Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Inappropriate music/choreography in competitive programs

Obviously figure skating has its standards when it comes to music choices and choreography. I remember reading an article in the San Francisco Chronicle around the time of the 2002 Winter Olympics which discussed what the judges deemed inappropriate. It was accompanied by a picture of Sophie Moniotte and Pascal Lavanchy in a relatively provocative pose. I think the article said that moves that could be seen in a strip club were verboten.

Which brings me to this question: What competitive (Olympic-level as opposed to professional/exhibition) performances did any of you find to be musically and/or choreographically inappropriate for international competition? Can a person be penalized for crotch grabs and the like? Has a skater ever lost an Olympic or World medal because his/her/their performance, while well-executed, contained questionable material?

vCash
    I think that ice dancing aboriginal program was rather inappropriate.

vCash
    Well, I am pretty sure someone will mention both V/M free dance and V/T free program from this year. Lots of, ahem, sensual stuff...giggle, snort, blush.....although I didn't find them offensive at all. It obviously didn't hurt V/T but some think it may have hurt V/M.

vCash
    F-L-O-R-E-N-T- -A-M-O-D-I-O

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittysk8ts View Post
    Well, I am pretty sure someone will mention both V/M free dance and V/T free program from this year. Lots of, ahem, sensual stuff...giggle, snort, blush.....although I didn't find them offensive at all. It obviously didn't hurt V/T but some think it may have hurt V/M.
    I know I posted this in the other thread but i feel like this needs to be posted here too.
    people only call v/m's carmen lewd and inappropriate to dismiss the difficulty of the dance

vCash
    I know I posted this in the other thread but i feel like this needs to be posted here too.
    people only call v/m's carmen lewd and inappropriate to dismiss the difficulty of the dance
    I think a dance can be difficult (even the most difficult dance in a particular event) AND lewd and inappropriate. Note: I am not making a statement about either the difficulty or the appropriateness/lewdness of Virtue & Moir's performance.

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lao1234 View Post
    I think a dance can be difficult (even the most difficult dance in a particular event) AND lewd and inappropriate. Note: I am not making a statement about either the difficulty or the appropriateness/lewdness of Virtue & Moir's performance.
    i think you misunderstood what i said.
    people focus so much on what they perceive as lewd that they cannot appreciate the difficulty and artistry of the dance.

vCash
    Maxim Trankov's resemblance to Hitler (with that absurd moustache) was startling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    i think you misunderstood what i said.
    people focus so much on what they perceive as lewd that they cannot appreciate the difficulty and artistry of the dance.
    You don't think someone could say, "Wow - that was really difficult, good for them - too bad I didn't enjoy it because a couple/alot of those positions were distracting?"

vCash
    You don't think someone could say, "Wow - that was really difficult, good for them - too bad I didn't enjoy it because a couple/alot of those positions were distracting?"
    Yes, they can!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Yes, they can!
    Yeah...that didn't bother me - the hands everywhere around the "hip-region" is pretty commonplace in skating and other partner lifting situations (thinking college co-ed cheerleaders) - but, of course, respect your opinion. And who's to say his hand didn't slip?

vCash
    Yeah...that didn't bother me - the hands everywhere around the "hip-region" is pretty commonplace in skating and other partner lifting situations (thinking college co-ed cheerleaders) - but, of course, respect your opinion. And who's to say his hand didn't slip?

A male pairs skater putting his hands on her hips if is not the same as a skater looking as if he's wiping her ass with her skirt. Most of the program was OOT and I'm not just talking about the Hitler mustache.

That choreography was ridiculous even if it were well done. Pretty dress though.

vCash

A male pairs skater putting his hands on her hips if is not the same as a skater looking as if he's wiping her ass with her skirt. Most of the program was OOT and I'm not just talking about the Hitler mustache.

That choreography was ridiculous even if it were well done. Pretty dress though.
    Yes, but I said everywhere around the hip region not just on the hip. Remember the disappearing-hand-under-the-skirt phase of Ice Dance? Even Gordeeva/Grinkov had a carry lift with that exact hand position.

It's so funny how people see things differently - to me, their choreography is no more or less OOT than the majority of the other pairs. Off topic, I sort of feel that some people are "mad" that V/T are doing programs that MAY be less than what they are capable of and use a sliding scale to judge them - like, "I KNOW they could do a program jam-packed with transitions - why must they insist on doing fairly standard pairs programs?" It's not like either of them successfully completed extremely difficult choreography with previous partners.
    Last edited by lao1234; 03-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    most don't

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    There's a difference between "sensual" and "trashy." Maybe it's different for each person, but I know I can tell the difference. Because I watch so much dance, I'm pretty immune to sexy stuff, or should I say, it doesn't bother me and some times I LIKE it.... It seems to be the quality of movement and skill and emotional content that keeps some of this from being objectionable. I can't say I've ever seen a skate that truly offended me except in terms of sheer bad skating or a really abominable costume. THAT offends me more! Now crotch grabbing whether in hip hop dance or anywhere else just seems unnecessary and childish. Only Michael Jackson can get away with that one in my book. ICK. I will say that sometimes TRYING to be sexy and not quite succeeding whether from technical skill or chemistry really falls flat, but I wouldn't call it offensive.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    I think that ice dancing aboriginal program was rather inappropriate.
    Yep, that pretty much broke my meter on the 'being-offended' thing....

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    And there was a Russian couple who did an atrocious skate to "Last of the Mohicans" where the lady was wearing this enormous ridiculous pseudo Native American headdress. Looked like a Vegas show. I'm sure someone will tell me who that was. If I was Native American I would probably have been laughing to hard to offended, but perhaps offended too. That was BAD.

vCash
    I know some people who thought it inappropriate for A & P to use Martin Luther King's speech as part of their Oly FS.

vCash
    Yes, they can!
    Was he trying to find out if she had a prostate ?

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    And there was a Russian couple who did an atrocious skate to "Last of the Mohicans" where the lady was wearing this enormous ridiculous pseudo Native American headdress. Looked like a Vegas show. I'm sure someone will tell me who that was. If I was Native American I would probably have been laughing to hard to offended, but perhaps offended too. That was BAD.
    the most inappropriate thing a skater can do is appropriate a culture by using/wearing something that is important to a certain culture as a prop/accessory like the bindi (im looking at you meryl and alena) or the native american headdress or as in oksana baiul's case the turban

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast