Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 258
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fairfield, CA, USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    110
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Inappropriate music/choreography in competitive programs

    Obviously figure skating has its standards when it comes to music choices and choreography. I remember reading an article in the San Francisco Chronicle around the time of the 2002 Winter Olympics which discussed what the judges deemed inappropriate. It was accompanied by a picture of Sophie Moniotte and Pascal Lavanchy in a relatively provocative pose. I think the article said that moves that could be seen in a strip club were verboten.

    Which brings me to this question: What competitive (Olympic-level as opposed to professional/exhibition) performances did any of you find to be musically and/or choreographically inappropriate for international competition? Can a person be penalized for crotch grabs and the like? Has a skater ever lost an Olympic or World medal because his/her/their performance, while well-executed, contained questionable material?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,142
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3151
    I think that ice dancing aboriginal program was rather inappropriate.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    42
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, I am pretty sure someone will mention both V/M free dance and V/T free program from this year. Lots of, ahem, sensual stuff...giggle, snort, blush.....although I didn't find them offensive at all. It obviously didn't hurt V/T but some think it may have hurt V/M.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1618
    F-L-O-R-E-N-T- -A-M-O-D-I-O

  5. #5
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kittysk8ts View Post
    Well, I am pretty sure someone will mention both V/M free dance and V/T free program from this year. Lots of, ahem, sensual stuff...giggle, snort, blush.....although I didn't find them offensive at all. It obviously didn't hurt V/T but some think it may have hurt V/M.
    I know I posted this in the other thread but i feel like this needs to be posted here too.
    people only call v/m's carmen lewd and inappropriate to dismiss the difficulty of the dance

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I know I posted this in the other thread but i feel like this needs to be posted here too.
    people only call v/m's carmen lewd and inappropriate to dismiss the difficulty of the dance
    I think a dance can be difficult (even the most difficult dance in a particular event) AND lewd and inappropriate. Note: I am not making a statement about either the difficulty or the appropriateness/lewdness of Virtue & Moir's performance.

  7. #7
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lao1234 View Post
    I think a dance can be difficult (even the most difficult dance in a particular event) AND lewd and inappropriate. Note: I am not making a statement about either the difficulty or the appropriateness/lewdness of Virtue & Moir's performance.
    i think you misunderstood what i said.
    people focus so much on what they perceive as lewd that they cannot appreciate the difficulty and artistry of the dance.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1521
    Maxim Trankov's resemblance to Hitler (with that absurd moustache) was startling.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    i think you misunderstood what i said.
    people focus so much on what they perceive as lewd that they cannot appreciate the difficulty and artistry of the dance.
    You don't think someone could say, "Wow - that was really difficult, good for them - too bad I didn't enjoy it because a couple/alot of those positions were distracting?"

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by lao1234 View Post
    You don't think someone could say, "Wow - that was really difficult, good for them - too bad I didn't enjoy it because a couple/alot of those positions were distracting?"
    Yes, they can!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Yes, they can!
    Yeah...that didn't bother me - the hands everywhere around the "hip-region" is pretty commonplace in skating and other partner lifting situations (thinking college co-ed cheerleaders) - but, of course, respect your opinion. And who's to say his hand didn't slip?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by lao1234 View Post
    Yeah...that didn't bother me - the hands everywhere around the "hip-region" is pretty commonplace in skating and other partner lifting situations (thinking college co-ed cheerleaders) - but, of course, respect your opinion. And who's to say his hand didn't slip?


    A male pairs skater putting his hands on her hips if is not the same as a skater looking as if he's wiping her ass with her skirt. Most of the program was OOT and I'm not just talking about the Hitler mustache.

    That choreography was ridiculous even if it were well done. Pretty dress though.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    95
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post


    A male pairs skater putting his hands on her hips if is not the same as a skater looking as if he's wiping her ass with her skirt. Most of the program was OOT and I'm not just talking about the Hitler mustache.

    That choreography was ridiculous even if it were well done. Pretty dress though.
    Yes, but I said everywhere around the hip region not just on the hip. Remember the disappearing-hand-under-the-skirt phase of Ice Dance? Even Gordeeva/Grinkov had a carry lift with that exact hand position.

    It's so funny how people see things differently - to me, their choreography is no more or less OOT than the majority of the other pairs. Off topic, I sort of feel that some people are "mad" that V/T are doing programs that MAY be less than what they are capable of and use a sliding scale to judge them - like, "I KNOW they could do a program jam-packed with transitions - why must they insist on doing fairly standard pairs programs?" It's not like either of them successfully completed extremely difficult choreography with previous partners.
    Last edited by lao1234; 03-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.

  14. #14
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lao1234 View Post
    You don't think someone could say, "Wow - that was really difficult, good for them - too bad I didn't enjoy it because a couple/alot of those positions were distracting?"
    most don't

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1994
    There's a difference between "sensual" and "trashy." Maybe it's different for each person, but I know I can tell the difference. Because I watch so much dance, I'm pretty immune to sexy stuff, or should I say, it doesn't bother me and some times I LIKE it.... It seems to be the quality of movement and skill and emotional content that keeps some of this from being objectionable. I can't say I've ever seen a skate that truly offended me except in terms of sheer bad skating or a really abominable costume. THAT offends me more! Now crotch grabbing whether in hip hop dance or anywhere else just seems unnecessary and childish. Only Michael Jackson can get away with that one in my book. ICK. I will say that sometimes TRYING to be sexy and not quite succeeding whether from technical skill or chemistry really falls flat, but I wouldn't call it offensive.

  16. #16
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,344
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think that ice dancing aboriginal program was rather inappropriate.
    Yep, that pretty much broke my meter on the 'being-offended' thing....

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,795
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1994
    And there was a Russian couple who did an atrocious skate to "Last of the Mohicans" where the lady was wearing this enormous ridiculous pseudo Native American headdress. Looked like a Vegas show. I'm sure someone will tell me who that was. If I was Native American I would probably have been laughing to hard to offended, but perhaps offended too. That was BAD.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I know some people who thought it inappropriate for A & P to use Martin Luther King's speech as part of their Oly FS.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,762
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Yes, they can!
    Was he trying to find out if she had a prostate ?

  20. #20
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    And there was a Russian couple who did an atrocious skate to "Last of the Mohicans" where the lady was wearing this enormous ridiculous pseudo Native American headdress. Looked like a Vegas show. I'm sure someone will tell me who that was. If I was Native American I would probably have been laughing to hard to offended, but perhaps offended too. That was BAD.
    the most inappropriate thing a skater can do is appropriate a culture by using/wearing something that is important to a certain culture as a prop/accessory like the bindi (im looking at you meryl and alena) or the native american headdress or as in oksana baiul's case the turban

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •