Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Are Megan's days numbered? The latest speculation. Caused by the shirt she was wearing on the balcony...
    http://tvline.com/2013/05/29/mad-men...s-sharon-tate/

and the latest "Facebook" update: http://www.happyplace.com/24209/mad-...on-6-episode-9
    And here I was, wondering why she was wearing a Macy's shirt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    These just keep getting better.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    And here I was, wondering why she was wearing a Macy's shirt.
    LOL! Same here. I thought to myself, "Did Macy's sponsor this particular episode?"

vCash
    Megan = Sharon Tate. Creepy. The home invasion episode might have been to prime us to show how 'vulnerable' their apartment building is to intruders, setting us up for Megan's murder. Or Matthew Weiner might just be paying some sort of strange homage to Sharon Tate. The Tate-LaBianca murders took place in August 1969 so that is like a year ahead of the current Mad Men timeline. But, I'm not sure they are going to be able to squeeze that in this season with only like 4 episodes left.

vCash
    I will freak out if this turns out to be true.

vCash
    Or it could just be that this particular t-shirt was popular in the late 60s and Matthew Weiner is into accurate costuming?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    The costume designer, Janie Bryant, responded to a twitter asking if it was an homage to Sharon Tate, saying "it's no coincidence."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The costume designer, Janie Bryant, responded to a twitter asking if it was an homage to Sharon Tate, saying "it's no coincidence."

That still could mean anything They're so secretive, we'll just have to wait and see. I am really looking forward to the rest of the season!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Megan = Sharon Tate. Creepy. The home invasion episode might have been to prime us to show how 'vulnerable' their apartment building is to intruders, setting us up for Megan's murder. Or Matthew Weiner might just be paying some sort of strange homage to Sharon Tate. The Tate-LaBianca murders took place in August 1969 so that is like a year ahead of the current Mad Men timeline. But, I'm not sure they are going to be able to squeeze that in this season with only like 4 episodes left.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

I agree with TLo: Mad Men, and Janie Bryant, are not that obvious when it comes to foreshadowing events.

For anyone not familiar with their Mad Style posts - I really recommend going into the archives. It's pretty amazing stuff.

vCash
    Totally loved the bit of meta with Roger, Don and Harry seeing Danny! Danny Strong, the actor playing Danny, went from playing Jonathon! on Buffy, to wrting the award winning screenplays for Recount and Game Change, and is writing the screenplay for the next movie in the Hunger Games series.

vCash
    Don looked really out of place with all the hippy types being in his suit and tie.

Pete is still an insecure weasel.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    You gotta admit though that last scene where he sits on the couch and smokes weed may be an indication that Pete realizes he needs to let go.

I will say this for Pete: he's not nice but he's prescient. He's trying to warn them about Cutler but no one is listening.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I love the show..... but would rather see/hear more discussions about advertising strategies, creative concepts, process of identifying target audience resulting in client presentations and TV advertisements...... Who needs to see their love afairs? and what is so special about smoking dope and taking acid? We all have love afairs and smoked dope and took acid.... The show states that it is about Advertising World, so it should be about ADVERTISING BUSINESS. Huh!

vCash
    The show really focused on the 1968 Democratic National Convention which was made into a discussion topic for the cast. I liked that (if for anything, it helps me keep track of the timeline!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I love the show..... but would rather see/hear more discussions about advertising strategies, creative concepts, process of identifying target audience resulting in client presentations and TV advertisements...... Who needs to see their love afairs? and what is so special about smoking dope and taking acid? We all have love afairs and smoked dope and took acid.... The show states that it is about Advertising World, so it should be about ADVERTISING BUSINESS. Huh!
    Ummm it is not a documentary?

For the history part of it, what was the significance of that Democratic convention and the riots? I am not familiar with that part of history.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 06-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    ...For the history part of it, what was the significance of that Democratic convention and the riots? I am not familiar with that part of history.
    Politically in the US, things were at a breaking point in 1968. Protests were growing over our involvement in Vietnam. Minorities were rioting, usually provoked by police harassment. University Students and young people were rioting over the military draft and a general disillusionment with society. The economy slowed down. President Johnson was sliding in popularity due to all of the above. The Democratic Party had taken a shellacking in the 1966 congressional elections.

The Democratic National Convention in 1968 was the first real manifestation of a schism in the Democratic Party, the party in governance since 1960, that has acutally existed until very recently into the Bush Jr./Obama era (Bush Jr. has done a good job of reuniting Democrats .. but that's another story). Protests outside the Convention Hall and really throughout the City of Chicago turned into riots. Mayor Daley of Chicago, in an attempt to control things for the Convention, allowed the police to use brutal force in putting down the protests. Meanwhile, at the nominating convention itself, several Democratic lawmakers stood up to protest the war and voice support for the protestors. They were booed and catcalled right on TV by the rank and file, the 'Daley Democrats' (named after Mayor Daley), those blue collar working class people with conservative, 'patriotic' values who thought the protests were Anti-American, but were historically Democrats because the Democrats stood up for the working man since the 1930s. Fights broke out on the Convention floor, too. The rank and file Democrats there and across the country grew disillusioned with this 'leftward tilt' of the Democratic Party and went on to vote for Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan in the 1980s.

So, Mad Men intertwined it into the story line because of this manifestation of disillusionment, I think ....

vCash
    Thanks Olympic for the information.

vCash
    Then there was the trial of the Chicago Seven which further demonstrated the political/cultural chasm in the US.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Seven

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I was 12 in 1968. My mom actually woke me up to watch the TV coverage, I remember hearing "The whole world is watching" over and over. And heard the pissing match between Bill Buckley and Gore Vidal, commentating, in which the former called the latter a f*g and the latter called the former a Nazi. (Me: mom, what's a f*g?) My own mom, then a fairly lefty type, when she saw the cops beating the hippies over the head, said that this is how the Nazis got started....

The various reactions of the different characters really did reflect the gamut of opinion then. The Carnation guy with his respect for Reagan and hatred for the protesters was a very large contingent, so was Don's cynicism and Ginsburg's outrage.

As for "not enough advertising," maybe Tinami and I are the only ones who wouldn't mind more of it. I'm always hysterical that real companies let their names be used, especially since the guys running some of them like Jaguar and Vicks are not shall we say nice. But I think there's a LOT of accurate detail about the creative versus the account types and getting/keeping clients and so on.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Ahh...the '60s...I remember that year. The assasinations, the draft - I remember being relieved that my brother's draft numbers likely meant he wouldn't be called anytime soon - but he did get a scholarship to college so he was deferred any way. I know that he would've gone to Canada if he'd been called up.

The riots at the DNC were on TV every night, as was the war.

Every episode I'm as interested to see what's going to happen in the "outsiide" world, as I am at SC&P (Thank gawd they got that sorted!).

Apparently they didn't feel the need to mention the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of what was driving Abe to the brink.

Still to come this year: Protests at the Miss America Pagent, riots in Mexico City, the Summer Olympics (black power salutes) and boycotts by African Nations, the Wallace-LeMay presidential ticket.

Then, at the end of that tumultous year, we saw this for the very first time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NA...-Earthrise.jpg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast