Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Elaine Zayak Interview-TSL Podcast

http://youtu.be/ka-kGjf8zac

First part in a series of clips of their interview with Elaine Zayak that they will be uploading to YouTube. I really enjoy Elaine's candidness. It's refreshing to hear a former skater not hold back on how they felt.

I think their whole interview is available on iTunes if you don't want to wait for the other parts to be posted.

vCash
    LOL about the comments on Roz!

But I think Elaine meant to say Roz appeared in 1982, not 1983. Roz won Nationals in 1982, but was also 5th at Nationals in 1981. So, I'm not sure what Elaine meant when she spoke as if Roz appeared out of nowhere.

vCash
    I've always loved Elaine's candidness, because she pulls it off while remaining good-natured.

At the Olympics, Elaine should have placed 1st in the SP (in my opinion), 2nd at the very least. And she ended up 6th in that segment, I believe. In the LP, I thought she deserved 2nd, just under Tiffany Chin. Elaine had every right to be horribly bitter about the results and, while I know she was disappointed she got the shaft, she was thrilled she skated so well and remained upbeat.

She's one of the best "sports" out there and many other disappointed competitors could do well to take a page out of her book.
    Last edited by skateboy; 03-12-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I've always loved Elaine's candidness, because she pulls it off while remaining good-natured.

At the Olympics, Elaine should have placed 1st in the SP (in my opinion), 2nd at the very least. And she ended up 6th in that segment, I believe. In the LP, I thought she deserved 2nd, just under Tiffany Chin. Elaine had every right to be horribly bitter about the results and, while I know she wasn't disappointed she got the shaft, she was thrilled she skated so well and remained upbeat.
    There was a thread a couple years ago re placement in the SP at the '84 Olympics (I may have started it). But, I would've had Zayak in 3rd (interchangeable with Ivanova), but Witt and Chin ahead. Anyway, we can both agree that she was the biggest case of wuz-robbed in the SP at Sarajevo.

vCash
    I listened to the whole interview on iTunes and for me her most surprising comments were about the Nancy attack in '94 and how immediately after the attack all the skaters in the locker room thought Tonya was involved.

vCash
    That's right - forgot she was at 1994 us nationals. So she was there and competing. That should be some good stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I listened to the whole interview on iTunes and for me her most surprising comments were about the Nancy attack in '94 and how immediately after the attack all the skaters in the locker room thought Tonya was involved.
    That had me !!

Looks like they just uploaded another clip of the interview focusing on 94 Nationals: http://youtu.be/jvKjQxCQ7Uo

vCash
    I wish Elaine would elaborate on what she meant about how Tonya was a "special" person, LOL. Elaine's take on Roz is interesting; We usually hear pc statements about how "Oh we were rivals back then but we have such respect for each other now", blah,blah, blah, but it sounds like Elaine has never developed any warm feeling toward Roz over the years.

vCash
    Hell, when I heard about the attack on Nancy I thought it was Tonya's doing.

vCash
    The whole segment on Tonya is amazing.

vCash
    This interview is so awesome. I love the clips of 80s skaters appearing on a game show, and I love Elaine. Jenny and Dave work together to get us a lot of sides of the skater's life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    http://youtu.be/ka-kGjf8zac

First part in a series of clips of their interview with Elaine Zayak that they will be uploading to YouTube. I really enjoy Elaine's candidness. It's refreshing to hear a former skater not hold back on how they felt.

I think their whole interview is available on iTunes if you don't want to wait for the other parts to be posted.
    I had a good friend that was a skater and every time someone came to town she would invite me and my mom to the rink to meet them...it was fun ...and I didn't really know who they were at the time but Years ago I had the opportunity to meet both Roz and E..... Roz threw a fit was pissed she had to talk to the little skaters there ..yelled at her coach and wanted to brush her hair. She was very articulate though... I remembered thinking my mom would have killed me if I acted that way and I was amused/mortified by her behavior...HEY everyone has a bad day...

I also met Elaine...she said "her favorite class was cooking" and I remember my mom saying to me you will take a speech class...she had some issues being articulate apparently...but hey one thing about her..she gave you the time of day, she was sweet and welcoming, she payed attention to the little skaters, and had a smile that lit a room up and it made a difference to me...

I told my mom "I am staying away from speech class for sure!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    it sounds like Elaine has never developed any warm feeling toward Roz over the years.
    Neither have I.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Last edited by skateboy; 03-12-2013 at 06:45 AM.

vCash
    Between Debi Thomas and Elaine Zayak, I'm loving these throwback to the 80's interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I agree. Even when she was speaking about her dad, Roz and the negative comments about her weight, she never came across as bitter about the sport or life. She seems to be in a great place right now and I loved her comments on placing 4th in '94 and 4th place in general.

@ Jenny Kirk throwing out her pewter medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I couldn't believe that either. I can see how someone could not like the "4th place" medal, but I can't help but think that she will regret doing that someday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    I don't like it when you tell a "friend" something in private and then he/she felt the need to blurt it out in public to have a good laugh at the person's expense. I'm sure Jenny didn't mean for David to blurt it out-of-the-blue like that.

vCash
    ^ Exactly, I immediately thought it was a bit crappy of Dave to reveal that...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't like it when you tell a "friend" something in private and then he/she felt the need to blurt it out in public to have a good laugh at the person's expense. I'm sure Jenny didn't mean for David to blurt it out-of-the-blue like that.
    Where are you getting this made-up back story from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    ^ Exactly, I immediately thought it was a bit crappy of Dave to reveal that...
    I think it's okay. . . It's not as if it's a live broadcast. They edit the questions and responses. Plus, based on Dave's comments, Jenny has quite a bit of input in the editing process. They appear to be great friends and if Jenny did not want that segment included, it would not have been included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast