View Poll Results: Which Of These Twelve TV Shows Do You Recommend Others See IMMEDIATELY?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll

13 14.44%
  • Battlestar Galactica

15 16.67%
  • Breaking Bad

17 18.89%
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer

23 25.56%
  • Deadwood

12 13.33%
  • Friday Night Lights

4 4.44%
  • Lost

25 27.78%
  • Mad Men

18 20.00%
  • Oz

11 12.22%
  • The Shield

5 5.56%
  • The Sopranos

10 11.11%
  • The Wire

10 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I watched 24 and the first season was great. It really as groundbreaking in their willingness to kill any character if it advanced the story and made sense in telling the story. It was supposed to be a 1 season show, I think. Then they brought it back. It didn't take long for it to become a parody of itself and I stopped watching it.

BSG was too much of a soap opera for me. But then I'm not really a fan of long running dramas. I do think after a while you run out of story. Caprica was a pale imitation of it.

Most of these shows, my husband watches so I only watched pits and pieces with him. Maybe I'd watch 5 episodes in a row as they'd feature a character I'd be captured by but eventually they'd stop featuring that character or they'd take it to extremes and I'd get exasperated with the story line.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    What is Oz about? I've never heard of that one. I take it that it is not a re-make of the Wizard of Oz?
    Hmmm...not really.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Peter, my dear - Breaking Bad has to be watched from the beginning. The episode you described was not even remotely boring...it was quiet but was very nerve wracking, if you knew the circumstances.
    I have a special "insider" as a friend and he said this last season is going to be really scary!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Peter, my dear - Breaking Bad has to be watched from the beginning. The episode you described was not even remotely boring...it was quiet but was very nerve wracking, if you knew the circumstances.
    I have a special "insider" as a friend and he said this last season is going to be really scary!!!
    I agree, although I have some friends who feel the same way Peter does and think Breaking Bad moves too slowly. I think both Breaking Bad and The Wire are definitely acquired tastes, but what I appreciate about them is their ability to create a slow burn throughout the entire season. I think that enables some viewers to really appreciate Bryan Cranston's performance and his transformation throughout the series. Cranston IMO is still giving one of the very best performances on TV right now, but part of it comes with how his character transforms with the span of the series. I do think both The Wire and Breaking Bad have to be watched from the beginning to be able to get them. The Wire had pretty complex plots and I really appreciated how the show really took the viewers into the world of the characters.
    Last edited by jenny12; 03-31-2013 at 06:20 AM.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    eta- adding this to the beginning of my post- Breaking Bad HAS to be watched from the beginning. There are almost no "episode" shows. It's like a 5 season long movie about one man's life. And some episodes that would be really boring to watch as stand alone shows, but are chilling and riveting as scenes in that movie.

This is the order I'd rank them in:

Breaking Bad
    The Sopranos
    Deadwood
    Battlestar Galactica
    Oz

Apparently I like shows with a lot of swearing in them. Lost and Mad Men I liked, but lost interest in, so I've only seen a few seasons of both. I'm going to watch The Wire and Buffy in a marathon, sometime when I can find a streaming service in Canada, or buy a box set. That is how I've watched all the shows on my list.

Once Upon a Time, and Homeland are probably going to go on this list ahead of Battlestar.
    And my favourite show EVER, is Misfits. And I'd put Dollhouse on the list too.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I loooooooooooved Friday Night Lights!! Shocked that it's at the bottom here. Lost was pretty good also.
    I've just started season 1 of Breaking Bad.

vCash
    None of the above because I don't watch any of the above.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    None of the above because I don't watch any of the above.
    You are excused.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    As a huge Adama/Roslin shipper and, as I said, a huge LR uber, one of my bigger frustrations as a member of groups devoted to them is the general inability of many of the members to understand Gaeta's actions in The Oath and Blood on the Scales. I didn't agree with him, and he was seriously naive, but I understood his reasoning. But yeah, I get your King&Queen argument. I agreed with nearly every decision she made (trying to view it in the context of who she was and not from the omniscient audience perspective), but Dirty Hands was one episode where I had to cringe at the juxtaposition of their lives against those of the people on the Daru Moza.
    I wished things turned out differently with Gaeta, but it was a bad decision to align himself with Zarek ( who sanctioned the whole thing with mass capital punishments for "traitors" in New Caprica that almost took Gaeta's life - talk about irony) Gaeta was a really bad judge of character

I was seriously conflicted about them wanting to wipe out all Cylons with the "bio weapon". I can see both side to this and while I'm glad things turned out the way they were, I think if I were in that ship, I would agree with Lee's plan, genocide or not.

Ps: Was Anders ever punished for doing what he did to Gaeta? I think I missed that part.

vCash
    I'm another who has never seen any of these shows & some I've never heard of! Glad they were such big successes.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Which Of These Television Series Should One NOT Miss Out On?

I'm surprised people think Breaking Bad moves slowly! I always felt like it was very well paced and new (and insane) things were constantly happening. Maybe it is because I discovered the show late and was able to watch almost all of them on Netflix. If things felt slow I was able to continue right on to the next episode whereas those watching it every week had a long wait.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I take it that it is not a re-make of the Wizard of Oz?
    LOL! Too funny. Lets just say Dorothy would be traumatized if she had landed in this Oz.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    I LOVE Breaking Bad. It's amazing!
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Yay for the Breaking Bad supporters.
    I know a few sekrets...not really spoilers, because the I have no idea what these things mean and in what context.
    I had the pleasure of watching them film one day, back in Feb. I also know of new filming locations and sets.
    Beware of Germans...that's all I know.

vCash
    I love Friday Night Lights! Unfortunately I didn't see the last season, plan to do it during summer

vCash
    Buffy. The Hush episode was the greatest 60 minutes of TV I've ever watched.

vCash
    I tried, but I just couldn't stick with Friday Night Lights. Too much teen angst. If it had been all about Coach and Tami, and kept the teens on the periphery, I'd have liked it so much better!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Blergh
    vCash
    Damages - especially the first three seasons. The first season was considered to be as high quality as Mad Men when both shows debuted. However, due to budget cuts and change of pacing caused by the low ratings and cancellation, the last two seasons (airing on DirectTV) didn't have the same feeling as the stellar first three seasons. If anything, you get to see Glenn Close give in tour-de-force performance for all five seasons and the evolution between her and her protege, Ellen Parsons played by Rose Byrne, made for some intriguing and stellar television.

I also like that this show only dealt with one case and its cast of characters in one season rather than the usual legal drama where cases get wrapped it in one episode. It makes it feel more like a novel.

This scene in the first season says it all, IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JPIluA-IM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Ps: Was Anders ever punished for doing what he did to Gaeta? I think I missed that part.
    Not that I can remember. I just started season 4 again but I really don't think anyone ever said anything to him about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Not that I can remember. I just started season 4 again but I really don't think anyone ever said anything to him about it.

Some characters can get away with anything

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast