Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    What a trippy episode! Loved it! Now we know more about why Don is so messed up. Aunt Ida scared the crap out of me. Peggy proves once more how much more adjusted she is than so many other people at SCDPC...(what is it even called now?).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Peggy proves once more how much more adjusted she is than so many other people at SCDPC...(what is it even called now?).
    Sounds like it's going to be a bit of a running joke. What are we called anyway...

vCash
    Loved Ken's tap dancing. He's tap dancing for Chevy and SCDP et al and then literally tap dancing for Don. Brilliant.

Awesome episode. I need to watch it again.

vCash
    It's already been said, but this was quite a trippy episode.

I realized that Don Draper's life journey in the series is an allegory for America's journey thru the 1960s. It starts out pretty superficially ordinary in 1960. Everyone has their place and problems are hidden. But it all hangs out, sometimes in an ugly manner, by 1968

vCash
    Haha the shots reminded me of Dr Roberts "vitamin shots" from Ciao Manhattan! I loved this episode, I've watch is a couple of times,
    mainly for Betty's hilarious lines (and yay for her being blonde and thin again!)

vCash
    BTW, were vitamin shots a 'thing' in the 60s?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    BTW, were vitamin shots a 'thing' in the 60s?
    Well, B-12 shots, which these were in part, have been used for a while as an energy boost. I think that the vitamin became easier and cheaper to synthesize about that time so it could be part of it. As for the extra element. Speed was pretty popular back then so it isn't surprising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Well, B-12 shots, which these were in part, have been used for a while as an energy boost. I think that the vitamin became easier and cheaper to synthesize about that time so it could be part of it. As for the extra element. Speed was pretty popular back then so it isn't surprising.
    Thanks for the explanation. Matthew Weiner is really deft at creating a perfect atmosphere for the 1960s, so I assumed the shots had some sort of significance.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Those kinds of shots were immortalized in Valley of the Dolls. And yes, speed was the key component.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Those kinds of shots were immortalized in Valley of the Dolls. And yes, speed was the key component.
    That was the movie I couldn't remember! Also, if you've ever seen "The Rose", the shots figure in that story.

"B-12" shots were/are a big thing in the entertainment industry. Everybody count up the mysterious heart attacks, exhaustion complaints, ODs and etc., and many of them were either caused or exacerbated by the B-12 cocktail.

Latest Facebook recap: http://www.happyplace.com/24068/mad-...on-6-episode-8 Don Draper has checked into The Floor
    Last edited by znachki; 05-24-2013 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    Love Mad Men on Facebook
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Love Mad Men on Facebook
    Me too! Don Draper using emoticons just cracks me up.

vCash
    I like the groups they join
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    So much in tonight's episode

Betty and Don - who would have thought the chemistry was still there
    Peggy stabbing Abe - in fact all the scenes between them were great
    Joan and Bob - Roger popping in was a surprise
    And fancy Duck making an appearance

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Boy, seeing Don and Betty together one has to admit that they are five of the most gorgeous people on TV. She looks amazing again. Hate her character, of course, but hating Betty is half the fun of Mad Men.

I have to say that back in the day I would have loved fiery revolutionary Abe. And at this age I think he's a stupid self-righteous pain in the butt and Peggy is well-rid of him. But I felt so sorry for her at the end, Ted is so playing games with her and she is again feeling abandoned by the men she trusted, including Don. Poor Peggy.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    This is my favourite Betty Draper compilation on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8MqNdQRbgI

vCash
    Don playing head games with Peggy. He really is reflecting his insecurities onto her, isn't he?

Betty is so needy. She risks a fight with her husband by allowing a cad to proposition then sleeps with her ex later, all to prove to herself she's desirable.

Megan is either self absorbed or naive or both.

vCash
    The look on Peggy's face when Don and Ted both went back to their offices was priceless! Between that and Abe, I think we might be seing a little something different from Peggy in the future. It just felt to me like this could be her big F**k them all moment - ya know?

Looks like Don is catching s**t from all the the women in his life, in one way or another.

And there's Bob "Bunson" again :ROFL: - oh Roger, never change.

Felt to me like a pivotal episode.

Who wants to bet from the "previews" that :

Spoiler

Let's see...Abe mentioned Paris and Prague (the Prague Spring), so this was before the Soviet Invasion which was late August, and also before the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago and the summer Olympics (October) and the Black Power salutes.

The next episodes are going to be packed full...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    The look on Peggy's face when Don and Ted both went back to their offices was priceless! Between that and Abe, I think we might be seing a little something different from Peggy in the future. It just felt to me like this could be her big F**k them all moment - ya know?
    I think it is a turning point for Peggy too - something has to give. I loved that physically she had no make-up and hair was greasy, and then just left standing alone in the middle of a busy office with doors being closed at either end. She is being used as a pawn by both Ted and Don for them to one-up each other.

Love Roger. His daughter berating him for taking her son to Planet of the Apes and then his reaction was a classic.

vCash
    Are Megan's days numbered? The latest speculation. Caused by the shirt she was wearing on the balcony...
    http://tvline.com/2013/05/29/mad-men...s-sharon-tate/

and the latest "Facebook" update: http://www.happyplace.com/24209/mad-...on-6-episode-9
    Last edited by znachki; 05-30-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast