Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 89
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13073

    Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher retrial

    'Breaking news:

    Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend will face a re-trial over the death of British student Meredith Kercher in Italy in 2007. More soon... '


    Just breaking here, wow, very surprised to hear this!


    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21936308


    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/45...taly-trial.htm
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    88512
    Heard this on the news this morning. According to CBC, the chance of Amanda being extradited should she be found guilty is zero.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Heard this on the news this morning. According to CBC, the chance of Amanda being extradited should she be found guilty is zero.
    Man, I didn't realize any Western countries allowed retrials like this... learn something new every day.

    I agree, the US won't extradite her for this. But it will mean she is trapped her for the rest of her life, because she can't risk traveling anywhere that will. After being aquitted, this must be horrible. If she really is innocent, compound that with losing her roommate, dealing with all the original proceedings, I just cannot imagine.

    Hopefully they will find her not-guilty again. It seemed like any evidence was really shaky, though what the hell she was thinking with her behavior while she was being held baffles me.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    yep, if I were Amanda, I would just ignore Italy. Can we just send Casey Anthony to Italy instead?
    Last edited by ks777; 03-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    I had read yesterday that the Italian supreme court was about to make a decision within the next few hours on whether these two would be tried again, but I forgot to check the news later in the day. I thought the nightmare was over for them, particularly Amanda since she is back in her home country. I can't believe that any civilized country would charge a person twice for the same crime.....or is this the normal progression (from apellate court to supreme court)?

    I also don't believe the US government will extradite its own citizen, but what a nightmare for Amanda! It sounded like she was free, but she is not really free, unless she limits her travels to only countries that will not extradite her.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    11,437
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4354
    It's a normal progression.

    It might not end up being such a bad thing for anyone. The first trial was so badly flawed that a fresh one might be able to shed some light on it.

    It may or may not clear Amanda and Rafaele (probably will, given the evidence), but let's not forget in the face of the media circus was that the real victim was Meredith, and her family is still desperately seeking answers about what went on. If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it.

    Also, from Rafaele's lawyer: "Quashing an acquittal does not imply a belief that the accused are guilty but indicates a desire by the judges of the court of cassation to request further analysis" . It might, therefore, shed some light on how the DNA evidence was so badly flawed.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I had read yesterday that the Italian supreme court was about to make a decision within the next few hours on whether these two would be tried again, but I forgot to check the news later in the day. I thought the nightmare was over for them, particularly Amanda since she is back in her home country. I can't believe that any civilized country would charge a person twice for the same crime.....or is this the normal progression (from apellate court to supreme court)?

    I also don't believe the US government will extradite its own citizen, but what a nightmare for Amanda! It sounded like she was free, but she is not really free, unless she limits her travels to only countries that will not extradite her.
    I don't know, I wouldn't want to travel to oversea after what she had to go through..

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    656
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So I guess the Italian witch hunt continues..

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,783
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    but let's not forget in the face of the media circus was that the real victim was Meredith, and her family is still desperately seeking answers about what went on. If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it.
    Amanda was/is also a real victim, she was a victim of screw-ups, a majorly flawed investigation. It doesn't make Meredith less of a victim, but it bugs me when people use the "let's not forget the real victim" - there can be more than one victim in a botched investigation. I feel sorry for both families, and all victims of this investigation. However IMHO, if Meredith's family think this trial will give more/different answers, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. I think they're now part of the witch hunt, they're so desperate for answers, they want people found guilty, regardless of whether they are or not. You say "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it." - I find that astounding - is it worth convicting someone of murder - regardless of whether the trial is fair, or if she did it or not, to give the family closure? Since when is closure for the victim's family the purpose of a trial? I thought it was justice; to prosecute the actual perpetrator.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,105
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Ridiculous. Amanda just needs to stay in the US. I can't believe this witch hunt is continuing.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,867
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    88512
    I don't know very much about murder investigations. I do know those talented actors on "Cold Case" seem to be able to solve crimes 30 years after the fact, but is it really possible at this point to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, what really happened?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,105
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Considering how badly the police bungled it, I doubt it.

  13. #13
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,101
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    9792
    Why are the police/prosecutors so convinced that Guede had an accomplice? I was once up on the evidence, but I have forgotten.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Amanda was/is also a real victim, she was a victim of screw-ups, a majorly flawed investigation. It doesn't make Meredith less of a victim, but it bugs me when people use the "let's not forget the real victim" - there can be more than one victim in a botched investigation. I feel sorry for both families, and all victims of this investigation. However IMHO, if Meredith's family think this trial will give more/different answers, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. I think they're now part of the witch hunt, they're so desperate for answers, they want people found guilty, regardless of whether they are or not. You say "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it." - I find that astounding - is it worth convicting someone of murder - regardless of whether the trial is fair, or if she did it or not, to give the family closure? Since when is closure for the victim's family the purpose of a trial? I thought it was justice; to prosecute the actual perpetrator.
    Well said. Nobody disputes that Meredith's violent death was tragic beyond words, and I do feel sorry for her family. However, as you correctly pointed out, simply convicting 'anyone' is not the right kind of closure for anyone.

    I watched a couple of interviews on CNN tonight on AC360. One of the experts said that the reason the case has gone to the Supreme court is that they want to look at the whole evidence, rather than pieces of it, and that the trial could go on for 2-3 years. They said it is not double jeopardy for Amanda. However, if I were Amanda, I would not go to Italy for the trial, of my free will. I am not an attorney, but from whatever I saw/heard during her trial, I don't have faith in the Italian justice system. They seem to crumble under public pressure.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    I worry for her then boyfriend, Rafael. He doesn't have another country to hide out in. This must be so draining financially and emotionally. Their whole 20s are taken up with this.

    Have the prosecutors even published a theory at this point? Have they ever said all 3 (Amanda, Rafael & Rudy) killed Meredith?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,706
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alan Dershowitz, Harvard Law School, March 27 2013, interview by Alessandra Farkas

    "All the lawyers and the judges I know have a very different opinion on this case, than the opinion of the average american, who only sees Amanda's pretty face and believes the superficial and biased US tv pieces on the matter".

    The US people, the internet and the press are on her side.

    "Amanda herself explained it: if I weren't beautiful, no one would talk about me. Then she brilliantly aired one of the best US PRs, which sold her look as proof of her innocence, making her seem a like a victim of the ancient italian court laws".

    Why are you so convinced Amanda is guilty?

    "I am convinced because I carefully examined the whole case. Circustantial evidences are enough to prove she's guilty and I believe the Italian Supreme Court did a an amazing job. The only issues of the first trial were the investigators' sloppyness and the state attorney's revengefulness".

    The US justice system would have convicted Amanda?

    "There's proof beyond any reasonable doubt which comes from her initial false confession, where she tried to implicate an innocent man. All the other proves have to be seen through the lense of that lie".

    What motive would have Amanda had to kill Meredith?

    "It wasn't pre-meditated, it was an impulsive crime, caused by an orgia, drugs and alchool".

    What will happen now?

    "If Amanda truely believes she's innocent, she should take the first flight to Italy and be there for her trial. But she won't, and she'll be on the run in the future".

    What do you mean?

    "For the rest of her life, Amanda will be trapped in her country: she'll be on the Interpol most wanted list, hence she could get arrested if she leaves the US".

    Can the US refuse to extradite Amanda?

    "I believe the Secretary of State won't. They wouldn't want Italy to become heaven for criminals running from US justice, so they'll play it fairly".

    Media wrote that the double jeopardy law prevents from getting a defendant on trial for the same crime twice.

    "That's not the case: Amanda was found not guilty at the end of her appeal, not at the end of her first trial. There's however another law, that prevents convicted people from making money out of their crimes, and states that any earnings should go the the family of the victim of the crime. The Kerchers will sue to get the millions Amanda is about to make".
    Last edited by loulou; 03-27-2013 at 02:09 PM.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    Wow, he's really struggling for relevancy.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    32148
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Amanda was/is also a real victim, she was a victim of screw-ups, a majorly flawed investigation. It doesn't make Meredith less of a victim, but it bugs me when people use the "let's not forget the real victim" - there can be more than one victim in a botched investigation. I feel sorry for both families, and all victims of this investigation. However IMHO, if Meredith's family think this trial will give more/different answers, I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. I think they're now part of the witch hunt, they're so desperate for answers, they want people found guilty, regardless of whether they are or not. You say "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it." - I find that astounding - is it worth convicting someone of murder - regardless of whether the trial is fair, or if she did it or not, to give the family closure? Since when is closure for the victim's family the purpose of a trial? I thought it was justice; to prosecute the actual perpetrator.
    I find it astounding that from the sentence "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it" you extrapolate that it means convicting the wrong person , carrying out an unfair trial and bunch of other stuff, when Jen specifically mentioned that the new trial might actually clarify some of the issues with the original trial/investigation

  19. #19

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,783
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I find it astounding that from the sentence "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it" you extrapolate that it means convicting the wrong person , carrying out an unfair trial and bunch of other stuff, when Jen specifically mentioned that the new trial might actually clarify some of the issues with the original trial/investigation
    The purpose of a trial is not to give closure, it's to get justice. If this trial give's Meredith's family closure, but convicts the wrong person, is it worth it? Because Jen saying "If this trial can give them some closure, then it'll be worth it", is promoting closure over justice IMO. Do you think that if more evidence comes to light, but Amanda is found not guilty, that Meredith's family will see that as closure? I don't. In fact, the family have said they think Amanda is guilty, they said it several times during the last legal proceedings. Is closure really worth a trial, if the trial isn't just? I don't think so. Meredith's family are always going to have questions, closure does need to be a choice eventually. They could have chosen the acquittal as a point for closure, but they didn't, and I certainly understand that - they want more answers. They'll never get all of the answers IMO, and they do want Amanda to go to jail and be found guilty. There was even fist-pumping happiness when it was found out that there will be a retrial, they really do want to think they'll get the "definitive and final truth of Meredith's murder", but I don't think that's possible. They made their feelings very clear that they want a guilty verdict. That's what they want for closure. Even if Amanda is guilty, if she doesn't get a fair trial (and I don't believe it's possible that she can now), than a retrial is not worth "it" - it's not worth the possibility that an innocent person, or a person who was denied a fair trial, go to jail. I'm sure that Meredith family DO want to retrial in order to get more information, but they want that information not just so they can get personal closure, but because they want it to send Amanda to jail, fair trial or not.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 03-27-2013 at 01:19 PM.

  20. #20
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,101
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    9792
    Is it possible for this trial to conclude that Guede acted alone? He is not on retrial. Or would it merely address whether or not Amanda and Raffaele were guilty.

    I don't think the Kerchner family will have closure if Amanda is convicted again, but remains free in the US. They can file a civil suit, but as we have seen with the Oj trial and the Goldmans, that does not necessarily bring closure.
    Last edited by Rob; 03-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •