Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

Johnny Esaw, Canadian figure skating broadcaster, dead at 87

A member of the Canadian Figure Skating Hall of Fame, for many years Johnny was known as the voice of figure skating in Canada.

Read more here: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canadian-s...e-87-1.1227852

May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by victorskid; 04-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It wasn't just skating either, Johnny covered just about everything there was to cover in Cdn Sports over the years. However, it was skating he truly loved, adored and would move heaven and earth for if he could do anything to help the Sport.

He will be very much missed. God speed Sir and thanks for all of the great calls over the years.

vCash
    What a sad day --- for sports, and skating fans everywhere.
    He was the producer of the special "Toller, Toller" (1975)

RIP; and thank you.

vCash
    Johnny Esaw was a great skating announcer, informed and enthusiastic. RIP.

vCash
    If Esaw were announcing today, everyone would hate him--and I would love him more for it. I loved that he predicted that Robin Cousins would get 6.0s 15 seconds into his LP at the 80 Worlds--and he was right. I loved when he would say things like "That is the best sit spin he/she ever did!" or "That is the best death spiral they have ever done!". His eagerness and enthusiasm made watching (more like rewatching) skating so fun.

I have to admit that I thought he had already left this world (too bad he could not have been part of the 2010 consortium). I hope his final years were more of comfort and tranquility. RIP.

vCash
    RIP Johnny Esaw. He loved figure skating.

vCash
    If it wasn't for him, figure skating never would have gotten the amount of TV coverage it did in Canada, and become as popular as it is. He was that influential. This is sad news.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Oh no - so sad! I associate his voice with so much happy figure skating watching in my childhood! I loved his enthusiasm so much and his grin from ear to ear. R.I.P.

vCash
    Very sad news. Johnny was so influential in Canadian sportscasting, skating in particular.

vCash
    Awww...that is so sad.

vCash
    Figure skating fans in the US owe him a great debt.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...ead_at_87.html

Much of his success resulted from a close friendship he had with the late ABC executive Roone Arledge, who was president of ABC News and Sports. In an interview I did with him last year, Esaw reminisced about those days.
    “I’d been hired to be sports director of CFTO, which was just going on the air (in 1960),” said Esaw.
    “Roone was just starting his career at ABC. He wanted to televise the world figure skating championships from Vancouver and wasn’t getting anywhere with the organizers. He asked if I’d help out.”
    Esaw, who was well known in western Canada for being the “voice” of both the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Saskatchewan Roughriders and who’d been lead announcer on several Grey Cup broadcasts by that time, managed to buy the figure skating North American rights for CFTO and the ABC network.

vCash
    Awwww man, what sad news. I'll never forget listening to him doing commentary for skating. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP, Johnny.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Aww. RIP. I loved him. I also grew up with him as my "voice of figure skating" and would say his name as Johnny Seesaw.

He was so influential in the sports world in Canada. AFAIK, he stayed behind the scenes in other sports broadcasting, but put skating on in prime time and chose to commentate on it as well. His comments were probably more in line with what people at home might be thinking, rather than politically correct. He was enthusiastic about the skaters and their performances and it was infectious. I remember him laughing during one part of Katarina Witt's program while referring to her " saucy smile, " describing Gordeeva as "beautiful, little, 16 year old, Ekaterina Gordeeva, " but nothing ever came across as inappropriate, just admiring. He really loved the whole deal.

vCash
    First skating broadcasts I ever watched, Johnny Esaw was one of the commentators.
    RIP

vCash
    I can still her his voice in my memories of so many skating broadcasts in my youth. RIP.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Sad sad news. He made some sports worth watching.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Toronto Sun ~ Steve Simmons ~ Legendary Canadian Broadcaster Johnny Esaw dead at 87

When Esaw officially retired from CTV in 1990, the front table guests at a dinner in his honour included childhood friend, Emile Francis, Eagleson, former CFL commissioner Jake Gaudaur, IOC member Dick Pound, former world champion Barbara Ann Scott and Olympic film maker Bud Greenspan, whose career as a renowned historian began with Esaw’s blessing and funding.

The tributes that night included a hand-written note from famed Russian goaltender, Vladislav Tretiak.

The reach of Johnny Esaw went that deep, that far, in almost all corners of the world.
    The word "Legend" gets tossed around an awful lot these days, but in Mr. Esaw's case, I don't think even it scratches the surface of just how far his reach and legacy reaches. We as Sports Fans owe him so very much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

The word "Legend" gets tossed around an awful lot these days, but in Mr. Esaw's case, I don't think even it scratches the surface of just how far his reach and legacy reaches. We as Sports Fans owe him so very much.
    Oh, yes. He was a sports broadcasting visionary, who saw opportunities and potential where others had not. He brought figure skating to the screen in Canada, and had such a personal interest and love for the sport that he continued to champion it for many years. RIP, Johnny, and thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Figure skating fans in the US owe him a great debt.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/0...ead_at_87.html
    Thanks for sharing this. May he rest in peace.

vCash
    Another article ...Figure Skating specific.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/OtherSport.../20719131.html

Does anyone know when Eurosport began to televise Figure Skating?
    It sounds as if North America start was the 1960 World Figure Skating Championship

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast