Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1087

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    What will you be wearing at 70? And putting out a new album. The woman is a Goddess.
    I agree! I've been waiting for the release of "Woman's World" for months now, ever since I first heard it on her website. I'd rather listen to Cher any day than the likes of Taylor Swift. And I hope I'm still rockin' when I'm her age.

Oh, and Woman's World is gonna be added to my Zumba playlist as soon as I can choreograph it...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Saw the last hour. The En Vogue quartet was great! The confessionals were funny. Shakira is the Lil C judge, for SYTYCD fans Danielle sang very well tonight, it was great seeing Bob Seeger, and by gum Cher actually sang the chorus to her new song live (ok, probably bolstered by a backing track, but I was expecting full on lip synch). And, as always with this show, the contestant who would be most at home on AI wins. yay?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I guess rfisher is right about the music industry. I've been dealing with the media industry my entire working life, and the difference between the guy who has a show on CNN and the one who is an unpaid blogger is mostly ambition. Some of the best journalists I've known work for small to medium-sized papers or local TV outlets. Some of the network reporters' intellectual depth goes as deep as their makeup, about an inch.

I'm more reconciled this morning. I watched Danielle again on the Today Show while working out and even if she is not an immediate ex-turnip, she's not Leeann Rimes at that age either. Let's hope she doesn't grow up to be Rimes in ten years, despite her undeniably good voice.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    The result was no surprise.

I agree that Hunter and Danielle should tour, immediately
    Their duet was amazing, TPTB need to jump on that.
    Lots of $$$$ to be made.

Danielle will have some success because she has a ready audience and Blake to promote her
    Whether it will last, who knows?

Look to Cher for inspiration!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Let's hope Danielle (and her parents) are as smart and savvy as Taylor Swift. Putting her with Hunter Hays last night was brilliant in terms of marketing.

It doesn't bother me that the AI like singers win. There're the ones most people vote for or download. It's the reason those types of singers are on top of the charts. The Voice does provide a platform for the non-AI singers and that's fine. Michelle would have never made it past the producers on AI but she made the finals on the Voice and a lot of people had the chance to hear her and the Swons that wouldn't have otherwise. I'll say it again, quirky doesn't win, but it makes the finals and that's fine with me. I don't think Michelle has the ambition to be a superstar and doesn't have the personality to exist with an agent who would make her one, but this exposure can create some opportunities for her. What she does with them remains to be seen. Usher can get her record deal. All of the Voice mentors have the connections to help singers they like. CeeLo is promoting Juliet, Adam Tony Luka (although I don't know why), and Blake has already helped the Swons and Danielle.

I don't like AI, but I do like the Voice. People can whine about how X wins, but that's who the public chose. That's not Blake's fault. It's not his fault if there were multiple good country singers. There were plenty of non-country this time who didn't make it very far because people didn't vote for them. We could have had an R/B final or an all quirky final, but that's not what happened when the audience got to weigh in and help select who went through each week. It's the blind auditions and battle rounds that have the diversity. I like the way they're done. The mentor chooses the singer and sometimes the singer gets to choose the mentor. That's a calculated risk on their part. What if Michelle had gone with Adam or Shakira? Would she have been as successful? Probably not. She's really good at some things and not so much with others. What Usher did best was be atuned to what made her look and sound good.

Who knows how long the show will continue to be popular or if there will be a big breakout star like Clarkson or Underwood, but I'll continue to watch as long as the mentors make me laugh and I'm entertained for a couple hours a week.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    This ^^^^^^^^. Sorry I can't give you any rep right now.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

vCash
    Who knows how long the show will continue to be popular or if there will be a big breakout star like Clarkson or Underwood, but I'll continue to watch as long as the mentors make me laugh and I'm entertained for a couple hours a week.
    Hasn't The Voice totally failed so far in that regard? I can't name a single commercially successful artist to have 'graduated' from The Voice. The problem is: Good music is NEVER "all about the voice."

P.S. There are no words to describe how bad Cher's new single is. You'd think that with the resources available at her disposal, she could surely come out with something better. Ugh.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Hasn't The Voice totally failed so far in that regard? I can't name a single commercially successful artist to have 'graduated' from The Voice. The problem is: Good music is NEVER "all about the voice."

P.S. There are no words to describe how bad Cher's new single is. You'd think that with the resources available at her disposal, she could surely come out with something better. Ugh.
    Not yet, but that really isn't the focus of the production company. They aren't involved with the contestants after the show is over. Most people watch for the mentors. That being said, I think Danielle has the best chance of all the winners to date to be a commercial success if the universe aligns itself in her favor. There is no post-production tours or anything so it just depends on the agents who broker deals.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Good music is good music, I think what you mean is that commercially successfully music is rarely about the voice or even about good music?

This show has failed horribly when it comes to finding a real star, that is for sure. However, is that the point of the show? It is called The Voice...so it seems like finding exceptional singers is the main goal and I think they have done that. Making a star would be welcomed but the name says it is, it's not titled Next Pop Star.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I don't like AI, but I do like the Voice. People can whine about how X wins, but that's who the public chose.
    I do think that the winner can be determined by what is going on with the judges, and not necessarily by who the public will buy in future. That was evident when Jermaine won in season 2. IMO the guy was perfect as a backup singer & not a solo artist but the feud between Adam & Christina (which Blake wisely kept out of) guaranteed that their singers would not win. (That doesn't explain why Juliet Simms didn't win - maybe because quirky doesn't win. ) But Christina probably denied Chris Mann the win by her antics. Of course Chris was an AI type singer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^. Sorry I can't give you any rep right now.
    Ditto!

vCash
    I don't think Chris Mann had a shot at winning. He was, at best, a second rate Josh Groban. I always found him smarmy and not as good as he thought he was. Tony Lucca was also equal levels of asshattedness. I never felt that Adam or Christina were invested in their singers as much as they are in promoting themselves. But, Adam is still taking care of the former male mouse, so what do I know?

On a happier note (and less snarky) Bob Seger's getting a post voice boost - his greatest hits is in the Amazon top 10 album chart. So to people rediscovering one of my all time favorites.

And reflecting back on the season, I really loved the lack of screeching divas. Very refreshing to not have a ton of vocal gymnastics/cat screams on my tv this year!

vCash
    In terms of development, I think Usher takes the award for the work he did with Michelle Chamuel both in her development as a singer and in choosing very good songs for her. I don't see a whole lot of difference in Danielle from day 1 to now; maybe a bit more stage presence, but still no real emotional depth. The Swon Brothers are the same as they ever were, though Blake chose some good songs for them. Adam doesn't do a very good job picking songs, imo. Shakira did okay having started with a really, really weak team.

I wish they'd keep Usher on the panel instead of bringing back Xtina.

vCash
    On singing shows a lot of times people will say it doesn't matter who wins, the top 3 or 4 will be fine but as we've seen, that's usually not true. Even the winner usually doesn't make much of a splash. But I have a feeling that this year's Voice top 3 will all have decent careers. I wasn't really in favor of Danielle winning because I like to see someone who has paid her dues winning but I can't deny she's something special. And the Swons will probably do just fine in Nashville. I think the exposure Michelle got & the boost Usher will give her bodes well for her in the indie market. I doubt a huge career but I expect a decent one that will well support her.

vCash
    I don't see a whole lot of difference in Danielle from day 1 to now; maybe a bit more stage presence, but still no real emotional depth.
    How many 16 year olds have that, in any case?

vCash
    Off-hand I can think of Jackie Evancho, Charlotte Church, LeAnn Rimes, & Brenda Lee - IMO they all had more stage presence than Danielle.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Off-hand I can think of Jackie Evancho, Charlotte Church, LeAnn Rimes, & Brenda Lee - IMO they all had more stage presence than Danielle.
    Allison Iruheta.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Not that I'm a big fan, but Taylor Swift certainly had more presence.

vCash
    Off-hand I can think of Jackie Evancho...
    Some people have objected to her mature voice/presence; as though there is some "ick" factor there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Good music is good music, I think what you mean is that commercially successfully music is rarely about the voice or even about good music?
    What I meant is that in order to be commercially successful, you need to have charisma, stage presence, star quality, etc. Then of course there's things like having a good manager, smart marketing, being in the right place at the right time, the list would go on and on and on and there would be lots of things on the list which are far more important than whether or not you have a good voice.

If I want to be moved in some deeper way, I am going to turn to quirky, artsy music. When I turn to pop music, I do it because of the fantasy and the pure joy that it brings. I couldn't possibly care less whether somebody can really sing or whether they are an 'authentic artist' (whatever that even means).

Ergo, the very idea of The Voice is completely ridiculous.

It's trying to prove something that isn't worth to be proven.

And when you look at the track record of the people who either won or went far in the US and UK Voice (I can't speak of other countries because I don't know their markets well enough), there isn't anybody who has been commercially successful. Now look at X-Factor. You have One Direction, Leona Lewis, Rebecca Ferguson, Cher Lloyd, Little Mix, etc. all of whom have sold hundreds of thousands of albums.

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast