Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I have a soft spot for Pete. He's a slimeball but I can't help it. Probably because I find Vincent Kartheiser attractive

Poor Peggy. Don never gave her the respect she earned, and going independent at CGC was a great way to spread her wings. Now she's stuck with him again.

Still can't stand Megan. At least her hilarious mother appeared (though I didn't think Peaches was quite annoying enough to deserve her snark).

Didn't miss Betty AT ALL. I don't understand why she still gets storylines, unless a certain number of episodes is written into January Jones's contract.

vCash
    I don't know why everyone is assuming the brown noser is anyone's secret son. I highly, highly doubt it, because it's a little too soapy for Mad Men. I think he's just an aspirational social climber at a time when social status was still very much inherent as a birth right. The 60s saw the start of the change to that, and that's all I think it is. Don broke away from his class, but he stole an identity to do it. I wonder if we'll see some kind of echo of that through brown noser guy, since Mad Men loves coming in full circles.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I don't know why everyone is assuming the brown noser is anyone's secret son. I highly, highly doubt it, because it's a little too soapy for Mad Men. I think he's just an aspirational social climber at a time when social status was still very much inherent as a birth right. The 60s saw the start of the change to that, and that's all I think it is. Don broke away from his class, but he stole an identity to do it. I wonder if we'll see some kind of echo of that through brown noser guy, since Mad Men loves coming in full circles.
    I think we are joking when we say brown noser is the son of any particular character on the show.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I have a soft spot for Pete. He's a slimeball but I can't help it. Probably because I find Vincent Kartheiser attractive

Poor Peggy. Don never gave her the respect she earned, and going independent at CGC was a great way to spread her wings. Now she's stuck with him again.

Still can't stand Megan. At least her hilarious mother appeared (though I didn't think Peaches was quite annoying enough to deserve her snark).

Didn't miss Betty AT ALL. I don't understand why she still gets storylines, unless a certain number of episodes is written into January Jones's contract.
    So love this post.
    I don't like Pete, but he is so entertaining on the show. (and I love how Vincent K is now engaged to Alexis Bledel). And I do love Trudy. If they get divorced, I hope we still get to see here.
    Unlike with Betty - they are divorced, why do we have to see her at all? But keep Sally. Part of me wishes that Betty would die and the kids would live with Don. He would want to dump Meagan, but can't since she will raise the kids for him. But it would interfere with her career, even though she seems to care for the kids.
    The contract reason is probably why Betty is still around,unfortunately.
    And yes - Megan's mother is great. Sorry she did not hook up with Roger again.
    Poor Joan - I don't blame her for being pissed about Jaguar and so loved her calling out Don. I enjoy their relationship.
    Yes, Peggy was not happy. Interesting to see where this will go. I knew she would somehow end up back working with them.
    I do enjoy how we don't know what is going to happen.

vCash
    Why all the Betty hate? She's no more detestable as a character than Don or Pete.

She's still on the show because January Jones is a great actress who does a wonderful job of depicting a bitchy housewife and not particularly pleasant mother. The divorce wasn't a plot device to get her off the show - it was to generate new storylines for both her and Don.

I think her character has had a really interesting journey, from being the perfectly coiffed, svelte model housewife waiting in bed for her husband in full make up in the first episode, all "yes darling, whatever you want", to becoming unhappy with her marriage, depressed, having an unwanted third child, contemplating divorce and abortion, having an emotional affair and finally getting divorced and remarried...only to find that Henry wasn't as perfect as she had thought. Now she's battling her weight, fading beauty and the onset of middle age, her journey is as interesting as ever. She's not in every episode, but I'm looking forward to her next one.

The whole intrigue of Mad Men is the social history that runs throughout as well the fact the characters are so unlikeable. Joan and Peggy are better than most, but even they have had their moments of detestable decisions. Human frailty is a key theme.#

Since Betty has stayed on beyond divorce, as have both of Roger's ex-wives, I assume that Trudi will too. I can't wait to see what she does to him!

vCash
    "Facebook" recap is up: http://www.happyplace.com/23771/mad-...on-6-episode-6

My favorite this week? Everything out of Marie's mouth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I think her character has had a really interesting journey, from being the perfectly coiffed, svelte model housewife waiting in bed for her husband in full make up in the first episode, all "yes darling, whatever you want", to becoming unhappy with her marriage, depressed, having an unwanted third child, contemplating divorce and abortion, having an emotional affair and finally getting divorced and remarried...only to find that Henry wasn't as perfect as she had thought. Now she's battling her weight, fading beauty and the onset of middle age, her journey is as interesting as ever. She's not in every episode, but I'm looking forward to her next one.

The whole intrigue of Mad Men is the social history that runs throughout as well the fact the characters are so unlikeable.
    I'll bet Betty winds up addicted to something she uses to lose weight. There were all sorts of pills being shilled to housewives in that era. "Mother's little helper" and all that.

vCash
    Actually, Betty's storyline could be huge if you think about it. Her husband is running for political office. Was it as dirty then as it is now? Is there any way Henry's opponents/enemies could find out about Don's history? Discredit him through Betty, that idea of discord at home, bad politician, etc.

We all knew Peggy was going to end back up with Don & company. I love scenes with her and Joan, and her and Roger, so I'll look on the upside.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    I'll bet Betty winds up addicted to something she uses to lose weight. There were all sorts of pills being shilled to housewives in that era. "Mother's little helper" and all that.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised. I actually thought that they were going to do that last season.

vCash
    I love Betty. I do prefer her blonde though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    That's a really, really good thought

vCash
    Betty is not back yet. But those scenes between Don and Sylvia were really creepy. I have no idea what game Don was playing there.

Pete just cannot win, can he? Now being lumped with his mother.

Interesting development between brown noser and Joan. I gained a whole new respect for him tonight.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The scenes between Don and Sylvia were a 1968 version of 9 1/2 Weeks. Don is slowly unraveling and toxic in his relationships. It becomes more and more clear.

The handling of the RFK Assassination was quite deft IMO - If you juxtapose the way the JFK Assassination was handled a couple of years ago, riveting, the RFK Assassination showed a mixture of sadness and final loss of innocence (Megan) to the completely uncaring and cynical (Don -walking by his own wife's grief). Perhaps this showed where America had traveled between 1963 and 1968? Pete's mother informing Pete about the RFK Assassination (and his response) was inappropriately hilarious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Pete's mother informing Pete about the RFK Assassination (and his response) was inappropriately hilarious.
    Poor Pete. His mother is so confused, it makes perfect sense he'd think she'd gone back to 63...especially since she then said he'd be late for school!

Respect for the brown noser. I'm glad he kept his job in the end. And I laughed at the furniture polish incident too. I wonder how she explained THAT to the doctors!

vCash
    I love this analysis of episode 7. It really takes the margarine (fake) and butter (real) motif to such awesome conclusions. I was so gleeful at Don's illusion of control shattering to little pieces. He doesn't have control over anything. Sylvia, Peggy, and Ted all get the better of him in the end. I so loved Peggy and Sylvia in this episode. Don has to change and maybe the obvious loss of control will finally make him get his shit together. I wonder how long before Megan realizes the marriage is done. Don has clearly lost all interest in her. She deserves better than him.

@olympic: That's an insightful view on the RFK assassination.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Don will never change, he is just one of those men.

No Betty

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post

vCash
    Wow! Trippy episode. So many crashes last night. Ken's car crash, all those SCDPCGC peeps on the B-Vitamin and "Proprietary Stimulants" Cocktail and Don's own personal crash.

How funny is Harry Hamlin as Cutler? Cutler & Sterling together are the Statler & Waldorf of Mad Men.

We learned so much more about Don's "pathology", if you will. This is one screwed up puppy, and you wonder, if perhaps, he might just have gleaned a little wisdom this time (probably not). I thought that it was somewhat telling that he actually called to talk to Sally. And what a burn from her. "I realized that I don't know anything about you".

And - skinny blond bitchy Betty is back!

vCash
    I think last night was the obligatory WTF episode they seem to have each season.

I didn't realise Harry Hamlin was in it until I saw the credits. I remember him from LA Law. Loving his character in Mad Men.

Stan is still hilarious as usual. And didn't know Kenny could tap dance. Not much Pete this time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast