Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Denis Ten will be a 'hooligan' - interview about his Olympic season programs & more

I haven't seen this interview link posted anywhere (published August 28): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...-be-a-hooligan
    Excerpt:
    My short program is "Danse Macabre" by Camille Saint-SaŽns, and for the free skate, we chose the music from Dmitri Shostakovich's ballet "The Lady and the Hooligan." The programs are quite unlike in comparison with last year's ones, and, as I mentioned before, they require a lot of emotional impact.

We consciously chose to do the program with an image that is completely different from the one that everyone saw last year. The music for the short program was suggested by me. There were a lot of options, but I've always liked the works of Camille Saint-SaŽns, and the theme of "Danse Macabre" is very close to my temperament. The program requires a very high pace. It's incredibly complex, but this dynamic helps me to convey to the judges and the audience all the energy that lies within me.

The short program has a contemporary choreography, but my free skate program is made in a classic Russian style. As the basis of the program, we have taken the original fragments from the ballet "Lady and the Hooligan." As you see, my character there is a hooligan .

This is the story of a guy who falls in love with a girl from high society, a story of love that changes people for the better. I lived in Russia seven years, so I understand this style very well, but nevertheless, the images are very complex and require "strong" plastics. In order to meet the level of this performance, I even started taking dance classes in Hollywood.
    ETA link to Ten's KAZ ice shows thread in late May: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...lutskaya-etc-)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Denis is one classy cat.

vCash
    Looking forward to seeing his new programs and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him this season!

vCash
    Make mischief, make magic and steal our hearts all over again, Denis!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Make mischief, make magic and steal our hearts all over again, Denis!
    Wonderfully put!

vCash
    the images are very complex and require "strong" plastics.
    I don't know what strong plastics are but GO DENIS!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I don't know what strong plastics are but GO DENIS!!
    That's a too literal translation from Russian. ;-) It means movement, body mobility, expression through movement in the sense of acting skills.

And yes, Denis' programs sound wonderful and I can't wait to see him as the hooligan.

having a nice day
    vCash
    No Denis no. As I best remember, the last men who used these tunes didn't do so well. And personally speaking neither of these tunes is Olympic material. But I wish you best of luck anyways cause I likes ya so much!!!
    Have a nice day!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    That's a too literal translation from Russian. ;-) It means movement, body mobility, expression through movement in the sense of acting skills.
    Is it like the term "plastique" in ballet?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Denis Ten ( @Tenis_Den ) tweeted today:
    Thank you for supportive messages! I am extremely disappointed that I couldn't be at Skate America.. Missing my GP for the 1st time ever.

Answering your concerns, I've got 3 injuries at once. 2 swollen ankles and upper-back.

So used to skate in pain but we decided it wouldn't be smart this season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Ouch. Wishing Denis a speedy recovery.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Couldn't resist replying this thread. If Denis is a hooligan, he'd be the nicest hooligan that I'd welcome to my home with open arms for some nice afternoon tea, with hot scones, jam and clotted cream (lite). We can listen to the classics like the Danse Macbre and contemplate some Kazastan danse moves

I met this lovely young man a few years ago in LA who's just friendly and open to chat to random strangers despite his boy band entourage at the time. Wish nothing but the best for him at the Olympics, hope he will be the dark horse that surprises everybody. Such a pity with Skate America, he'd easily be the media darling there having been the 'almost' world champion from last season, and Caroll's proud student of course!

vCash
    I really dislike the hooligan music, at least in the programs I've seen skated thus far, but hopefully he will make me change my mind. He thoroughly charmed and surprised us last year, so I hope this year is more of the same. Go Denis, get better!!

vCash
    This sounds awful!

Frank Carroll's comments in the Ice Network Skate Canada story. http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/25/63359426

World silver medalist Denis Ten has been home in Kazakhstan since last week while battling an infection, his coach, Frank Carroll, said. According to Carroll, Ten has had an infection that has resulted in black spots on both of his ankles and an infection in his jaw. Ten even had to have a tooth removed. Carroll also said a junior-level skater from Italy who trains at their rink in Los Angeles has suffered from a similar ailment. "He has these spots on his ankles, and they are ugly," Carroll said. "And it aggravates things when he puts on his skates. He left to go home before Skate America and will meet with doctors, and I hope to God that they help him." Ten withdrew from Skate America, held last weekend in Detroit. He is scheduled to compete at Cup of China, Nov. 1-3, but Carroll is not sure whether he will be able to skate.
    I hope he gets better soon and can resume training.

vCash
    "Denis Ten to perform at Grand-Prix in China regardless of backache": http://en.tengrinews.kz/sport/Figure...less-of-23643/
    "Denis still experiences pain in his back, but despite this he decided to perform in Beijing," the State Figure Skating Coach of Kazakhstan Yury Guskov said.

Denis was supposed to take part in the first Grand-Prix of the season - Skate of America - that was held in Detroit, but had to withdraw because he had injured his back and both of his ankles.

vCash
    Yikes, that sounds like a creepy infection. CoC will be greatly diminished if he withdraws
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Yikes, that sounds like a creepy infection. CoC will be greatly diminished if he withdraws
    I don't think he'll withdraw. He wanted to come to Cup of China so badly and today in practice he looked better than I expected after what he's been through. He landed a nice 4T and also 3A. I love his "Hooligan" (although Denis' personality is far from being a hooligan, he is such an intellegent, well-educated young man). :-)

vCash
    Holy cow, that infection sounds awful. Poor kid.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I don't think he'll withdraw. He wanted to come to Cup of China so badly and today in practice he looked better than I expected after what he's been through. He landed a nice 4T and also 3A. I love his "Hooligan" (although Denis' personality is far from being a hooligan, he is such an intellegent, well-educated young man). :-)
    Thanks for posting this. I am continuously amazed at skaters mental and physical fortitude to perform when ill/injured.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Do they have some odd bacteria or virus at their rink----considering two guys have come down with this strange malady. Was the tooth just coincidental or a part of the infection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast