Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    142
    Typical entertaining Russian Interview, very blunt but pretty accurate.

    It is nice to read someone being very true in their opinions...I would however love to see an American/Canadian coach get away with these type of comments...they would be strung up on the stake by their federations!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    I think the issue Meagan has on the jumps (and it is particularly with the Lutz, both solo and thrown), is that she tips her head forward and slightly up when she jumps, and has a tendancy to wrap the free leg too which, when she rotates, gives a funny impression of her head flapping around (as it is slightly forward), plus her free leg flapping around (due to the wrap).
    Last edited by antmanb; 03-27-2013 at 12:59 PM.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Off course, you would not see a witty reply from a Canadian coach talking about Vera Bazarova's body and jumping technique.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Off course, you would not see a witty reply from a Canadian coach talking about Vera Bazarova's body and jumping technique.
    Well, we did see US coach (Frank Carroll) talking about Liza Tuktamysheva a year or two ago, so what's the difference?

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, we did see US coach (Frank Carroll) talking about Liza Tuktamysheva a year or two ago, so what's the difference?
    The Canadian coach would have said it in a polite and PC way. I loved the bat comment from Carroll though. He let the claws out for once. As the Olympics arrive, we'll see more catty comments like that from all over the place.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    631
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    The Canadian coach would have said it in a polite and PC way. I loved the bat comment from Carroll though. He let the claws out for once. As the Olympics arrive, we'll see more catty comments like that from all over the place.
    Exactly.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I don't think she was bashing D/R at all nor was she intending an insult by the male body type comment. Males typically are more muscular, especially, in pairs. I think it's just a difference in expression. Some people are quick to find "bashing" when none was intended and are quick to fail to realize there are cultural differences in language and expression.
    Would "criticism" have been a better word? It's not that I thought she was inaccurate, it just wasn't a very kind way to say things. I realize their are cultural differences and so many of the Russian interviews are blunt like this. I appreciate the honesty. But why throw stones when you live in a glass house? We all could go on and on about Bazarova's jumping technique for sure. Still a nice interview to read though. I guess in a way it's a compliment to D/R that she has observed them so carefully.

  8. #28
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,207
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    Mozer was asked specifically about the Canadian teams in the context of 2001-2 with S/P and then a follow-up question about D/R. She gave a complete answer, and it was pretty amazing that she said there were some things she preferred about S/P. While we're all about B/L moving to her, she's much more cautious, and her concerns are more about getting Bazarova up to the physical level where she'll be competitive.

    From the dates, it seems like she's been keeping her eyes open. D/R aren't in the same position as S/P coming into Sochi as the reigning World Champions, and D/R didn't beat a relatively weak (for them) S/S, but I don't see them retiring before they have a shot at a world title, i.e S/S and V/T leave the field, and Mozer likely is looking at them in terms of how they will compete against B/L and her future teams.

    Russian coaches in general have the same physical aesthetic that the Russian ballet companies have: a world in which Bazarova is the physical ideal, Duhamel is built like a man, and Virtue is a heifer.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Russian coaches in general have the same physical aesthetic that the Russian ballet companies have: a world in which Bazarova is the physical ideal, Duhamel is built like a man, and Virtue is a heifer.
    What was Slutskaya, in terms of this physical aesthetic?

  10. #30
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,207
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43906
    I don't remember any of the Russian coaches talking about her, but that could be my memory.

    On the other hand, Russian singles skaters are not held to the same exacting standards as Pairs and Dance women. Think of what Mozer said about Duhamel's physique: "It is good for skating, makes easier exiting jumps."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Duhamel has a great body, I just think her and Radford are mis-matched height wise and style wise. But they make the best with what they have.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, we did see US coach (Frank Carroll) talking about Liza Tuktamysheva a year or two ago, so what's the difference?
    Not much...but with all due respect to Mozer, she has awhile to go before she is at Carroll's status as a coach.

    He, like his counterparts Mishin and Nicks have earned the right to say it as they see it... IMO.
    Last edited by jdonavan; 03-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11600
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    What was Slutskaya, in terms of this physical aesthetic?
    According to many on FSU (not including myself, who strongly disagrees with the description), it would be truck-driver.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Not much...but with all due respect to Mozer, she has awhile to go before she is at Carroll's status as a coach.

    He, like his counterparts Mishin and Nicks have earned the right to say it as they see it... IMO.
    Hung on! Either everyone has the right to express their opinion (under freedom of speech etc), or you can play the political correctness card and none should by so open about competitors weaknesses. But you can't have it both ways! To say that one person earned the right to criticise competitor, (who was at the time 14!), whereas someone else doesn't have a right because Mozer didn't earn the right...what a bull***t!

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carroll made comments about Tuk's skating skills, jumping technique, speed and mostly technical points. He had some snarky comments, because people were already seeing Lisa as the next OGM.
    I don't think he commented on Tuk's body. That is a totally different level of criticism. Duhamel has a muscular upper body with a low body fat %. She looks like an athlete in top shape with muscular shoulders and arms. For some people, it is distracting. My guess is that she will be covering her arms/shoulders next season because of those nasty comments.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,681
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Carroll made comments about Tuk's skating skills, jumping technique, speed and mostly technical points. He had some snarky comments, because people were already seeing Lisa as the next OGM.
    I don't think he commented on Tuk's body. That is a totally different level of criticism. Duhamel has a muscular upper body with a low body fat %. She looks like an athlete in top shape with muscular shoulders and arms. For some people, it is distracting. My guess is that she will be covering her arms/shoulders next season because of those nasty comments.
    I agree. I see it more acceptable to criticise an adult woman like Duhamel, than a 14 year old child.

    Besides, Mozer did not say that Duhamel is fat. She said that Duhamel has muscular body. I think if Duhamel has a mirror at home, she would have known by now that she indeed has a muscular body, so probably nothing new for her.

  17. #37
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Looking for a pairs team to split up
    Posts
    40,229
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    43380
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Carroll made comments about Tuk's skating skills, jumping technique, speed and mostly technical points. He had some snarky comments, because people were already seeing Lisa as the next OGM.
    I don't think he commented on Tuk's body. That is a totally different level of criticism. Duhamel has a muscular upper body with a low body fat %. She looks like an athlete in top shape with muscular shoulders and arms. For some people, it is distracting. My guess is that she will be covering her arms/shoulders next season because of those nasty comments.
    You thought those were nasty comments?????? Seriously??? What a delicate little flower you are. Aliona Savchenko is totally buff. So is Volo. I also seriously doubt Duhamel is being all about this at all.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I agree. I see it more acceptable to criticise an adult woman like Duhamel, than a 14 year old child.

    Besides, Mozer did not say that Duhamel is fat. She said that Duhamel has muscular body. I think if Duhamel has a mirror at home, she would have known by now that she indeed has a muscular body, so probably nothing new for her.
    The complaints people are making are not that Mozer said she was muscular (i'm sure most people would take that well), it was the way she phrased it likening her to a man, that people have taken issue with.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    On valentine's day, tell a woman she has a man's body and she'll throw the delicate flowers at you.
    Now, I wish someone from Skate Canada would get back at Moser and comment about her body.

  20. #40
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    15,037
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    43699
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Now, I wish someone from Skate Canada would get back at Moser and comment about her body.
    Is the sport really that juvenile that it's all about a tit for tat?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •