Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    The various reactions of the different characters really did reflect the gamut of opinion then. The Carnation guy with his respect for Reagan and hatred for the protesters was a very large contingent, so was Don's cynicism and Ginsburg's outrage.
    I pointed out the Carnation meeting scene to my BF who's from Argentina and interested in all things American politics (He can't fathom working class voting Republican). I explained to him the schism outlined in my earlier post. Matthew Weiner is brilliant about capturing the time.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    That year was really the birth of what became the Reagan Democrats, the end of the Democratic party in the South, and the spread of mass protest from the war to the Black Panthers, nascent feminists, environmentalists and eventually the LGBT movement. Sometimes when you watch a political debate forty years later, what they're still arguing about is 1968. Ask President John Kerry....

And political consciousness went so young then. I was arrested two years later protesting the Cambodian invasion. I was fourteen and far from the only one there that age!

(Cue old curmudgeon) AND we managed to do it without smart phones, Facebook, Twitter or even enough money to call long distance.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Talking about politics, I think in this season with only something like 3 episodes left, we'll probably get to the election of Nixon on the Mad Men timeline. I hope that their is a Mad Men season that goes into 1969 - wondering if they could give a shout-out to Stonewall (speaking of the LGBT movement). That happened right there in NYC. It would be interesting to see writing about the MM gang pontificating over rioting Gays. But, I think next season might be the last? and Matthew Weiner has said he was going to make the final season about the present?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I hope that their is a Mad Men season that goes into 1969 - wondering if they could give a shout-out to Stonewall (speaking of the LGBT movement). That happened right there in NYC. It would be interesting to see writing about the MM gang pontificating over rioting Gays.
    And the long awaited return of Sal!!

But, I think next season might be the last? and Matthew Weiner has said he was going to make the final season about the present?
    Yes, Season 7 is the last, according to Weiner. He said that the last episode would show Don in the present-day. But nothing has been said about the season in general. However, most all of this was written about in 2011, so some of it could've changed.

vCash
    OH crap.....I don't think Sally's going to buy the "Me and Mrs. Rosen were just....dancing."

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Shit, meet fan.

vCash
    Has Don finally done something he is genuinely sorry about? Or only sorry he got caught?

This was the rare episode in which Pete was actually pretty likable.

vCash
    Don really showed last night that he's self-centered and not a good parenting model. The excuse to Sally was pathetic.

Megan is a mix of hopelessly naive and self-centered in her own way. I guess you can chalk up her character to just being young.

So, I was trying to wrap my head around Pete's interaction with the new guy (sorry, don't know his name) toward the end of the show. Is the new guy suggesting Manolo, caretaker of Pete's mom, is *gasp* gay? And the knee-touching. Do we have a new gay character in the series? I have to admit Pete's reaction wasn't strictly a 1968 'straight guy' reaction to being touched ...

They really focused on the draft issue this episode. Did Sylvia's son return his draft card to the Government and drop out of school, thus making him prime target for the draft? There was also mention of spending time in Paris. I seem to recall there were huge student protests and riots in Paris in 1968.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    So, I was trying to wrap my head around Pete's interaction with the new guy (sorry, don't know his name) toward the end of the show. Is the new guy suggesting Manolo, caretaker of Pete's mom, is *gasp* gay? And the knee-touching. Do we have a new gay character in the series? I have to admit Pete's reaction wasn't strictly a 1968 'straight guy' reaction to being touched ...
    Bob Benson was indeed saying that Manolo is gay. Yep - it looks like Bob is too, and that he likes Pete Campbell.

Regardless of what you think of Bob's taste in men, I thought that it was odd that he would risk that advance, given that he's been so good at office schmoozing.

They really focused on the draft issue this episode. Did Sylvia's son return his draft card to the Government and drop out of school, thus making him prime target for the draft? There was also mention of spending time in Paris. I seem to recall there were huge student protests and riots in Paris in 1968.
    Exactly what he did. Earlier in the season they mentioned that he was studying in Paris, and they talked about how Sylvia was concerned for him because of the riots.

Poor Sally, the therapist's couch awaits...

Also - Mark Lindsay!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP8G4clUJBY

vCash
    "I don't want their juice, I want my juice!"

http://www.happyplace.com/24466/mad-...n-6-episode-11

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Bob Benson was indeed saying that Manolo is gay. Yep - it looks like Bob is too, and that he likes Pete Campbell.

Regardless of what you think of Bob's taste in men, I thought that it was odd that he would risk that advance, given that he's been so good at office schmoozing.
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too. I mean, he KNOWS Pete is straight. So why would he risk it?

There's an excellent discussion of all things Bob and how gay men lived at that time here:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06...le-favors.html

vCash
    Too bad Sal was let go. He and Bob would've made a cute couple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too. I mean, he KNOWS Pete is straight. So why would he risk it?

There's an excellent discussion of all things Bob and how gay men lived at that time here:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/06...le-favors.html
    That was excellent - thank you. One of the things they point out, that I hadn't really thought about, is that we know much more about Pete than Bob does. This really could be the reason for the knee. Bob just didn't have enough information.

During the discussion of the "toe-tapping in tea rooms" all I could think of was the Larry Craig airport incident.

I also loved the discussion about the differences between Bob and Sal. Poor Sal...

vCash
    Related to MM: I've often wondered why did someone who was 40 years old in this timeframe look/appear much older than a 40 year old today - Not just in the show but in real life. Was it dress? difference in nutrition? technology? greater acceptance of smoking and drinking? societal expectations (marrying / having children at a younger age)

vCash
    I think it's the hairstyles, styles, smoking, drinking, lighting, etc.
    I saw the actress who plays Sylvia on a talk show and she looked very different and younger.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I think it's the hairstyles, styles, smoking, drinking, lighting, etc.
    I saw the actress who plays Sylvia on a talk show and she looked very different and younger.
    Totally different expectations for what grownups looked like. Bouffant hairdos, even Megan teases her hair, and makeup with a trowel. Undergarments that made figures unnatural. No-one over 25 wore jeans except for gardening or camping. Really bad eating habits (although less of an overall problem with obesity, portions were smaller) and the alcohol and cigarette consumption was insane.

And most important, only weirdos and real jocks exercised. My mom has never been in a gym in her life, wouldn't know a yoga mat from a bath mat, used to drive three blocks rather than walk - and she was thin, luckily for her. All the things we do as part of our natural routines, running or skiing or yoga or cardio or strength training or skating or swimming -- nada in any real sense.

I admit I come from a particularly anti-athletic culture (my ex-husband once said that in my family a body is just a platform for a head) but my memories of the sixties and seventies are that no-one bothered til Jane Fonda put on a leotard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    "I don't want their juice, I want my juice!"

http://www.happyplace.com/24466/mad-...n-6-episode-11
    That was funny.

Great episode. Sally catching Don was totally unexpected and seeing Don freaked out really made it.

Also loved Peggy ringing Stan up and then the next scene she had a cat. Very funny.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Totally different expectations for what grownups looked like. Bouffant hairdos, even Megan teases her hair, and makeup with a trowel. Undergarments that made figures unnatural. No-one over 25 wore jeans except for gardening or camping. Really bad eating habits (although less of an overall problem with obesity, portions were smaller) and the alcohol and cigarette consumption was insane.

And most important, only weirdos and real jocks exercised. My mom has never been in a gym in her life, wouldn't know a yoga mat from a bath mat, used to drive three blocks rather than walk - and she was thin, luckily for her. All the things we do as part of our natural routines, running or skiing or yoga or cardio or strength training or skating or swimming -- nada in any real sense.

I admit I come from a particularly anti-athletic culture (my ex-husband once said that in my family a body is just a platform for a head) but my memories of the sixties and seventies are that no-one bothered til Jane Fonda put on a leotard.
    Sliding OT - But I seem to remember as a kid in the 1970s that Farrah Fawcett turned many on to a (relatively) more active lifestyle - active, all-American gal jogging and playing tennis, not as a pro but a hi-profile casual player. I especially remember jogging becoming popular among the common man in the 1970s - My parents used to force me to run around the local HS track in the AM on Summer vacations a few times and I was always ready to barf. My uncles used to have a rudimentary weight set in a basement, but they were obsessed with muscle.

Otherwise, yeah, I don't remember exercise being mainstream until recently ...

vCash
    My mother was a typical '60's mom. She swam a lot in the summer and basically ate salad, drank iced tea, and cocktails the rest of the time. After having 5 kids, she still maintained her figure.
    Then, osteoperosis hit like the devil.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast