Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Have you been looking in my head? Because that is exactly what I think.
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one . I mean my brother agrees with me, but he's my brother and we agree on a lot of stuff when it comes to sci-fi shows/movies.
    Tennant's best episode was Midnight, I think, because he really couldn't overact and that made it so much better. Or possibly Waters of Mars.

So many of my issues with Tennant's era are more down to RTD than Tennant. It took me a while to realise that it wasn't that I disliked Tennant, it was that I disliked Davies. But while Davies wanted to make the Doctor into Jesus, Moffat is so busy messing with our heads he seems to have forgotten how to write good Who. Hopefully that hasn't leaked over into Sherlock.
    Last edited by Nell411; 06-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Afterlife
    vCash
    sorry
    Last edited by Nell411; 06-04-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Afterlife
    vCash
    sorry
    Last edited by Nell411; 06-04-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Afterlife
    vCash
    sorry
    Last edited by Nell411; 06-04-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Sorry for the multi posts. My browser was being stupid and it didn't look like the posts had gone through.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    Tennant's best episode was Midnight, I think, because he really couldn't overact and that made it so much better.
    Again in the head! I thought that was probably the best episode that RTD wrote for the show.

Moffat is so busy messing with our heads he seems to have forgotten how to write good Who.
    I agree that I wish there was a little less of that. I wasn't all that impressed with Gaiman's ep this season either.

Both RTD and Moff have stated that the way into the Doctor is through the companion, and I get that you/he need(s) the grounding, but IMO that doesn't mean that everything boils down to the companion. So, OK do it once, but I'm a bit weary of it, and really, there doesn't HAVE to be a season-long arc. Old Who did fine only using it a couple of times, and even then, it wasn't the revolving point.

Afterlife
    vCash
    I agree that I wish there was a little less of that. I wasn't all that impressed with Gaiman's ep this season either.
    I actually like Gaiman's episode. It wasn't as good as The Doctors Wife, but it was better than The Rings of Akhaten which was horrible and had a rather large plot hole at the end.
    Both RTD and Moff have stated that the way into the Doctor is through the companion, and I get that you/he need(s) the grounding, but IMO that doesn't mean that everything boils down to the companion. So, OK do it once, but I'm a bit weary of it, and really, there doesn't HAVE to be a season-long arc. Old Who did fine only using it a couple of times, and even then, it wasn't the revolving point.
    I agree. I enjoyed the first half of season 7 so much because there was no overall arc. It was just good stand alone episodes. And even the weakest episodes weren't that bad overall.

vCash
    Interesting.

I've never seen old-Who, so my exposure to the show is strictly Eccleston/Tennant/Smith. LOVE Tennant, like Smith and Eccleston. I like that there's an overall arc (and think that's actually a weakness of the first half of the seventh season, which really should've just function like the David Tennant specials) - indeed, I'll go so far and say if a television show doesn't have a basic throughline, I doubt I'll stay interested in it (generally). When Tennant left, I was upset. I'm okay with Smith going, though I can't tell if that's just me getting used to the idea of Doctors leaving or that Smith didn't impact me as much as Tennant.

Disliked "Midnight" a great deal, though.

vCash
    The BBC will announce the new Doctor this Sunday, live. 2pm eastern time. In the US, it will air on BBC America.

From the press release:

When: Sunday, August 4, 2 pm ET LIVE on BBC AMERICA and BBC One in the U.K.

Who: Widely regarded as one of the most hotly contested roles in British television, the special’s host Zoe Ball will unveil the Twelfth Doctor in their first-ever interview in front of a live studio audience. The half-hour show will include live special guests, Doctors old and new, as well as companions and celebrity fans. Current Doctor Matt Smith and lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat will both give interviews in the special.

Steven Moffat says: “The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.”

Matt Smith will make his penultimate appearance in the 50th Anniversary special on Saturday, November 23, and his Eleventh Doctor will regenerate in the Christmas Special.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    That dangling modifier is making me twitch. Sounds like Zoe Ball is the hotly contested role. [/English major]
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Peter Capaldi is the 12th Doctor!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi

vCash
    I didn't realize until I looked at the Wikipedia entry that this is the same Peter Capaldi who was the singer in Dreamboys, the punk band that Craig Ferguson played drums for. There is a photo of him back in the day in Craig Ferguson's autobiography, and in the text of the book Craig talks about what a great charismatic performer he was.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post

He looks very valeyardish

vCash
    I have hopes for this one because he's a long time fan. Glad they've gone older. Must be something about the casting for the Pompeii episode - this is the second actor from that epi to be recast in a major role.

vCash
    I have no idea who this guy is, but I'm glad that he's older.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post

I guess the only thing I've seen him in is the Brit series Fortysomething**...he was quite funny.

I must admit I don't know much about Dr. Who. I've seen a few of the Matt Smith episodes, and fewer of David Tennant's. While not versed in the history and lore of Dr. Who, I have enjoyed these episodes.

EDIT: Wikipedia has added this message to his page and locked it...

Editing of this article by new or unregistered users is currently disabled until August 5, 2013, because of a large volume of editing due to casting in Doctor Who.

See the protection policy and protection log for more details. If you cannot edit this article and you wish to make a change, you can request an edit, discuss changes on the talk page, request unprotection, log in, or create an account.

**Checked his CV...guess I also saw him in Dangerous Liaisons...don't remember his part...too many years since 1988.

EDIT2: Here are some video highlights from his career...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-...top-tv-moments

Peter Capaldi: the twelfth Doctor's top TV moments
    From Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It to John Frobisher in Torchwood, via Skins, The Hour and The Vicar of Dibley - here's what your new Doctor has been in before
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-04-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash

Of course I love Matt Smith so much that anyone would have been a disappointment. I'm honestly not sure that I'll even be able watch the Christmas Special. Maybe just say my goodbyes now and not even watch this fall.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

on my couch awaitin' Figure Skating season
    vCash
    This is narrow-minded because eventually The Doctor has to eventually run into the Klingons, who are primarily black men ..................oh, darn, mixing up my SciFi. Anyway, I liked Eccleston, got used to Tennant (at the beginning had trouble seeing him in something other than a crazy guy like he played in other Brit dramas) but I just never liked Smith.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I love Peter Capaldi -- it will be different to have an older Doctor, we haven't seen that for a while.

If you want to see Capaldi at his best I highly recommend the TV series The Thick of It (which is the original British series upon which Veep was based -- both created by Armando Iannucci). Acerbic, foul-mouthed, and completely hilarious. And he played the same character in the movie In the Loop. But he's also capable of serious stuff. It will be interesting to see how much levity he brings to his Doctor.

I didn't think I'd accept anyone after Tennant but I loved Smith from his first 5 minutes, so I'm willing to trust in TPTB.

The biggest question for me is, though ... will they let him be Scottish?

vCash
    Twitter:

anglophenia ‏@anglophenia 9h
    Just who is Peter Capaldi? A look at the new #DoctorWho star's most notable roles in clips: http://bit.ly/1elDuGd

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast