Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Mad Men Season 6

This starts soon. Anyone else looking forward to it? I thought the last season really excelled itself.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Still consistently one of the best shows on TV. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

vCash
    Can't wait!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    So true - one of the best shows - evah! I have a big crush on Jon Hamm and John Slattery.
    And relating to other topics in this forum, this is one show I can see rewatching from beginning to end sometime after the show ends. There are not many shows I would rewatch (The West Wing and the original Dallas) and this makes the list.
    I see Meghan in the promo pictures. I am curious to see how Don's marriage is going, if it is still going.
    How will Peggy eventually get back to the firm? I hope she does something kick ass first though (Virginia Slims??)!
    And hope we see lots of Sally, but very little of Betty!

vCash
    I thought the scene with Peggy saying she was leaving was one of the best in the whole last series. Although Pete and Lane having the fight was hilarious too.

I wonder about Don and Meghan's marriage too.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Can't wait to see it. It's one of those shows where the hour flies by.

vCash
    I read the first episode is two hours.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Yes, it premieres tonight in the U.S., 9-11 pm Eastern. Episodes 1-2 are titled "The Doorway": "In the Season 6 two-hour premiere, Don spearheads a new campaign, Roger gets some unsettling news, and Betty takes in a houseguest."

Can people outside the U.S. watch the preview videos posted on the AMC site? http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So, the 2 hour premiere was last night. Any watchers?

vCash
    Yes I did. But I don't want to give anything away. All I can say it was true to form.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but the premiere didn't get me excited for the season ahead at all. If we're in for another season of overwrought imagery and Don's extistential angst, I'm going to get bored very quickly.

This season starts around Christmas 1967 and the episode ended around New Year's 1968. So it's about a seven month jump? I can't recall exactly "when" in the decade last season ended. Given the tumultuous year in 1968, there's a lot of potential. So I'm hopeful.

Death continues to be a prominent theme. We saw almost nothing of Pete or Joan. It was nice to see them keep Peggy connected with Stan. I LOL when Sally referred to her mother as Betty.

Many characters have evolved their looks. Pete with sideburns! I don't know what was going on with Roger's hair (it had a Flock of Seagulls look to it), and Harry doesn't wear sixties hair well at all.

Betty has turned positively creepy. That talk with her husband about raping a teenager to spice things up was odd. I don't like her as a brunette either. She looks less like Elizabeth Taylor and more like Henry's mother. Betty has always been easily swayed by suggestion, and I guess the squatter's comment about her being a bottle blonde was her way of defining herself differently than wife and mother. Whatever. I stopped caring about Betty long ago as anything except a target for Sally's teenage angst.

It was hardly a surprise that we'd see Don cheating on Megan, but I didn't know who it would be. The neighbor is a bit of a step-down from his glamorous wife, but I suppose that's the point.

Loved seeing Mona - she was a bright spot in the episode.

I wasn't feeling the new account guy at all. Would have rather spent some time with Pete or see more of Joan.

Anyway, those are my completely random thoughts.

vCash
    I pretty much agree with Bostonfan's comments. So much going on. I think I'm going to miss the early seasons when most of the action was confined to the Sterling Cooper offices. I wondered about Don's misfire with the ad campaign. Was it due to his feelings about death in this episode, or is he losing his touch? How many seasons more are planned?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Betty has turned positively creepy. That talk with her husband about raping a teenager to spice things up was odd. I don't like her as a brunette either. She looks less like Elizabeth Taylor and more like Henry's mother. Betty has always been easily swayed by suggestion, and I guess the squatter's comment about her being a bottle blonde was her way of defining herself differently than wife and mother. Whatever. I stopped caring about Betty long ago as anything except a target for Sally's teenage angst.
    So agree with you on this. It was icky - and I'm not usually bothered by stuff like that. I sometimes think that the only reason to keep her around is becasue they want to keep a Sally storyline. Although did anyone get the feeling that the violin girl - and have we even seen her before - was a stand-in for Sally in a way?

I do hope that Weiner can climb out of his own navel on this. I'm viewing this as just the set-up for the rest of the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Although did anyone get the feeling that the violin girl - and have we even seen her before - was a stand-in for Sally in a way?

I do hope that Weiner can climb out of his own navel on this. I'm viewing this as just the set-up for the rest of the season.
    I thought I had just missed something in a previous episode--and I've seen all of them--about the violin girl because I had no idea who she was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I thought I had just missed something in a previous episode--and I've seen all of them--about the violin girl because I had no idea who she was.
    Someone on another board wondered if she was the daughter of Betty's friend that had cancer (I don't remember her either ). Se did mention that her mother was dead.

vCash
    Betty talking to Henry about raping that girl was really uncalled for.
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    I think it probably should have only been a normal length episode instead of making it nearly 2 hours.

vCash
    Go Trudi! The single best scene of tonight's show
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Go Trudi! The single best scene of tonight's show
    Totally agree. Pete is so smarmy. He needed a kick in the nuts.

Ketchup and Beans was funny.

vCash
    This show needs to end, soon. It's getting ... stupid
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast