Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loving on babies!
    vCash
    oops, wrong thread
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    A season can make a huge difference so I think we will have to wait til the end of Europeans and 4ccs to understand where each teams and athletes stand. This year D/R made a claim for the Bronze medal, B/S in dance. So the medals are still up in the air, it will difficulty to start challenging for gold in men's by a guy other than Plushy(even that is hard). Apart from that Ice dance is hard for them to win gold medal in, though stranger things have happen. Medal is definitely a possibility in ladies for russians

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Liza & Adelina didn't have a great competition at Worlds, but Adelina has the 4th highest score of the season & Liza's SB is still 4 points higher than Gracie's and 12 points higher that Kaetlyn's. A lot will come down to how well all of the younger girls can handle their nerves, but I think the Russian girls are the ones who have the best chance of sneaking onto the podium if one of Mao, Carolina or Yuna doesn't perform.
    Liza's and Adelina's SB scores are from Europeans where their only competition was Kostner, so the pressure was a lot less than it was at Worlds and would be at the Olympics. Euros and 4CC scores tend to be a bit inflated anyway. Even if one of Mao, Carolina or YuNa are subpar, there are Murakami, Wagner, Gold, Li and Osmond who finished above the Russian ladies at Worlds. All of those would have to skate poorly as well. That's a lot of IFs.

vCash
    I personally despise Tsar Vladimir Putin with the fire of a thousand suns. I hate it when human rights-bereft countries use the biggest sports/cultural events in the world to legitimize, indirectly or directly, their regimes (the Olympics, the World Cup, Eurovision, Miss Universe/World, etc.). Which is why I had reservations about Beijing 2008 and now have reservations about Sochi 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDSSF View Post
    I personally despise Tsar Vladimir Putin with the fire of a thousand suns. I hate it when human rights-bereft countries use the biggest sports/cultural events in the world to legitimize, indirectly or directly, their regimes (the Olympics, the World Cup, Eurovision, Miss Universe/World, etc.). Which is why I had reservations about Beijing 2008 and now have reservations about Sochi 2014.
    OH MY GOD!

vCash
    Can Russia's figure skaters fulfil Putin's hopes and expectations?

Yeah, maybe they can, IF they are left alone to do it rather than have constant politiking (such as sending your 5th place man to Worlds!) and threats of "being dumped" hanging over your head for one bad result. If you keep up a constant huge pressure, don't be surprised if your skaters don't do very well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    If Russia wins men's hockey, will anything else matter?
    Yes, I had the same thought. Men's hockey is the main event and they had the best team going into Vancouver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Liza's and Adelina's SB scores are from Europeans where their only competition was Kostner, so the pressure was a lot less than it was at Worlds and would be at the Olympics. Euros and 4CC scores tend to be a bit inflated anyway. Even if one of Mao, Carolina or YuNa are subpar, there are Murakami, Wagner, Gold, Li and Osmond who finished above the Russian ladies at Worlds. All of those would have to skate poorly as well. That's a lot of IFs.
    I would argue that if Sotnikova goes clean with everything in Sochi, She will beat all of those those with clean skates
    Not sure about Gold yet though, If she handles next season well she should get an inflation

I have reservations about Sochi as well, In regard to the Anti gay laws in major cities in Russia,
    I AM trying to be more critical about it though for now, As opposed to just hateful .

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    "Tense Moment Between Madame Olympe Maxime and Dobie During Planning for Upcoming Triwizard Tournament"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    TT: "Disgusting. Putin just farted."

Putin: "Doo doo doo...just pretend like nothing happened."

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    "President Tatiana Tarasova (L) attends a meeting with representatives of ice hockey and figure skating federations of Russia at the Bolshoy ice dome in Sochi."

vCash
    IMHO, the Olympic spirit stronger than any politics. Of course, the anti-gay laws are very obnoxious, but that's no reason to boycott any country that particular Olympia. It should not be! Remember to 1980, and 1984! it was the worst of those athletes who couldn't attend because of the boycott those Olympics! Have to fight against injustice other way.

Munich 1972, after the tragedy: Games must go on!

vCash
    Not to be surprised!! Almost every famous athlethes, coaches, actors, musicians support Putin.. They believe, Putin will bring back the greatness of Russia ..

vCash
    "Madame Tarasova (L) reacts to Mr. Putin's (R) directive that Menshov be designated #1 Russian man for Sochi."

vCash
    Tatiana Tarasova wonders how she drew the short straw and had to sit next to Putin.

vCash
    Pairs- Gold for sure. Maybe even a 2nd medal.
    Men- No medal.
    Dance- Good shot at a bronze.
    Ladies- No medal.
    Team- Good shot at medal, but Canada has the Team Gold in the bag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Team- Good shot at medal, but Canada has the Team Gold in the bag.
    I wouldn't

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12