vCash

Harding comes clean about attack against Kerrigan

In a new interview with PEOPLE magazine, Tonya Harding reveals that she knew all along about the plot to attack Nancy Kerrigan.

Excerpts:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P: "So, you're saying that you knew all along that your husband and his buddies were planning to attack Nancy Kerrigan?"

TH: "Yes, they told me from the very beginning."

P: "And what did you say?"

TH: "That I didn't think any of them could pull it off."

P: "So why didn't you tell others about it and do what you could to try to stop it?"

TH: "Well, I didn't actually think there was anything to stop. They were a bunch of knuckleheads who would have had trouble figuring out how to swat a fly, much less carry out an attack against someone."

P: "What about when you heard the attack had succeeded?"

TH: "Honestly, I was in shock. I was very afraid. I thought, 'Who could have done this, and are they coming after me too? Because it obviously couldn't have been the Three Stooges.'"

[...]

P: "So why are you finally opening up about this now?"

TH: "Because I think Nancy deserves to know."

P: "But why not years ago?"

TH: "Because I didn't feel Nancy was ready then, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings."

P: "So, you're basically saying that you did all this for Nancy's sake?"

TH: "Of course. I mean, why else?"

[...]

P: "So after nearly 20 years since the attack on Nancy Kerrigan, can you finally forgive yourself?"

TH: "It's been very hard. But I've been seeing a counselor who has helped me see the truth about a lot of things. First off, I realize that what I did was unforgivable. And I'd like to apologize to the entire skating community for that. I never ever meant to leave a black mark on the sport. I mean, those skating dresses I wore--they were just horrific!!! No wonder the USFSA banned me for life. When you wear outfits like what I wore, you don't DESERVE to ever get to skate again!! At the time, I thought the USFSA was just being really hard on me, but now I realize I got exactly what I deserved. The reason I didn't show up at the hearing was because I felt so ashamed. How could I defend myself? I couldn't say, 'I never wore those outfits,' because they could show videos of me skating in them!! I realize now that the attack on Nancy was just so unnecessary. I didn't understand this back then, but the only reason she was beating me in competitions was that I was dressed like a ragamuffin. I mean, if I had worn Nancy's outfits, I probably would have been both world and Olympic champion. Anyway, my counselor told me that I wasn't to blame for all that. She said that I was simply ignorant and a victim of bad fashion sense due to my upbringing, and that after all nobody's perfect. That helped me so much. I can finally sleep at night now, without having nightmares. So, yes, after almost 20 years, I'm finally able to forgive myself and move on. And I just hope others can learn something from my fashion mistakes."

For the rest of this revealing new interview, don't miss next week's PEOPLE!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    at least this April Fool's thread is already in the Trash so I don't have to move it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    at least this April Fool's thread is already in the Trash so I don't have to move it.

genevieve's reply is probably going to be the best April Fool's related post I'm going to read all day.

vCash
    I think it's so funny how the joke post becomes all about her dresses lol

vCash
    Tonya confessed as a birthday present to snoopysnake.

vCash
    is it sad I believed this until the part about the dresses?

vCash
    Finally a good April Fool's day joke!

vCash
    April Fools...jeez, I'm seeing right through all of these.

vCash
    I love how "Tonya" gets more cray-cray as the interview goes on , great job!

vCash
    Not fooled, but entertaining nonetheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    True.

Seriously, I never saw all the fuss about Tonya's dresses. The only one I really disliked was the one she wore for the LP at US Nats in '94. Some of the others were just kind of okay, I've seen a lot worse. And I really liked her '94 Olys LP dress, her '93 and '94 SP dress and especially the pink dress she wore for '93 Skate America SP. And I remember a black dress (not '92 Olys) that I liked a lot.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Blergh
    vCash
    I really had more of an issue with her hair during the early 90s. I know that was probably the look, but it looked so damaged.

vCash
    This was believable even if it was meant as a joke. I could see her doing this in a few years time.

vCash

Re: Harding comes clean about attack against Kerrigan

Ha, ha, I bought this one hook, line, and sinker until the dresses part!! Well done!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

vCash
    I think Tarasova has a trademark on the phrase "black mark".
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Well, Tonya had Post-Traumatic Dress Syndrome.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Glad that many of you got a good laugh out of this.

I honestly didn't think most of her outfits were that bad--they just weren't chic like the outfits of Nancy, Kristi, etc.

vCash
    The part about the dresses was funny - the fashion police should have charged someone with a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ohashibiles View Post
    This was believable even if it was meant as a joke. I could see her doing this in a few years time.
    I can't. In Tonya-World nothing was ever her fault & she was always a victim. There is no evidence that that has changed.