Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    So who all is confirmed to be in the 50th anniversary special? I heard David Tennant will be back, and Christopher Eccelston might be reappearing too. Any other old Doctors on board?
    oooh, I would LOVE it if they could get CE/#9 back. . . I know he's been reluctant to be linked with anything Dr Who due to the strange manner in which his departure went down, but I wish he could have stuck around another season. His doctor was fascinating to me. And FANTASTIC!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    A lot of them are available on DVD (and my library has them in their collection. have I mentioned today how much I love my library?). They've been releasing them in chunks ever since the series reboot in 2005. Some of them are less than perfect technically (and the classic Who always had a very low-budget look, part of its charm), but still a lot of fun to watch.
    I highly doubt there's any library anywhere near me that has any DW dvds available, and I don't really have the budget to buy them all. I live in hope that the Swedish edition of Netflix will get its act together and make some classic DW available for viewing, cos right now they've only got series 1 - 5 of the reboot.

Also, I would LOVE to see Eccleston return. They say you'll always love your first Doctor the most, and he was the one for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Not to mention that he's nearing the valeyard point
    That could be interesting, but I wonder if they'll figure out a way to put it off, since the Valeyard isn't supposed to show up until near his last regeneration. I can't see them stopping at Doctor 13 if the ratings hold up. Too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    So who all is confirmed to be in the 50th anniversary special? I heard David Tennant will be back, and Christopher Eccelston might be reappearing too. Any other old Doctors on board?
    Have they actually positively confirmed anyone? I do know a few weeks back that John Barrowman made a comment that ad the interwebs buzzing that he'd be back, but later he basically retracted what he'd said. However, I think that this kind of thing has happened with him more than once. He seem to have a big mouth.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    That could be interesting, but I wonder if they'll figure out a way to put it off, since the Valeyard isn't supposed to show up until near his last regeneration. I can't see them stopping at Doctor 13 if the ratings hold up. Too much money.
    There was a line in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures that Matt Smith guested in where he tells Clyde that he can regenerate 507 times. However many fans don't think that the line counts. There is another theory that when River gives the Doctor her regenerations in Let's Kill Hitler that it reset the Doctors regenerations.

Have they actually positively confirmed anyone? I do know a few weeks back that John Barrowman made a comment that ad the interwebs buzzing that he'd be back, but later he basically retracted what he'd said. However, I think that this kind of thing has happened with him more than once. He seem to have a big mouth.
    They haven't confirmed anyone besides Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman. David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston have been asked by the media about it and they've both been really vague in response. Which is more notable for Eccleston because he has always said that he wouldn't be back before.
    And I just realised that I have no links for the interviews with Eccleston and Tennant. I saw screencaps on Tumblr one day, I never thought to save the links, sorry
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I got a bit tired of Tennant's Doctor, but I think that had more to do with the way he was scripted.

I do, however, love Smith's Doctor for the very reason you do. He can be dark, and I think that the best Doctors have that dark edge. It's really no surprise that Smith's Doctor is the way he is, since it is widely known that he based his Doctor after Troughton's after seeing "Tomb of the Cybermen".

I was also a fan of McCoy's Doctor, even though some ofthe scripts weren't so good. He was more than a little manipulative.
    Are you my long lost twin? I also got tired of Tennant's Doctor and prefer Smith. And we should probably form a club of the half dozen people who think McCoy's Doctor was vastly under-rated. I finally got around to buying 'Battlefield' on DVD, and 'Curse of Fenric' is next on my hit list.

I'm dithering about watching the new season. I was going to give up on Doctor Wh as I didn't want to be one of these people who watched and complained it wasn't the same as in the old days. But I really enjoyed the Christmas special, so now I can't make up my mind whether to watch or not!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Posters for the first four eps of series 7b. I think I'll keep my Union Flag pillow ready when watching the fourth one.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    Are you my long lost twin? I also got tired of Tennant's Doctor and prefer Smith. And we should probably form a club of the half dozen people who think McCoy's Doctor was vastly under-rated. I finally got around to buying 'Battlefield' on DVD, and 'Curse of Fenric' is next on my hit list.

I'm dithering about watching the new season. I was going to give up on Doctor Wh as I didn't want to be one of these people who watched and complained it wasn't the same as in the old days. But I really enjoyed the Christmas special, so now I can't make up my mind whether to watch or not!
    Because I started watching the show when Space was doing a marathon of the Tennant specials then airing The Eleventh Hour, I ended up getting caught up on the first 4 seasons of Who while watching season 5 and while I enjoyed Tennant, I preferred Eccleston and Smith. Tennant was so over the top so often, and I found Russel T. Davies writing lacking sometimes. While the show has gotten more twisty and wibbly wobbly, I find the overall story arc a lot more satisfying.

I'm really looking forward to the new episode, I loved Amy & Rory as companions but by the end I was getting kind of tired of them and how messed up things always were with them and the Doctor. I think Clara might be just what the show needs. If the Christmas special is any indication it should definitely be entertaining.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Are you my long lost twin?
    I don't know. How do you feel about Firefly, and do you think that sparkly vampires should be staked on site?

Aww, c'mon, you know you want to...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    oooh, I would LOVE it if they could get CE/#9 back. . . I know he's been reluctant to be linked with anything Dr Who due to the strange manner in which his departure went down, but I wish he could have stuck around another season. His doctor was fascinating to me. And FANTASTIC!
    That whole saga was quite interesting, and kudos to all for not airing the laundry back then, which was I'm sure done so that the show would survive. Lately it seems to me from reading between the lines, that there was more than a little bit of head-butting between Eccleston and RTD. It really must have been a bad experience for Eccleston to be that turned off. I mean, there is a difference between "I'm moving on" and "I don't ever want to talk about it".

vCash
    I still haven't watched any of season 7 . Smith is probably my favourite Doctor, he is so crazy , then Eccleston and then Tennant, even if I love seasons 3 and 4, which were the first I've watched. Frankly, since I watched the series out of order, I was baffled when I watched season 2 because David Tennant was so harsh that I wondered how anyone warmed up to him, I do like him a lot in interviews and it made me like him better as the Doctor. Chris Eccleston is, well, fantastic! One of my favourite actors! I recall seeing an interview he did on the Jonathan Ross show where Jonathan showed him an action doll of the himself as the Doctor and Chris was absolutely surprised by it, he didn't have a clue it would be made, so it made me wonder about what else he wasn't told that could have turned him off working on the series.

vCash
    So, it's official that David Tennant and Billie Piper will appear in the 50th anniversary special. Also John Hurt. I wonder if more castings will be forthcoming. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    I don't know. How do you feel about Firefly, and do you think that sparkly vampires should be staked on site?
    Firefly is one of my favourite TV series ever. As for sparkly vampires, they should indeed be staked on site, along with their sulky teenage friends.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I'm really glad I could watch this ep right away, otherwise I'd have to avoid half the internet now. It's amazing how quickly people dig into the details and start analysing them to Gallifrey and back.

vCash
    So, it's official that David Tennant and Billie Piper will appear in the 50th anniversary special. Also John Hurt. I wonder if more castings will be forthcoming. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Awesome!

Gives me a reason to actually watch the 50th special.

I'm kinda hoping it's not Human Ten and Rose though. I don't want Moffat to screw with them. I never felt that he wrote those 2 very well (yeah, I know Girl in the Fireplace is a fan favorite eppie, but I felt 10, Rose and even Mickey were all out of character in that eppie. You could've substituted 11 and Amy and they'd have made far more sense in that ep than 10 and Rose did. IMO, Moffat just didn't get 10.).

vCash
    I, on the other hand, would LOVE to see Rose and Human!Ten meet Eleven, just to see what they make of him. Ten got pretty dark at times, and Ten.5 was "born in battle", but they both still have a degree of humanity and mercy to them, whereas Eleven, beneath that veneer of quirky antics, seems more accepting of his role as a dark god of time and space, even if he doesn't like it.

vCash
    I love David Tennant, but after watching the eps back-to-back over the course of several days I got tired of him too. Matt Smith was such a breath of fresh air after the increased amount of melodrama of the last few Tennant specials. Ugh.
    And Billie Piper is coming back?! I thought they weren't bringing back any companions. Where have I been reading this crap? Ergh, I shouldn't trust the internet.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Can't say I'm excited about Rose, she was not my favourite companion and I wasn't sorry to see her go. Human-10 could be interesting -- the only time we saw him he was borderline catatonic so we have no idea what kind of personality he has. And while agree 10 was getting tedious by the end of his run, I blame RTD more than Tennant (David Tennant can do no wrong in my book), and I think Tennant and Smith riffing off each other with some great Moffat script could be amazing.

But meanwhile back to the "Bells of St John" (brilliant title btw even if it only really had any meaning for the very beginning) ... thank you very much Steven Moffat for turning another modern convenience into a threat to humanity! (Although the repeated references to "the wifi" bothered me in its factual ambiguity.) Can someone remind me, though: did The Doctor know it was The Great Intelligence behind things, or is it only us who know because we saw the final conversation between The Intelligence and the Celia Imrie character?

Best line:
    Clara: "When you say 'mobile phone,' why do you point at that blue box?"
    The Doctor: "Because it's a surprisingly accurate description."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Can't say I'm excited about Rose, she was not my favourite companion and I wasn't sorry to see her go. Human-10 could be interesting -- the only time we saw him he was borderline catatonic so we have no idea what kind of personality he has. And while agree 10 was getting tedious by the end of his run, I blame RTD more than Tennant (David Tennant can do no wrong in my book), and I think Tennant and Smith riffing off each other with some great Moffat script could be amazing.
    I was so ready for Rose to go, and I never really liked the whole romance thing. While I'm not as big a Tennant fan, I agree that RTD's writing had more to do with that than with Tennant's acting.

thank you very much Steven Moffat for turning another modern convenience into a threat to humanity!
    After watching the Third Doctor special on BBCA, I completely see where Moffat got the inspiration to do that all the time. He commented that he was completely terrified by the Autons and the idea that something as ordinary as a shop dummy could be a menace.

Can someone remind me, though: did The Doctor know it was The Great Intelligence behind things, or is it only us who know because we saw the final conversation between The Intelligence and the Celia Imrie character?
    You know, I'm not sure. My viewing was a little distracted by other stuff. I don't think he did, but I'll need to watch it again.

Best line:
    Clara: "When you say 'mobile phone,' why do you point at that blue box?"
    The Doctor: "Because it's a surprisingly accurate description."
    I know, I just howled!

Over all I thought it was a good episode 7 of 10. Mostly because Clara tells him no, and says come back tomorrow, maybe I'll say yes. And..."Snog Box"

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Entertainment Weekly has an article about which episodes newbies should watch first.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/25/do...-matt-smith-3/
    thank you so much for that link I really enjoyed the trip back down memory lane with the Dr Who I grew up with as a child in England in the 70's.. so interesting that now my own daughter (23) posted on her facebook after the weekend how much she enjoyed watching the premier with her tardis mug drinking tea I used to hide behind the couch as a small child when the daleks came on the screen
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I think I will love Clara like I did with Donna. Both are very intelligent companion, and do not fall for the Doctor.
    I kind of cracked up at the "Doctor Who?" repetition by the girl who died twice. I kind of wonder what her arc is. I miss the Ponds so much
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast