View Poll Results: Which Of These Twelve TV Shows Do You Recommend Others See IMMEDIATELY?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll

13 14.44%
  • Battlestar Galactica

15 16.67%
  • Breaking Bad

17 18.89%
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer

23 25.56%
  • Deadwood

12 13.33%
  • Friday Night Lights

4 4.44%
  • Lost

25 27.78%
  • Mad Men

18 20.00%
  • Oz

11 12.22%
  • The Shield

5 5.56%
  • The Sopranos

10 11.11%
  • The Wire

10 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Just like in real life.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I mean, Gaeta was trying to essentially commit mutiny against Adama's pseduo-daughter (whether or not he was in the right to, which I think he was), and her husband shot him. I'm not surprised Sam faced no consequences; it definitely fits in with Adama's many flaws to totally overlook it. And Gaeta should have been equally as pissed at Helo for not immediately jumping back to try to get medical help on Galactica.

One of my favorite things about BSG is that you can argue practically any side's view at any time pretty well from their viewpoint, even if you totally don't agree with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I mean, Gaeta was trying to essentially commit mutiny against Adama's pseduo-daughter (whether or not he was in the right to, which I think he was), and her husband shot him. I'm not surprised Sam faced no consequences; it definitely fits in with Adama's many flaws to totally overlook it. And Gaeta should have been equally as pissed at Helo for not immediately jumping back to try to get medical help on Galactica.
    Helo was the one trying to commit mutiny... Gaeta was just following the order of his superior officer. And then Starbuck's boy toy went berserk...

Adama was certainly selective with his application of the law. Actually, they all were. Just like Lee said in Baltar's trial, they were a gang pretending to be a civilization. (I was glad that Lee brought up the fact that Galactica and Pegasus left behind New Caprica when the Cylon attacked. I always saw that as an act of betrayal. I understand why they did it, but still... What was Baltar to do when their only defense ran away?

One of my favorite things about BSG is that you can argue practically any side's view at any time pretty well from their viewpoint, even if you totally don't agree with them.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Just like in real life.
    The BSG is, in many ways, just like in real life

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    The only on of those I really would follow was the Sopranos. I hated Lost

vCash
    My biggest issue with Baltar, which nobody ever brought up, was that he had all the information that settling on New Caprica would be a disaster, he was supposedly a genius, and he did it anyway because he was pissed at Laura. And then Romo at the trial said, "if she'd been President we would have all died!" and I wanted to scream at the TV, "if she'd been President they wouldn't have settled on New Caprica at all!"

vCash
    God, this list is a stark reminder of how many TV shows I want to watch. I think the only ones I've seen in their entirety are Buffy and 24. I've seen parts of Breaking Bad, Lost, Mad Men, and BSG, and quite liked all of them, but for one reason of another have never gotten around to finishing (or catching up with) them. I do hope to catch up on Breaking Bad before the final season airs this summer.

Also, after years of hearing nothing but raves for it, I recently discovered that I have all of The Wire available OnDemand on my TV and started watching. I'm not sure I'm at the Best. Show. Ever. point yet, but it is pretty fantastic from what I've seen (I'm about halfway through the third season). And since this thread was inspired by Alan Sepinwall's book, I'd just like to advise anyone who plans on starting the show to visit his former blog, where he has reviews for each episode written specifically for those who are new to the show (as well as some written for those who have seen the entire series, which I'd like to check out in the future). The show is incredibly dense, and has a ton of charactes to try to keep straight*, and I've been finding them to be a huge asset as I've been going through it.

*I now know how non-book readers must feel when starting Game of Thrones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I just looked it up. It sounds like an Australian soap from back in the day "Prisoner Cell Block H" it was about love and lust in a women's prison. I first saw it in Australia and then it actually made it back to my local U.S. channel in syndication.

vCash
    My biggest issue with Baltar, which nobody ever brought up, was that he had all the information that settling on New Caprica would be a disaster, he was supposedly a genius, and he did it anyway because he was pissed at Laura. And then Romo at the trial said, "if she'd been President we would have all died!" and I wanted to scream at the TV, "if she'd been President they wouldn't have settled on New Caprica at all!"
    I thought he was talking about what took place after the Cylons arrived.. Roslin would have wanted to fight and not surrender (or at least not co-operate as much?). So he was saying humanity survived because Baltar co-operated with the Cylons...

And, I don't know about not settling on New Caprica. I think that Roslin would have eventually buckled to the pressure from the people, because the majority did want to settle on New Caprica.

The reason the cylons were able to find New Caprica on the other hand.... That's totally Baltar's fault

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    I thought he was talking about what took place after the Cylons arrived.. Roslin would have wanted to fight and not surrender (or at least not co-operate as much?). So he was saying humanity survived because Baltar co-operated with the Cylons...
    Yes, but this is a moot point, IMO, because...

And, I don't know about not settling on New Caprica. I think that Roslin would have eventually buckled to the pressure from the people, because the majority did want to settle on New Caprica.
    ..I really don't think she would have. She was pretty vehement about this. If she really had even slightly considered buckling, don't you think she would have in time to win an election she was running away with beforehand?...

The reason the cylons were able to find New Caprica on the other hand.... That's totally Baltar's fault
    Well, so was the whole attack in the first place. So...

vCash
    ..I really don't think she would have. She was pretty vehement about this. If she really had even slightly considered buckling, don't you think she would have in time to win an election she was running away with beforehand?...
    Overtime, she might... I don't remember clearly, but I think Adama was not against the idea?

Well, so was the whole attack in the first place. So...
    Ah, that's a little different though... Baltar didn't know what he was doing. Plus if it wasn't him, the cylon would have just used/seduced another guy.

Giving a cylon a nuclear bomb on the other hand...

vCash
    Adama was against the idea, just not as overtly. And no, I really don't think that over time she would have. Earth was her baby. It was all she thought about from the Pythia prophecies to the end of the series. It's basically her one major defining characteristic - come hell or highwater I am getting as large a number of people as possible to Earth.

And the fact that Baltar didn't know who Caprica was doesn't change the fact that he completely flouted law and in doing so committed treason. There's a reason you don't just give access to the entire defense system for your planet to the woman you're sleeping with. He didn't know that Gina planned on igniting the bomb, either.

We should probably PM if we want to keep talking about this

vCash
    Yeah, we are totally spoiling the series here... I hope Peter skipped over our posts or something

I think I need to rewatch the series and maybe watch the webisodes too

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Or start a separate thread to talk about individual shows.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Yeah, we are totally spoiling the series here... I hope Peter skipped over our posts or something
    I have skipped over these posts because they just confuse me as I don't know the characters (yet). I skip the True Blood threads also (unfortunately) because I'm always a year or more behind everybody else. (I'm just finishing up season four of True Blood...)

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Or start a separate thread to talk about individual shows.
    I did a couple of searches to see if there were any Battlestar Galactica threads, but they were all in the archives, so they can't be bumped up. Then I checked on wikipedia and saw that BG ended in 2009. Oh...so that's why there's no new threads....
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Firefly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234