View Poll Results: Which Of These Twelve TV Shows Do You Recommend Others See IMMEDIATELY?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll

13 14.44%
  • Battlestar Galactica

15 16.67%
  • Breaking Bad

17 18.89%
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer

23 25.56%
  • Deadwood

12 13.33%
  • Friday Night Lights

4 4.44%
  • Lost

25 27.78%
  • Mad Men

18 20.00%
  • Oz

11 12.22%
  • The Shield

5 5.56%
  • The Sopranos

10 11.11%
  • The Wire

10 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I'm not sure these are the 12 shows I'd pick as having revolutionized tv drama. But for "must see" tv, from this list I'd pick Buffy up until she came back from the dead or maybe when they introduced Dawn.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Buffy all the way!!!!!!! I agree about Dawn though...she didn't ruin the show for me, but I could do with out her.

vCash
    The only one of those shows I've watched is Buffy.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Yeah, except Dawn was introduced in the same season as Glory, and I flove Glory. And wasn't the musical in season 6?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Hated Glory. So stop with Dawn but do a special reunion show with the musical.

I think the whole show lost focus when they graduated from High School. It really wasn't Dawn, per se, though the character was particularly annoying to me.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Lost is easily #1 on my list, I had it in mind before seeing the poll options. I also chose Breaking Bad, that is a great show. Many of the others I never even tried to get into. I did try to watch Mad Men and thought it was dreadful and boring. Never made it past episode 3 or so.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Of the ones listed, my dorky side strongly recommends Battlestar Galactica It gets better and better each time I watch it.
    I'm going to check this show out. I thought I saw an episode or various scenes, but it didn't grab me. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance...it's coming in third in the poll behind my top two choices, so I'm taking that as a sign!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I do keep meaning to get around to Deadwood one of these days.
    Deadwood is VERY well written. And it has such a great cast! Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, John Hawkes, Keith Carradine, Titus Welliver (Lost, The Good Wife), Powers Boothe, Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Geri Jewell, Molly Parker and the fabulous Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Of the shows listed, I've only seen The Sopranos and Oz. I chose the one that had hot naked men and hot men kissing show after show after show.
    I think I'm going to check to see how much the box set for Oz is selling for these days.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I loved Lost. Yeah, it was a bit weak in the middle of the series, and by the end they just had so many loose ends to tie up that it almost was too much. But I thought it ended well, and I just love it. Unapologetic fan here

I also watched a few seasons of Buffy, really enjoyed it, but just never felt compelled to finish the series. Same with Mad Men. I've never seen Breaking Bad but it's certainly on my to-watch list!

Shows I highly recommend:
    -Homeland
    -Game of Thrones

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Hands down, Battlestar Galactica. I'm particularly snooty when it comes to television dramas and especially science fiction, and BSG absolutely blew my mind. I'm also not one to invest in buying television series on DVD, but I have every season of it and it never gets old.

The writing is excellent, the characters well-developed (and flawed), and the cast, particularly Mary McDonnell, Edward James Olmos, James Callis, Katee Sackhoff, and Jamie Bamber, are outstanding in their roles.

For those who are gun shy when it comes to Sci-Fi, it's not all about lasers, crazy aliens, photon torpedos, and dogfights in space (though the CGI are extremely good, especially considering the budget for the show); it's a drama that happens to take place in space. The overall theme and plot lines throughout the series parallel and challenge a lot of what was going on in our world post-9/11, and raises the question of what it means to be human.

Not many shows can boast a Peabody Award, and BSG is on that short list. It was definitely IMO the most wuzrobbed series when it came to the Emmy Awards, which was frustrating as hell to deal with year after year - Mary M., EJO, and James Callis in particular should have easily been nominated (if not win outright) for Best Actress, Actor, and Supporting Actor.

Lastly, Bear McCreary created one of the best musical scores/soundtracks in television history. I have several of the seasons on CD, and in fact have been salivating to have it used in figure skating as there are several pieces in particular that would work perfectly, particularly in the Pairs and Mens disciplines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Whole post
    So say we all!

Edward James Olmos actually wrote into his contract that if there was ever a four-eyed or green alien on BSG he was going to faint on camera and then walk off and quit the show. When Cyn said is exactly what I tell my friend: it's a serious drama that happens to take place in space.

And I agree with all the actors you mentioned, and in particular I cannot believe Mary was never even nominated (though she made the shortlist the last season). Ridiculous.

vCash
    Another vote for Battlestar Galactica

I just finished watching this series and I love it. I agree with Cyn that it is more of a human story with a sci-fi background. (How far would we, as a "society", go to survive? There's a lot of political intrigues with a big dose of love, fear and betrayal. The show also raise many ethical questions to ponder about). I'm usually not fond of that kind of sci-fi, but this one is very well done. I don't know if it's for everyone though... (The tone is very dark and sombre throughout the whole 4 seasons).

A shout out to the entire cast of BSG This is probably the only show where I don't have a clear favourite character (I have some characters that I consistently dislike, but I think I've hated each of the main characters for at least a couple episodes) James Callis especially is amazing! I hated Gaius Baltar for the first season and some parts of the second season, but by the end of the 4th season, I thought he was one of the most compelling character in the series and I really enjoyed seeing him on screen

I love the opening song, every time i hear the chant (taken from the Gayatri Mantra - Rigveda) and see the number of survivors on the screen, I get goosebumps.

vCash
    James Callis is one of the most naturally funny actors I've ever seen on a TV show. His facial expressions are just amazing. No one does crazy eyes like him. I'm a Laura Roslin uber though, so my feelings towards Baltar aren't as positive as yours

vCash
    Each of the character is so complex, I loved and hated Laura Roslin I love Adama and Roslin and I'm glad they found each other. I think I've liked this coupling since early in the beginning. However, at the same time, I hate them because it started to feel like Queen and King having the last say on everything How can there be check and balance in that government if the admiral of the army only supports one candidate (other than his son)

I feel so for Gaeta though... He tried so hard to do the right things, and yet he always get the short end of the stick I wanted him to have a happy ending and hated Starbuck's toy boy for what he did to Gaeta

vCash
    For you BG fans, did anyone see Caprica? Here is the one minute trailer. I really enjoyed it, even though it didn't get through a whole season. Still, my favourite show for years has been GCB and look how that went.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHORot0vNA
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    The only one on the list I've ever seen any of was '24'...
    Same here. Many of them I haven't even heard of...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    For you BG fans, did anyone see Caprica? Here is the one minute trailer. I really enjoyed it, even though it didn't get through a whole season. Still, my favourite show for years has been GCB and look how that went.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccHORot0vNA
    I was not aware of Caprica. I might watch that... It would be interesting to see Caprica before it was blown away by the Cylon

Are you talking about this GCB?

vCash
    As a huge Adama/Roslin shipper and, as I said, a huge LR uber, one of my bigger frustrations as a member of groups devoted to them is the general inability of many of the members to understand Gaeta's actions in The Oath and Blood on the Scales. I didn't agree with him, and he was seriously naive, but I understood his reasoning. But yeah, I get your King&Queen argument. I agreed with nearly every decision she made (trying to view it in the context of who she was and not from the omniscient audience perspective), but Dirty Hands was one episode where I had to cringe at the juxtaposition of their lives against those of the people on the Daru Moza.

I did see Caprica. It's beautiful. It got better as the season went on. Shame it only had 1. It didn't have time to be as great as BSG. I wish they'd come up with some of the concepts in it before BSG; I would have loved to have seen random Tauron cultural things from Bill (and Admiral Cain) in BSG.

//seriousgeek

vCash
    Speaking of BSG, they confirmed at Wondercon that head six and head baltar were the beings of light from the original series.

vCash
    Of the ones ive seen, almost all I watched because someone had a thread about it on FSU. For me, deadwood was the best television I've ever seen. Then Buffy and Walking dead further down the list. Lost and downton abbey and mad men were fun to watch but not as riveting as deadwood or walking dead IMO.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    What is Oz about? I've never heard of that one. I take it that it is not a re-make of the Wizard of Oz?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast