Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Stop watching it then. I still enjoy it, so I'm going to keep watching. They've planned the end anyway, so I'd like to see what they do with it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I do think the show is getting repetitive now, at least when it comes to Don. His lack of self awareness is irritating and I'm tired of the writers using his effed up childhood to excuse it. He knows what he's doing is wrong. Take a cue from Sally and Roger and get a therapist already! Alas, since Don seems to hate change that is unlikely to happen.

As for Trudy, I was with her until she said she wasn't getting divorced because she doesn't fail at things. I guess it was a step in the right direction.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    As for Trudy, I was with her until she said she wasn't getting divorced because she doesn't fail at things. I guess it was a step in the right direction.
    I dare say that her whole life had been geared towards getting married, having kids, having a big house. Divorcing in her eyes could definately be seen as a sign of failure that it didn't work. And she probalby doesn't want that on her "resume".
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I can definitely understand why Trudy would see divorce as a failure, especially in light of how she and most women in her class had been raised. Still, I would have loved it if she went all the way and asked for a divorce. Right now, it still feels as if Pete is getting what he wants. He still gets to say that he is married but he also gets to play the field and get out of the suburban life he hates. So he ultimately seems like the winner.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I do think the show is getting repetitive now, at least when it comes to Don. His lack of self awareness is irritating and I'm tired of the writers using his effed up childhood to excuse it. He knows what he's doing is wrong. Take a cue from Sally and Roger and get a therapist already! Alas, since Don seems to hate change that is unlikely to happen.

Re Don: people don't change. I think that's the fundamental message here They tried to redeem him and failed. Megan isn't yet aware of the parallels between herself and Betty, and it'll be interesting if/when she finds out.

Re Trudy: It was the 60s. Divorce still wasn't all that common, especially in the suburbs. Pete doesn't entirely have what he wanted, since we saw him so miserable at the end. He wanted it all - the infidelity and the marriage. His depression seems to be a continuing theme from last season, I think. Now, he doesn't have any of it. His marriage is a sham, and any future affair isn't really infidelity because his wife doesn't care any more. He's managed to lose his family without gaining his freedom.

Meanwhile...didn't he have an affair with the nanny from across the hall a few seasons ago? Wasn't he warned then, by the nanny's employer, not to shit where he eats? I can't believe he went for a neighbour again

vCash
    Poor Pete, he so wants to be Don, but he just can't get it right.

vCash
    Tonight's episode was really good. Harry being assertive towards Joan and then demanding a partnership was hilarious. And then the whole ketchup business was a classic. Don is back to being his hypocritical self.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Tonight's episode was really good. Harry being assertive towards Joan and then demanding a partnership was hilarious. And then the whole ketchup business was a classic. Don is back to being his hypocritical self.
    That whole scenario of Harry and Joan and the partner's reaction totally ticked me off. They completely undermined her, but it was also completely real. Joan's handing over of the supply and timecard keys, after her conversation wiht her friend, is a big sign of change for her. I think that there will be a reckoning. Joan's been completely classy, but she knows where the skeletons are buried...

As for Don, well, you certainly know that was coming. He's attracted to intelligent strong women, but then when they exhibit those tendencies, he needs to dominate them, either physically or verbally. All his women need to get together and talk. Could you just see that!?

So, we heard about Bobby Kennedy on the TV, but they were still talking about LBJ running. That puts this episode after 1/1 (obviously) but before 3/31, which is when Johnson announced he wouldn't run. What I missed in that background TV, was what they said about Kennedy specifically, but the New Hampshire primary in early March would be a guess.

So, we'll be coming up on MLK and RFK assasinations and riots

vCash
    I thought Joan handled herself so well. Harry is a worm and what he does not know that is that everyone dislikes and no one respects him.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Mad Men on Facebook thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    They're at it again! The peeps that brought you Downton Abbey on facebook, now bring you Mad Men.

Episodes 1 & 2:

http://www.happyplace.com/23042/mad-...son6-episode-1

Episode 3

http://www.happyplace.com/23212/mad-...on-6-episode-3

Don Draper's subconcious added a photo to the private album "Dick Whitman's Depression-Era Childhood" ...why the hell do I look like Alfalfa?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Last night's episode was great. So many fantastic moments in it.

Pete and Trudy's Dad in the whorehouse, and then Trudy cracking it at Pete when he mentioned it to her
    Roger is always classic
    Joan balling out Don
    Love it whenever Megan's mum comes to visit
    Herb's wife was a pain the arse and Megan's mum reaction to her was so funny

vCash
    You mean Peaches? That cracked me up.

Such a packed episode. I loved Joan calling Don out, and did you notice the asskisser watching from the stairs? Is he a mole? Or just a brown noser. Will he get his comeuppance?

More enterprising folks than I have figured out the the Chevy account is for - wait for it - the Chevy Vega! Apparently it was the car of the year, but then started having many problems, and was one of the cars that led to the decline of the American automotive industry.

Given the timeline of the show, we are almost at the RFK assasination.

I think the rest of the season will be a wild ride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I loved Joan calling Don out, and did you notice the asskisser watching from the stairs? Is he a mole? Or just a brown noser. Will he get his comeuppance?
    I totally agree about the brownnoser. Who is that guy and what is he doing in the show? It seems really odd. But there must be a purpose for him later on.

vCash
    When she mentioned Tenafly (NJ), I cringed at such a cliche idiot representing my home town. Of course, as of 1968 I still lived in neighboring Englewood, which is where Herb's dealership is located. Maybe that's where my dad went to test drive a Jaguar when he was feeling aspirational.

vCash
    I totally agree about the brownnoser. Who is that guy and what is he doing in the show? It seems really odd. But there must be a purpose for him later on.
    My husband has suggested he might be Don's son (that Don doesn't know about) from another relationship, but that would suggest Don had him at about age 16 which doesn't make a lot of sense.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Oh Pete, you slimy idiot. Telling your wife you caught her father in a mid-town whore house is also admitting that you were in a mid-town whore house. She might have put up with your infidelity when she could pretend it wasn't happening, but when you tell her that? I'm glad she kicked your (probably disease ridden) ass out!

And poor Peggy She does like the older, married guys. Remember Duck? And Pete was engaged/married too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    My husband has suggested he might be Don's son (that Don doesn't know about) from another relationship, but that would suggest Don had him at about age 16 which doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Maybe he is Roger's son that Roger didn't know about.

vCash
    What do you all think of the merger? I have a bad feeling about it. Peggy's reaction was subdued and negative at the same time. She'll never truly get away from Don, will she?

As for Pete, maybe he just doesn't care anymore. He had to know that revealing the info about Trudy's dad would also let the cat out of the bag about his infidelity. I think he was really angered about Trudy's father hypocrisy (which was justified) but at the same time, he revealed just how small a person he is.

vCash
    What do you all think of the merger? I have a bad feeling about it. Peggy's reaction was subdued and negative at the same time. She'll never truly get away from Don, will she?

As for Pete, maybe he just doesn't care anymore. He had to know that revealing the info about Trudy's dad would also let the cat out of the bag about his infidelity. I think he was really angered about Trudy's father hypocrisy (which was justified) but at the same time, he revealed just how small a person he is.
    The merger is interesting. Happy to wait to see where it goes. Although Peggy's level of discomfort was obvious.

I don't think Pete even considered about himself in the whorehouse. He just wanted to get back at Trudy's dad for taking Vicks off him. Very short sighted. As much as Pete is a slimeball he really is a great character for the show. And the receding hairline just adds to his peronality.

vCash
    Found this link to a great summary of the episode from another forum. Good reading.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/for-i...release,96926/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast