Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Adam's new program

Hey, heard Adam Rippon has a new program for Gardena. Anybody know what the music is?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Rippon revealed the choreographer but not the music (yet) in this reply to a fan on Twitter today: "I'm going to skate a new long program I had choreographed by Tom Dickson "
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oh hallelujah! Anything by Tom Dickson is bound to be wonderful, and with Adam skating to it ... sublime!

As per Tom's 2010 discussion with manleywoman, Tom will surely require Adam to be practicing figures that will help with the jumps and footwork. Tom Dickson is an unsung hero of this sport.

BTW, I recently saw this cute pic on Adam's Twitter of him with Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas. I wonder if it was taken at a skating and gymnastics event?

http://instagram.com/p/TYuWsuvYyc/

vCash
    I'm glad he is changing programs though, while I love his skating I really didn't understand the music for him. Go Adam!

vCash
    ^^ You mean last season's The Incredibles? It wasn't all that suited to Adam's style, yet he and his coach Rafael were able to tweak it and make it work better for him at U.S. Nationals. Most skaters get new programs for a new season, especially the Olympic season. I can't wait to hear what the new music will be.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Rippon just tweeted his FS music in reply to a fan's question:
    "It's Afternoon of a Faun. I'm going to write a blog before I leave and talk a little bit about it."

ETA link to an "Afternoon of a Faun" programs poll thread from within the past year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...noon-of-a-Faun
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-28-2013 at 02:41 AM.

vCash
    Wow, the new Adam was short-lived.

vCash
    Will there be a new blouse, too? Afternoon of the Faun absolutely BEGS for a blouse.

vCash
    ^^ Or, skin-tight bodysuit! Yum ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRbjgbske08

And look at John Curry version (of course a ballet on ice):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3wewU5xcXY

Adam's gotta bring back the curls for Faun ... even if modified.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-28-2013 at 04:06 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thrilled with the choice and the chroreographer. Now grow those curls back, Adam!

vCash
    Tom Dickson + Adam Rippon = LOVE!

vCash
    Should be very cool. Classic Adam (and everyone can criticize him for having no range ). Although I had thought that after he admitted to finally having FUN with his Incredibles program at nats, I figured he might give that LP one last shot.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I liked his Incredibles program, but Adam never seemed really comfortable with it. Tom Dickson does amazing choreography so I can't wait to see what he does for Adam. Looking forward to this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Should be very cool. Classic Adam (and everyone can criticize him for having no range ). Although I had thought that after he admitted to finally having FUN with his Incredibles program at nats, I figured he might give that LP one last shot.
    Hmmmm, interesting thought, but they'd be wrong, eh? Adam showed he could stretch himself but in the case of The Incredibles, it took time for him to work through an ill-conceived program that did not fit him like a glove. Keep in mind also that throughout the season Adam was adjusting to a new training environment and working on refining his jump technique. Clearly Adam and his coach, Rafael Aruytunyan, deserve kudos for putting life and pizzazz into a program that had none of those things initially.

Adam was probably not comfortable at the beginning of the season because in figure skating, who could be at ease with something that is not exactly suited to who you are and to your style of skating? (I mean look at Alena Leonova, for example,... great programs for her at 2011 Worlds and not so great since then). IMO, this season's fp was poorly conceived for Adam personally right down to the music, overall initial choreo layout, conceptual choice for Adam and original costume selection. At U.S. Nationals, Adam and Rafael made it work and Adam had fun to boot! I think that's victory enough re The Incredibles.

Similar to actors, skaters do need to be great performers, but it's not like skaters should seek to show range on the ice at the expense of employing music and choreo style that don't fully enhance their unique possibilities for growth and bravura realization of their potential. With the right combination of music, choreo and costume, as well as good conceptual approach and program layout, Adam can skate to anything. He's proven that, not just this past season, but throughout his career. The point is not proving you can skate to anything but steadily improving as a person and an athlete, and above all finding the right ingredients to create magic on the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Oh hallelujah! Anything by Tom Dickson is bound to be wonderful, and with Adam skating to it ... sublime!

As per Tom's 2010 discussion with manleywoman, Tom will surely require Adam to be practicing figures that will help with the jumps and footwork. Tom Dickson is an unsung hero of this sport.

BTW, I recently saw this cute pic on Adam's Twitter of him with Aly Raisman and Gabby Douglas. I wonder if it was taken at a skating and gymnastics event?

http://instagram.com/p/TYuWsuvYyc/
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Thrilled with the choice and the chroreographer. Now grow those curls back, Adam!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's the video of Rippon's 1st place FS from Gardena Spring Trophy yesterday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCTyBccNC1w

ETA:
    Rippon wrote a short blog for his site before he left for Italy and mentioned that he had started jumping again 2 weeks ago after recovering from the ankle injury that forced his WD from Four Continents. He debuted a new long program today [Tuesday, April 3] to Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, choreographed by Tom Dickson. 2 photos from today's FS:
    Beginning pose: http://imgur.com/fY0OIip
    End pose: http://imgur.com/yYx85PP
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-05-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Hooray!

vCash
    Beautifully done. I think Tom Dickson's choreography is perfect for Adam's skating.

vCash
    Adam is back!

vCash
    On first impression, I have mixed feelings about this program. On the one hand, I like it for introducing angular shapes and sharp gestures into Adam's arms and hands, which have always been soft and flowy and curvy. He's able to sustain these shapes most of the time. On the other hand, I still prefer Ilia Klimkin's Afternoon of a Faun program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T746wFOKplA) to this and most other versions, just for its abundant weirdness and audacity (e.g., putting the only triple Axel smack in the middle of the program, a triple Lutz at the end of the sort-of straight line steps, a triple Salchow at the end of a camel spin, etc.). Perhaps only Klimkin can pull it off. In comparison Adam's Faun is prettier and easier to digest and slightly less interesting.

It's great to see the quantity and variety of connecting steps going into most of the jumps, like spread eagle into the triple loop and bracket before the second double Axel. The amount of transitions is a welcomed change after seeing a relatively bare free skate at Nationals. My favorite part is the backward glide with his upper body leaning back right before the 2nd Rippon Lutz with no change of edge. That's awesome.

It's also a program heavy with edges, which, if done well, suits the music. But it will be hard to do well once the triple Axels (and a quad?) are put back in and require no loss of speed. I see some little troubles he had here and there, which is understandable given how new the program is. Nevertheless I hope Adam will work very hard in the off-season to improve his edges and keep up with the demand of all the transitions. Also the spread eagles need some work.

The circular (or zig-zag) step sequence is lovely and unlike most other step sequences we've seen. I do think the choreo step sequence needs some revision. It seems small (a clockwise circle taking up half a rink) and relatively simple. I'd like to see a couple more moves in the field added to the sequence. However, given the vague way choreo sequences are judged, perhaps it's pointless to make it too hard or too complex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast