Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Back in 94 did you expect Baiul would dominate the sport for years to come

I know looking back at Baiul now it seems most don't believe she was going to win anymore big titles. For lots of reasons. People saw what happened to her body, attitude, and her injuries and skating (even as a pro) years after. People like Kwan and Lipinski brought the technical requirements higher than what they were when Baiul was winning, and Baiul wasnt even doing as much technical content as her rivals then. Also some of the emperor new clothes theory was at play with her, and people realize she wasn't this amazing artist and skater she looked like she was somehow.

However what did you expect back in 94 when she had just won the Olympics, after winning worlds the year before. At the same time many were predicting her to dominate the next 10 years. It looked like she had her future all in front of her, and would only get better. While there were some up and comers like Szewcenko, 13 year old Kwan, and others, Baiul already had a big lead on them and it seemed she would be hard to be caught. What did you expect.

vCash
    I expected that she would turn pro immediately and cash in. Which she did, as the opportunities at that time were there in spades. What I didn't expect was that she would so quickly crash (literally) and burn.

vCash
    I expected at the exact moment of 94 she would remain a large contender for major titles for the next 4 to 8 years (depending if she decided to go for 1 more quad or 2) and win a lot more major titles, but I didn't expect her to totally dominate and figured she would be challenged after the next year or two (after 94) anyway.

I guess in hindsight one should expect anyone who achieved anything at all to turn pro then though, thanks to Tonya Harding.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Wasn't Oksana supposed to be the former Soviet orphan that rose from the ashes to be crowned queen of the Olympics then move on to success in the figure skating market of the capitalist world.

vCash
    Scott Hamilton sure did, implying she might win the next two Olympics.

vCash
    Nope.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    I expected that she would turn pro immediately and cash in. Which she did, as the opportunities at that time were there in spades. What I didn't expect was that she would so quickly crash (literally) and burn.
    ITA. There was too much money to be made by going pro, and with all the press about Oksana's childhood poverty, it would be surprising if she didn't go after the money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Scott Hamilton sure did, implying she might win the next two Olympics.
    Well we all know Hamilton's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time! Hard to believe Oksana would rule; esp. since Surya defeated her at Europeans! How good could she have been if the maligned Bonaly could beat her out with her so called inferior technique? The person that surprised me for jumping ship so soon was Tara! Even Sarah leaving wasn't a shock! Some skaters and handlers know when they're lucky to win that Olympic gold and won't even go to Worlds that season to validate and solidify their huge triumph! MK salvaged her Olympics by taking Worlds after losing in '02; same with Yagudin! He probably should have skipped it! Alexei was never the same and had to retire later that year!

vCash
    I am surprised she went pro only since she was so young. Also at the time there didn't seem to be any threats on the horizon. Chen was no threat to her ever, Bonaly wasn't much either, Kerrigan and Sato were retiring, and Szewcenko and Kwan looked along way from challenging her in 94.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestercat View Post
    I expected at the exact moment of 94 she would remain a large contender for major titles for the next 4 to 8 years ... I guess in hindsight one should expect anyone who achieved anything at all to turn pro then though, thanks to Tonya Harding.
    I don't think Tonya Harding really made any difference. From Sonja Henie's last win thru 1994, every ladies Olympic champion not controlled by a communist government turned pro after winning the OGM. I don't understand why anyone seriously expected any different from Baiul, with or without the pro skating boom.

IMO going pro was pretty much inevitable esp for her, as she had little to no money of her own. IIRC, Petrenko was covering some of her expenses and I think anyone with an opportunity to become financially self-supporting at that point would jump at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiero425 View Post
    Well we all know Hamilton's an idiot ...
    Idiot might be a bit unfair, but he does get overexcited on this particular point. He also thought Tara and Kulik would compete for another quad when calling the event in Nagano.

vCash
    Slute won 02 worlds not Kwan.
    This may bring out the Tara-haters, or ardent Kwan fans pretending they aren't biased, but it was such sexism that Tara got crapped on and called a blip on the radar (although I have a feeling Peggy's speech was heavily scripted and submitted to ABC) but Kulik gets off free despite having a short career himself that didn't even include a world title. But maybe people let him off easier because a great Russian rivalry like Yags and Plush was waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by fenway2; 07-29-2014 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    Yes! I thought she would dominate for years!

Also I was in fifth grade at the time and got a B on a creative writing assignment involving Harding breaking out with warts, so take my 20 year old opinion with a grain of salt...

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I thought she'd stay eligible and dominate for at least a couple of years.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I disagree she would have dominated...she probably could have competed for bronze at 95 Worlds. She never attempted difficult combinations and her post-puberty body would have made her jumps disappear by the 96 season for sure.

vCash
    I did not like her at the OLYS, and actually never appreciated her skating. Just never moved me. So, No, I didn't expect her to dominate anything.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the poster with a thousand pseudonyms View Post
    What did you expect.
    I expected her to go pro, cash in on her "It" appeal while it lasted, and fade into obscurity.

I also thought that that thirteen-year-old girl who finished second at that year's U.S. Nationals (What was her name again?) was an up-and-comer and would be dominating the sport ere long.

Off-the-wall perhaps, but true.

vCash
    I didn't expect her to dominate, but I expected her to continue due to her young age and emergence just one year earlier (1993)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I also thought that that thirteen-year-old girl who finished second at that year's U.S. Nationals (What was her name again?) was an up-and-comer and would be dominating the sport ere long.
    "Nancy Kwan" - says half of America. I refused to get my heart broken by Nancy Kwan after witnessing Michelle Cho fizzle out. Never have I been so happy to be wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    "Nancy Kwan"

Thanks. It's hard to keep all these flash-in-the-pan teeny boppers straight.

vCash
    Hey. We made this thread about MK.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast