View Poll Results: Will we see the same order of podium for ladies at Olympics next year as Worlds this

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

31 31.00%
  • no

69 69.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Will we see the exact same ladies podium in Sochi as in London (same order and all)

I actually cant remember the last time an Olympic podium in a singles event was exactly the same as the World podium of the year before. It has happened in pairs and dance both, but not singles recently. I believe the last time ever it was the same is 1968 for the ladies. So will we see for the first time in 46 years the exact same podium in exactly the same order of finish as the previous years Worlds. Looking at the ladies and where they are at now, it is hard to see any change in the top 3. It is hard to see Kim not winning, it is hard to see Asada overtaking Kostner, and it is hard to see Asada slipping off the podium, but then again given history it is tempting to think something different will happen, just no idea which yet.

vCash
    Kostner only beat Mao by a point so by could totally switch in order.

Bronze and 4th were separated by 7 points.

Kim Yuna was perfect But that's actually pretty rare! She has been beaten by ando and Mao.

vCash
    It should be Yuna, Caro and Mao on the podium as they are clearly the best 3. Maybe not the same order depending on how Mao is skating

Unless Carolina has another one of her signature Olympic meltdowns!

vCash
    One of the Russian will be fighting for gold with Carolina. Mao and Kim for silver. imho

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I think someone will pull an upset for a bronze and one of those 3 will be out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zerom10 View Post
    One of the Russian will be fighting for gold with Carolina. Mao and Kim for silver. imho
    I don´t believe that a Russian skater will be fighting for gold, at least not Tuk or Sot, since they have never stood on the Worlds podium.

vCash
    No, ice is too slippery. I don't think we've ever seen a World podium repeat, or a World podium turn into the same Olympic podium.

If it happens, ladies will have become much like the old days of ice dance (ie PCS = reputation judging). But I doubt Carolina, Mao and Yuna will all be able to deliver...one of Kanako, Ashley, Liza, Adelina, Gracie or Katelyn (or someone else?) will get an Olympic medal.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    No, Krusty YummyCoochie, Nancy Kwan, and Ludmila Skatelikehellova are all making comebacks, so everyone else will have to wait until 2018.

vCash
    Kostner will win gold, with Kim in second and Wagner bronze.

vCash
    I think Yu-Na's definitely going to be in the top spot, but I'm not sure about silver and bronze. It might be Mao and Carolina switched around, or someone else instead of Carolina. She doesn't have a history of skating well at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think Yu-Na's definitely going to be in the top spot, but I'm not sure about silver and bronze. It might be Mao and Carolina switched around, or someone else instead of Carolina. She doesn't have a history of skating well at the Olympics.
    True, but doesn't it feel like it's more likely for Carolina to win a medal now than in 2006 or 2010. In 2010, she was coming off her worst Worlds ever and had a poor season where she had exactly one international medal (she had a bronze in 2005 Worlds, but again, the Olympic season she had one medal as well). Since Worlds 2010, she's earned medals at every single event she's competed in. Not too shabby for someone marked as a headcase.

vCash
    I'm not sure if Kostner or Asada are definite locks for the podium. Each have their own issues that can prevent them from getting a medal. I can see a surprise medalist like Denis Ten this year. A U.S. or Russian lady can skate lights out and knock one or both Asada and Kostner off the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Kostner only beat Mao by a point so by could totally switch in order.

Bronze and 4th were separated by 7 points.

Kim Yuna was perfect But that's actually pretty rare! She has been beaten by ando and Mao.
    She was perfect in her most important events (Worlds 2009 SP, Olympics SP+LP, and World 2013 SP+LP). The rest of her competitions she's won either the short or the long or both, and has never been off the podium. She's the safest bet for gold even if she's not perfect at Sochi. However, she's also the safest bet to go clean compared to Carolina or Mao. Clean performances may be rare for Yuna, but they're even rarer for her rivals, who have had numerous meltdowns in the past.

And Ando is no factor; she's not coming back and even if she did, she's not beating Yuna or Mao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    True, but doesn't it feel like it's more likely for Carolina to win a medal now than in 2006 or 2010. In 2010, she was coming off her worst Worlds ever and had a poor season where she had exactly one international medal (she had a bronze in 2005 Worlds, but again, the Olympic season she had one medal as well). Since Worlds 2010, she's earned medals at every single event she's competed in. Not too shabby for someone marked as a headcase.
    Well, she'll likely be on the podium. It's just not a total given.

vCash
    If all goes cleanly then yeah it should be the same podium. The 3 girls ( yuna,caro,mao ) are all clearly the better skaters

vCash
    Q: This was your first major competition in 20 months and yet won with a big lead. What do you think the gap will be in Sochi?

▶Kim: There are a lot of different sized events and the judges tend to be different each time so it’s hard to tell. I’m not going to be the only skater who will work hard for the Olympics. Everyone will be training hard so the results will depend on the physical and mental condition of the skaters on the actual day of the competition. So I cannot say for sure that I will be in first place. I may end up behind other skaters. I don’t think it’s possible to predict what the scores will be like in detail.

http://yunakimfan.com/2013/03/21/30431/#more-30431

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    it is hard to see Asada overtaking Kostner.
    Similar thought.

Mao with 1 pop & some URs (& harder jump layouts) lost to Caro with 1 pop & 2 falls.
    Maybe this could be a little shock to Mao.
    Last edited by t.mann; 03-31-2013 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    I hope it will be the exact same podium !
    Or Carolina in 1st and Yu Na Kim 2nd !

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I hope it will be the exact same podium !
    Or Carolina in 1st and Yu Na Kim 2nd !
    Or Mao in first!

vCash
    Olympics often bring in a surprise or two (except may be in ice dance), because of the incredible pressure, so I don't expect to see the same podium, or the same order in the ladies event, although I am 90% certain that Yu na will win the gold, and 99.999% certain that she will get one of the podium spots.

Looking back at some of the past Olympics, the surprises were:

2006- Arakawa winning OGM ahead of Sasha and Irina (the latter being a huge favorite)
    2002-Sarah winning OGM ahead of Michelle and Irina
    1998-Chen Lu winning a medal, and Michelle not winning the OGM
    1988- Liz Manley winning a silver, and Debbie winning only a bronze

The only question is- who will surprise us in 2014 and how?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast