View Poll Results: What medal if any will Bobrova & Soloviev win at the 2014 Olympics

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gold

4 4.00%
  • Silver

1 1.00%
  • Bronze

67 67.00%
  • No medal

28 28.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Can Bobrova & Soloviev make the podium at the 2014 Olympics?

New article on Bobrova & Soloviev. Reads:-

Russian ice dancers Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev, who became the bronze medalists at the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships in Canada, [told] R-Sport that they want [to not only] progress, but [to progress] with a unique style.
    They won the Bronze at this years Worlds. Can they also make the podium at their home Olympics next season? What would they need to do to make up ground on V&M and D&W and challenge for the Gold?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-28-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    i wouldn't be surprised if they win the whole thing

vCash
    but isn't there a bronze curse ?

I voted for Stepanova/Bukin which was none

vCash
    No way they will get anything higher than bronze and the Canadians, French and Italians will be hell bent on getting there themselves.

vCash
    C/l beat them in the fd at worlds and are surely more likely to do well than b/s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    C/l beat them in the fd at worlds and are surely more likely to do well than b/s.
    If that were true they would have won the broze at worlds.

C/L beat B/S by less than a point in the fd, so the sd buffer was good enough for B/S to take the broze. If they beat them once at worlds they can for sure do it at the Olympics. A little over 5 points seperates 3rd thru 7th so anything can happen next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Just like how C&L and I&K beat B&S at worlds last year, which surely meant they would do better at worlds this year.

Oh right.

I would say it's 70/30 or so. They're progressing technically, they're more consistent, and they seem to be in good hands with Zhulin. Plus, the event will be in their country, which may not really help, but it won't hurt. They have a lot going in their favor.

Unless B&S come out really strong at the start of the next season and pull away from the pack on the PCS and inch closer to D&W and V&M, mostly it's going to come down to who gets the best combo of PCS and high levels between B&S,P&B,C&L, W&P, and I&K. Pretty much just like this year.

YEAH!
    vCash
    They can medal, but I'm not sure they will. I think they'll get the PCS now as Euro champions and world medalists (at the end of the day it's the medal that is remembered and I&K beating them in the FD at Euros and C&L doing so at Worlds will be forgotten). P&B seem to have been thoroughly dumped. Even if the judging at Worlds was legit, I think the establishment has been waiting for a reason to push them back down and it's going to be difficult to make up that ground. P&B aren't totally out of it, but I think they'll be one of those couples that are in the mix, but not considered the clear third as they were the last couple of years.

B&S are not consistent though, and I could imagine them struggling with levels or making unfortunate mistakes and missing out.

vCash
    The fact of b/s losing the fd to c/l and being 4th in the fd shows a fact about their skating which is that their pretty weak technically even now so you can't say they are in a good place when they virtually always lose the fd to another team even if they best them overall. That's a weakness that I don't think would lead to a medal at the Olympics. Their technical weaknesses persist and pcs can't always be used to bail them out. Their bronze would be stronger if they really won their way to it like being a strong third in the fd. The fact of the medal may help them in pcs and goe on elements they do do well sometimes but doesn't change the fundamental and persistent weaknesses of the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    P&B seem to have been thoroughly dumped.
    They made technical mistakes that hurt the TES. Considering that their programs were nothing special and weren't even skated that great, the fact that the PCS were almost the same as B&S doesn't say dumped to me.

This is just like B&S last year when they placed 7th and people were immediately placing them off the Russian National team for the following season because losing points on technical stuff by the tech panel equals "dumped" by the judges now for some people, even if the judges gave them PCS that indicate otherwise.

I think people are still in a 6.0 mindset, back when there was a huge deal to where you placed, even down to one spot. I don't think it's quite like that anymore.

If V&M or D&W made a bunch of errors and lost to B&S, no way would I consider B&S a favorite over either of those teams now.
    B&S are not consistent though, and I could imagine them struggling with levels or making unfortunate mistakes and missing out.
    As with pretty much everyone in the 3-7th area.

vCash
    Yes, they can make the podium at the Olympics. Will they? Tough to say - bronze is a catfight between four teams imo.

vCash
    I hope they do. But I worry that they will continue to struggle with levels. Nonetheless in super excited to see what Zhulin comes up with!

vCash
    It's definitely gonna be a battle for bronze and will depend what happens on the day. They are 1 of only 2 or 3 teams this year whose FD I really liked. They will have home ice advantage so it'll be interesting to see if that plays a part, but I feel like Russian would prefer it if it was I/K if they could ever get their act together. I'm actually really interested to see how next years Worlds (assuming D/W, V/M and P/B don't compete) pans out.

vCash
    No chance at gold or silver. They can win bronze but so can Capellini & Lanotte or Weaver & Poje (I cant see Pechalat & Bourzat getting it but I am sure some think they have a chance too). I have a feeling one of C&L or W&P will get the bronze instead TBH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    They made technical mistakes that hurt the TES. Considering that their programs were nothing special and weren't even skated that great, the fact that the PCS were almost the same as B&S doesn't say dumped to me.
    I agree they werent dumped at this years Worlds, they simply didnt skate well and were somewhat generously scored for how they skated. However I predict this coming season they will be dumped, and their low finish at Worlds gives the judges an easy opportunity to do so.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    They will win the bronze, but hopefully there won't be too many falls. But it doesn't really matter.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Their best chance is for a bronze, but I won't be surprised if they did not medal at all. They will have to wait until V&M and D&W retire, in order to win a medal at the Olympics. I was happy that they won he bronze at this year's worlds, but that does not make them favorites for a bronze next year.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Cherub721;3887983]P&B seem to have been thoroughly dumped. Even if the judging at Worlds was legit, I think the establishment has been waiting for a reason to push them back down and it's going to be difficult to make up that ground. P&B aren't totally out of it, but I think they'll be one of those couples that are in the mix, but not considered the clear third as they were the last couple of years.

I don't agree .I expect Nathalie/Fabian to come back fighting again in the new season like they did after losing to S/S.
    Their placement was due to the injury. They were having an exceptional season being the solid third couple up until then.I wouldn't say they are dumped at all but will be competing against B/S W/P .I can't see C/L moving up yet she still has not great edges and they still skate small.
    Where are all P/B fans ?
    B/S could have a good shot for bronze yes but I would say let's see how they all do in the GP and then we can get a better indication.

vCash
    I think the best B/S can hope for is bronze. They can't beat D/W and V/M. However, I voted no medal because I think P/B will likely take the bronze. They didn't skate like their usual selves at this past Worlds, for obvious reasons.

vCash
    I would give the bronze odds of the team for next year at this point:

Bobrova & Soloviev- 40%
    Weaver & Poje- 27%
    Capellini & Lanotte- 23%
    Pechalat & Bourzat- 8%
    Chock & Bates- 1.5%
    All others combined- 0.5%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast