Watch me move
    vCash

Professor Had Two Full-Time Jobs - in Canada and in England

Wow....

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...da-and-britain

I know of a similar case, but the jobs were within a few hours' travel of each other And the dual jobholder was busted within a couple of months. I'd love to know how this guy got away with it for more than a year.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I heard that one of my old professors did jail time for holding two separate professorships at the same time. Some sort of breach of contract thing.

vCash
    Not long ago, a husband and wife team tried to do the same thing at U. Minnesota and Georgia Tech. Both were "double dipping":

http://www.startribune.com/local/186113431.html?refer=y

I had a colleague once who, in addition to being a full time faculty member at my university in the US, was department head at a university in China. Somehow that was allowed.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    To me the question is, was he able to do what he was hired for at each of the institutions? IF they were each getting what they paid for, I don't see what the problem would be. Unless they were paying for the prestige of being the exclusive employer of a respected name in his field.

Watch me move
    vCash
    It would be possible to juggle the class schedules to handle a full-time teaching load at each place, but I can't see how someone would be able to do all the other expected on-campus work that goes with a full-time position, e.g. committee meetings, office hours.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Reminds me of this guy, who was making $250K a year but outsourcing his work to a guy in China for $50K. Dishonest, but part of me applauds his ingenuity

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Not long ago, a husband and wife team tried to do the same thing at U. Minnesota and Georgia Tech. Both were "double dipping":

http://www.startribune.com/local/186113431.html?refer=y
    I always read of professors not making enough money. These two were making about $300k a year each? Wow,.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Reminds me of this guy, who was making $250K a year but outsourcing his work to a guy in China for $50K. Dishonest, but part of me applauds his ingenuity
    I like how specific they were that he watched cat videos.

vCash
    I'd like to hear this guy's side of the story. Did he even teach classes...?
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    All of me wishes some of my colleagues would do this.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I was curious and did an online search to see if there had been any follow-up articles. I came across the following comment posted in reply to the original article: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...002820.article
    JESSICA FRIEDERICHSEN | 01 APR 2013 7:34PM
    I was one of Jonathan Hart's many graduate student at the U of A. I defended in Dec. 2011 and throughout my research and writing, he was a fabulous supervisor. He always provided quick and relevant answers to my questions or quick (within a day or two) feedback on my chapters. He has also been available for advice and check-ins after my defense and submission.

Compared to my experience, others in my department (and in other departments) did not get the same quality and promptness of help during their work. I am not arguing that a person should hold more than one full time job (it's not as if there are enough to go around, after all), but for my supervisor I would have preferred half of Jonathan Hart than all of many of my other options. Perhaps the problem here is how little other tenured professors can get away with doing.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    These days, with online classes, I can see how being a professor on two continents could actually work. I once took an online course as part of my master's program; the professor was local but the TA was in Liverpool.

Watch me move
    vCash
    But the article doesn't say anything about him teaching online classes.

vCash
    When I was in college I had several professors who lived a couple of hours away in adjacent states. They would come to campus to teach their classes and hold office hours, but otherwise they were only available by telephone, in an emergency. (This was in the dark ages before e-mail.) Occasionally they couldn't make it to campus when expected because of severe weather.

So it really wouldn't have made much difference if they had taken off for a different continent on the days they weren't around, except that travel delays would be more likely to prevent them from being where they were supposed to be. But online communication would mitigate that more now than 30+ years ago.

It certainly would be difficult to hold Monday-Wednesday-Friday classes on one continent and Tuesday-Thursday classes on another thousands of miles away.

vCash
    I have a couple of friends/acquaintances who teach at a university far from their home. Neither is driving distance, both have to commute by air. Both have kids and a husband with a good (but less flexible) job in another city. So they maintain a main residence in the other city and keep an apartment near the university. Semesters are generally 15-16 weeks long and many faculty can arrange to do all their teaching in one semester, which makes life easier. But, neither has tenure yet and both have mentioned that not being on-campus enough is an issue that senior faculty have raised. Once you get tenure, you are expected to do a lot more in terms of administrative duties, so not being around 3/4 of the year doesn't usually work. That said, if you are good enough and well-known enough, universities will make it work.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I have a couple of friends/acquaintances who teach at a university far from their home. Neither is driving distance, both have to commute by air. Both have kids and a husband with a good (but less flexible) job in another city. So they maintain a main residence in the other city and keep an apartment near the university. Semesters are generally 15-16 weeks long and many faculty can arrange to do all their teaching id won one semester, which makes life easier. But, neither has tenure yet and both have mentioned that not being on-campus enough is an issue that senior faculty have raised. Once you get tenure, you are expected to do a lot more in terms of administrative duties, so not being around 3/4 of the year doesn't usually work. That said, if you are good enough and well-known enough, universities will make it work.
    Or the spouse works for an airline and gets free passes. He could commute. As an airline person myself, I know a lot of people who live in one area and work out of another. We have American crew members who live in Europe but are based in the States. They often have spouses who have non-airline jobs but because of the travel benefits, commute to far corners of the earth for work. I could totally see this happening if this were hypothetically my husband.