injury he sustained less than two year's before Nagano Olympics and which was actually deemed to be career ending – he must have worked his butt off. And what happened? Despite skating two clean programmes at 1998 RN where he should have placed 2nd, he was 4th with no chance to make the Olympic team and behind Yagudin who pulled of a Chan in the free skate with acting as a human Zamboni and doubling out most of his jumps. I think it must be pretty hard to motivate yourself to train hard when your own fed has already given you a message it won`t pay off.

Pesumably it`s just easier and more comforting to believe that success it only a product of hard work and that lack of success is the result of lack of such hard work, but life isn’t that easy. - Yes, you won`t be successful without hard work, but in most cases where people are really successful, it was hard work but also a good portion of luck.

I love Abt's skating, in my heart he's another Jeremy Abbott, or Jeremy Abbott is another Abt whatever, but they definitely have their own problems. I don't understand why it seems that some people here blame something else more than himself? Yes Abt competed during a period when the men's field was pretty deep, but who else during that period did not? He had a severe injury in the summer of 1996, that's very unfortunate. But what about before that?
    Take a look at his junior worlds records, he got 2nd place first time(pretty impressive), got 7th the second year, and then got 8th at his third JWs, a 13 year old Yagudin even placed 4th that time. Quite often posters on this board moan that he couldn't do well because he had to compete against Urmanov, kulik, Yagudin and Plushenko, but Urmanov and Plushenko weren't even there at 93-94 JWs, kulik placed behind him, Yagudin placed way above him. I can't see it's anyone else's fault.
    And RNs, he placed 4th twice and then 18th in 1995? What happened? I don't think the RF supported other young guns more than Abt by that time yet.
    His international GP records were not as good as the others either during the 97-98 season. These guys did not even compete at the same GP events, I don't think anyone from Russian team robbed him.
    Why I have this feeling that if he skated at his international competitions better than his teammates most of the time instead of just
    The few occasions where he skated better than Alexej or Plushy..:
    , then even his lower placement at RNs shouldn't really matter?

vCash
    I get this picture that the pro tours in the 90s were full of parties, booze and craziness? I didn't know Abt was this kind of party animal, I just read about Bowman and wasn't Yagudin also a quite a party man (especially with ladies).

The skaters nowadays can't afford that kind of behavior and maybe they don't get that much money to spend while on tour.

vCash
    The rumours circulated said the reason for some of his injuries were being drunk on the ice. Apparently having 2 sharp blades attached to your feet when dead drunk is not smart. Who would have though (not Abt, obviously)

As for the video - it seems he was giving some kind of master class in Minsk and jokingly said in front of the camera he is trying pairs. A nice 1/4 thing to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    As for the video - it seems he was giving some kind of master class in Minsk and jokingly said in front of the camera he is trying pairs. A nice 1/4 thing to say.
    That makes much more sense.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Haha, it just started. Off season can be pretty trying for us fans, but it's always worse right before and right after the Olympic season.

And often, more likely than not, the open season can be trying too lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I get this picture that the pro tours in the 90s were full of parties, booze and craziness? I didn't know Abt was this kind of party animal, I just read about Bowman and wasn't Yagudin also a quite a party man (especially with ladies).

The skaters nowadays can't afford that kind of behavior and maybe they don't get that much money to spend while on tour.
    YOu must have not been around when Abt got drunk on an international flight and caused problems. There was actually a vid on you tube (since removed) which recorded his behavior,

http://www.besttopnews.com/idols/sca...8/70151-abt-0/

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Thanks - the video wouldn't work on my computer so I was just going off of the article.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast