Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Summer Glau is another whose series keep getting cancelled. Firefly, Terminator, and The Cape.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Summer Glau is another whose series keep getting cancelled. Firefly, Terminator, and The Cape.
    Ooh, The Cape! I remember that one, another great show not given a chance. (Didn't remember Summer Glau was in it tho.)

vCash
    All the gushing over Linda Gray in Dallas in one of the other threads made me think of my #1 gone too soon show: Norman Lear's All That Glitters (1977). Women were the stronger sex and ruled the world; men were secretaries who tried to sleep their way to the top (Gary Sandy pre - WKRP in Cincinnati) or house husbands (the brilliant Chuck McCann who spent most of every episode crying in a closet while wife Lois Nettleton was romancing her secretary.)

And what about Linda Gray, you ask. She played a fashion model hired to be the spokesperson for an ad campaign for beer. Trouble ensued when it was revealed that the fashion model was transgender.

Norman Lear, wherever you are, I LOVED this show.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Which tv show was cancelled too early?

All That Glitters sounds fascinating and ahead of its time. I will have to see if it is on YouTube.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    All I can say is that I loved it and it WAS ahead of its time; how well it would wear now I don't know. I cried when it was cancelled, just about the time that the Barbara Baxley corporation head character was revealed to be in an interracial relationship with her chauffeur IIRC. I won't say more; I don't want to spoil the surprises if you are able to find it anywhere.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    All the gushing over Linda Gray in Dallas in one of the other threads made me think of my #1 gone too soon show: Norman Lear's All That Glitters (1977). Women were the stronger sex and ruled the world; men were secretaries who tried to sleep their way to the top (Gary Sandy pre - WKRP in Cincinnati) or house husbands (the brilliant Chuck McCann who spent most of every episode crying in a closet while wife Lois Nettleton was romancing her secretary.)

And what about Linda Gray, you ask. She played a fashion model hired to be the spokesperson for an ad campaign for beer. Trouble ensued when it was revealed that the fashion model was transgender.

I LOVED that show! Definitely gone too soon. Great cast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Tha...rs_(TV_series)

Wasn't it on after Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman?
    Last edited by Rob; 04-06-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Just shoot me.
    Oh, I loved this show.

Titus was gone too soon. I've seen Chris Titus do standup live twice, and he's amazing.

vCash
    MTV had some great original programming in the early 90s that got cancelled way too early: the Ben Stiller Show, Pirate Television, Just Say Julie.

Does anyone remember the Jerry Springer parody, Night Stand, with Timothy Stack? I was watching some eps on youtube and its one of those shows where you always catch new things.

vCash

I loved that show! I was thinking about it when someone up thread mentioned "The Powers that Be". It made me think of the All That Glitters theme song (I dunno why, that's just the way my mind works sometimes) "one moring the lord she woke up to say, I think I'm going to be creative today - or something like that.

vCash
    in terms of some cable sitcoms:

Flight of the Conchords (but probably only 1 or 2 more seasons tops)
    Party Down (although Adam Scott and Jane Lynch have gone on to projects with more visibility)

A lot of the shows mentioned in the thread deserved longer runs, but I think most of them must have been expensive to produce, and the networks were expecting at least some threshold rating to justify renewal.
    Last edited by Seerek; 04-07-2013 at 10:21 PM.

vCash
    Anyone remember Grosse Point on the WB? It was a behind the scenes spoof of teen soaps like 90210 and Dawson's Creek. The show was created by Darren Starr, who actually created 90210. Reportedly, before the show aired, Aaron Spelling threw a sh*t fit to one of the WB executives because one of the female characters was a parody of Tori. In the original script, said character was supposed to be the daughter of the show's executive producer, that was changed before it made it to air.The show was a riot. I remember in one episode it was discovered that the show's main heartthrob was in his 30's and bald. In the final episode, one of the characters married Dweezil Zappa after knowing him for two hours. She hired Elizabeth Berkley (of Saved By The Bell fame) to be a "celebrity bridesmaid" and she came busting into the ceremony late as a parody of her cameo in the Saved By The Bell wedding movie. It's a shame it only lasted 13 episodes, because it was a WB comedy that was actually funny.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    grosse pointe was hysterical. i still remember when the shannen of the group gained wt to play monica lewinsky and became much nicer. apparently all those years she wasnt a bitch, she was hungry.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Breakout kings
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another nighttime soap: Savannah. Mid 90s, three college friends making their way in the world against a steamy southern backdrop. Loved it, miss it

vCash
    Here's a pleasant surprise for me. While watching Mad Med, I saw news that AMC's "The Killing" is coming back in June with a new case for Linden & Holder. Unlike many viewers who abandoned the show because AMC didn't wrap up the murder in the 1st season and didn't like the slow pace, I enjoyed the show and was sad to hear it had been cancelled. I mourned that I wouldn't get to see Holder and Linden together again. So it's quite a nice change of pace to hear that a canceled show has been saved!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Another nighttime soap: Savannah. Mid 90s, three college friends making their way in the world against a steamy southern backdrop. Loved it, miss it
    YES! It was like watching a Danielle Steele novel every week. Guilty pleasure.

vCash

Add me to those who adored the show.
    It did follow "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Tha...rs_(TV_series)

Here's Norman Lear talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5RDk9vFX0
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.

vCash
    ABC's Wide Word of Sports! I just had to mention this show because I grew up watching it and still miss it a lot. Since it was cancelled all the smaller sports it featured has all but disappeared from TV screens.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=P2AZH...%3DP2AZH4FeGsc

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456