Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Lol its all connected.
    In your world, yes. Elsewhere....probably not so much (or not at all). At least I don't see anyone else jumping to the conclusion that an interview with Frank Carroll is an excuse to attack him because of what happened in 2010.

And I'm not sure how you know what's going to be covered in the interview, since it hasn't been posted yet.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    So did I read somewhere that the interview with Frank Carroll will be posted on April 16?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    From earlier in the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8NS_p7DgY

Jenny and Dave posted a teaser of their interview with Frank, and they're asking him some pretty pointed questions about Chanflation, Tiffany Chin's mom and Chris Bowman's drug addiction.

Heavy stuff. I'm so interested to hear his answers. Frank has always kept things relatively close to the vest, so I wonder how candid he'll be in this interview.

Interview goes up on April 14th!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I can't wait !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think the issue is that Carroll and Lysaceck weren't really attacking anyone. They were spinning their strategy in the most positive way possible. Yes, Carroll may have been aggressive in pointing out Plushenko's weaknesses in transitions and parts of PCS, but he did repeat what Plushenko himself had said.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Wrong. Lysacek did not attack anyone. Saying the truth that the figure skating competition was not only about one jump element is not an attack. In fact, Lysacek was given praise for the sportsmanship that he showed in addressing the post Olympic quad debate.
    I don't want to rehash the 2010 quad stuff (and would prefer for caseyedwards to drop it, too), but this is simply not true. Lysacek and especially Carroll made all sorts of critical comments about other skaters and about the judging in the year leading up to Vancouver, aggressively so in some cases. This included Carroll discussing Joubert's World Champion bonus; arguing after CoC that the edge calls were the result of French/Russian tech callers trying to look out for their skaters at Lysacek's expense while Evan remarked about the judges' poor eyesight; all sorts of whining about the scoring at 2010 US Nats, how Lysacek was lowballed on PCS compared to the past (not true) and comments that seemed to cheapen Abbott's win; and of course, the business with Plushenko (I'd still love to see a precise transcript of what was said at that Bratislava press conference).

It is easy to be sportsmanlike when you win; it is harder to be sportsmanlike when you don't. And anyway, Jeffrey Buttle did a far better job addressing comments about the relative importance of the quad when he won 2008 Worlds, and he had to do it off the cuff with no time to prepare his response or get friendly journalists to help sell his argument.

I seem to recall Dave having a post back in 2010 about the impressive politikking job Carroll did for Lysacek, though I think it was deleted along with the rest of his original AJ blog some time later. I'd love for Dave and Jenny to discuss something along those lines with him, as well as his fondness for conspiracy theories and other complaints, but it doesn't strike me as that sort of interview.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    So Casey, you're fine with the 2013 Worlds results, but the 2010 Olympics were horrible. So it's perfectly fine for Chan to win because he landed two quads, but you're going to conveniently forget he was a human Zamboni at other times in the program. Yet it's a travesty for Lysacek to win because he didn't do a quad. GMAFB
    I was kind of struck by that myself.

More on topic, I wish Dave and Jenny would provide transcripts or at least highlights from their interviews. I don't like watching video interviews, but would be very interested to read some of what they're doing.

vCash
    I've never seen someone so obsessed with something relating to skating in my years on this Board.

----------------------------

Anyway, back to FC. So many topics to cover. As stated above. I hope he is candid! -

1.Fratianne - closeness of the relationship; his take on her heartbreaking loss in 1980
    2.Chin- major talent impeded by her mother Marjorie; 3x in practice; Tiffany leaving around 1982 or 1983 and coming back by 1986; what he thinks happened to her jumps along the way where she could only do a 3toe by 1985.
    3.Bowman - drugs sex rock n roll; his deep talent and reportedly terrible work ethic; 'winging it' at important competitions
    4.Kwan- becoming a Senior behind his back in 1992(?); what process effected her transformation from jumping bean in 1995 to elite ice queen; why he thinks she would hold back enough at an Olympics ('98) or choke ('02) enough to let the competition slide by, when that didn't happen at Worlds; of course, parting of ways in an olympic year which was a jarring decision.
    5.Kirk, Nikodinov - ladies that worked with him briefly. General opinions on them.
    6.Nagasu - a lot here, too! Opinion on why a deeply talented skater can never seem to consistently deliver.

vCash
    While I would love to hear his take on the skaters, I am also interested in him. His coaching style, practices, what he considers as his coaching strengths, what he emphasizes, what he sees that others do not, how he motivates others, how he deals with disappointment, etc. I would also like to hear what he thinks needs to change in the judging system, how he works with choreographers, and what he would like his legacy to be. Having never really seen him skate much, I would like to see him do a few elements on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    In your world, yes. Elsewhere....probably not so much (or not at all). At least I don't see anyone else jumping to the conclusion that an interview with Frank Carroll is an excuse to attack him because of what happened in 2010.

And I'm not sure how you know what's going to be covered in the interview, since it hasn't been posted yet.
    Yeah they are going to interview Carroll and talk about bowman and goebel but not lysacek? That makes sense. He is listed second in the Facebook announcement preview!

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't want to rehash the 2010 quad stuff (and would prefer for caseyedwards to drop it, too), but this is simply not true. Lysacek and especially Carroll made all sorts of critical comments about other skaters and about the judging in the year leading up to Vancouver, aggressively so in some cases. This included Carroll discussing Joubert's World Champion bonus; arguing after CoC that the edge calls were the result of French/Russian tech callers trying to look out for their skaters at Lysacek's expense while Evan remarked about the judges' poor eyesight; all sorts of whining about the scoring at 2010 US Nats, how Lysacek was lowballed on PCS compared to the past (not true) and comments that seemed to cheapen Abbott's win; and of course, the business with Plushenko (I'd still love to see a precise transcript of what was said at that Bratislava press conference).

It is easy to be sportsmanlike when you win; it is harder to be sportsmanlike when you don't. And anyway, Jeffrey Buttle did a far better job addressing comments about the relative importance of the quad when he won 2008 Worlds, and he had to do it off the cuff with no time to prepare his response or get friendly journalists to help sell his argument.

I seem to recall Dave having a post back in 2010 about the impressive politikking job Carroll did for Lysacek, though I think it was deleted along with the rest of his original AJ blog some time later. I'd love for Dave and Jenny to discuss something along those lines with him, as well as his fondness for conspiracy theories and other complaints, but it doesn't strike me as that sort of interview.

I was kind of struck by that myself.

More on topic, I wish Dave and Jenny would provide transcripts or at least highlights from their interviews. I don't like watching video interviews, but would be very interested to read some of what they're doing.
    Buttle and lysacek just repeated the same stuff as to when it was stojko vs eldredge and it was all it's more than one jump.

What's to be struck by? It was the Olympics! The precious three were won by men who did quads. Plushenko was totally on giving his best performance of the season and one actually better than his 2006 skate because there was no doubling of a jump. Chan fell twice and he was penalized by what about the great record breaking short program?
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 04-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    I give up. Someone needs to change the name of this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    No, a certain someone just needs to stop hijacking the thread with tangential diatribes that have no real relevance to the topic at hand.

It would also help if others stopped feeding it.

vCash
    This is relevant. He was the coach. They're his Statments. His student. But no more until the interview is out. Then it can be seen if they even treat the win as controversial. It was controversial and radical system changes were done but theyre both big fans so it may not be even discussed the way it should be! She's a former student of his.

vCash
    Awesome; can't wait for this interview!

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    No, a certain someone just needs to stop hijacking the thread with tangential diatribes that have no real relevance to the topic at hand.

It would also help if others stopped feeding it.
    The ignore button is your friend.

vCash
    New trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7CrCLD4DcE

MK triple axel
    Irina Slutskaya
    etc

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Jenny said that the interview may be posted as early as tomorrow.

vCash
    Ouch on Irina!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ouch on Irina!
    Oh boy...

Looking forward to the whole video though. Among people they interviewed so far, Frank is probably the most high profile one who is still relevant in elite skating?

vCash
    I spoke to Dave and it will be posted in 2 parts (2 hours total) and part 1 will be posted tomorrow.

vCash
    If he's still bashing slutskaya so harshly I can imagine what he might do against someone who competed agaisnt a current student who didn't fire him!! Lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ouch on Irina!
    Well I guess that answers the "will he be candid?" question.

Thank god too. I want to hear this man's personal opinions, not a bunch of PC answers and platitudes. Hopefully the rest of the interview plays out as such.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast