Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I like how some of you think. Thanks for the chuckle on this wet and overcast day.
    Chilly too... the only way I know its spring is that my garden is full of weeds!

Blergh
    vCash
    Let's face it though, subjectivity is the reason why we feel such a strong emotional connection to figure skating and the skaters themselves. Making a subjectively-leaning sport more objective is a balancing act. If you have make a move towards too much objectivity, it will lose its original soul and become something totally different. That may be a good thing, but it might not be. Gymnastics is still going through rough times and are constantly changing the rules and scoring system to make it more appealing and aesthetically-pleasing like its golden era. However, there's always something unsatisfying or incomplete about the "improvements."

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I WANT MORE SUBJECTIVITY!!!
    I want more subjectivity, too as long as it agrees with my subjectivity ; otherwise,
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnW View Post
    I want more subjectivity, too as long as it agrees with my subjectivity ; otherwise,
    Let me show you how absurd your position is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Let's face it though, subjectivity is the reason why we feel such a strong emotional connection to figure skating and the skaters themselves. Making a subjectively-leaning sport more objective is a balancing act. If you have make a move towards too much objectivity, it will lose its original soul and become something totally different. That may be a good thing, but it might not be. Gymnastics is still going through rough times and are constantly changing the rules and scoring system to make it more appealing and aesthetically-pleasing like its golden era. However, there's always something unsatisfying or incomplete about the "improvements."
    Is this...that...rationality thing I have been hearing about? HOW DID IT GET IN THE TRASH CAN!!!???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Are you threatening us aftershocks with a new and improved, more objective scoring method?
    With your moniker (not to mention your casually innocent thread title provocation) maybe you'd have more success.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is this...that...rationality thing I have been hearing about? HOW DID IT GET IN THE TRASH CAN!!!???
    Hey, what about just like on DWTS, the audience gets to decide who wins!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Hey, what about just like on DWTS, the audience gets to decide who wins!
    Isnt that what this thread is trying to do?

vCash
    Because this thread title belongs to Trash Can.

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    But my subjectivity is very objective! It's based on what and who I like.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    I WANT MORE RATIONALITY!!!!

In purple, bold, italic, shouty font!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Isnt that what this thread is trying to do?
    Perhaps, in your rational judgment. In any case, results are always hashed and rehashed on skating forums.

Denis and his coach seem quite happy with the silver medal.

The folks who mounted a protest of the men's results, however futile, had the right to make their voices heard. To believe otherwise is, dare I say, irrational and refutable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Perhaps, in your rational judgment. In any case, results are always hashed and rehashed on skating forums.

Denis and his coach seem quite happy with the silver medal.

The folks who mounted a protest of the men's results, however futile, had the right to make their voices heard. To believe otherwise is, dare I say, irrational and refutable.
    I believe they've heard these folks' voices, and they've made a rational decision by not honoring their irrational outcry, and not changing the system much for the Olympic season.
    Last edited by Eyre; 05-29-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Blergh
    vCash
    One thing I think gymnastics does well that I think figure skating sort of falters on is that the ISU can or have changed the rules mid-Olympic cycle whereas the FIG (gymnastics international federation) doesn't implement any major changes to the way they score elements or create deductions on technique and execution until after the Olympics. I think if the ISU wants to fix technique problems or create scoring changes to promote a certain "look" or "philosophy" they should do it after the nearest Olympics but make it known early on that they are planning these changes. That way skaters who were brought up one system where certain things were overlooked (like flutzing or over rotations) before an Olympic cycle don't become a problem for a skater mid-cycle. However, by letting it be known that they are implementing these changes to improve skating, the younger generations or even veterans can know early on what things they need to work on to better prepare themselves for the next cycle.

However, that does sort of create a mentality that the Olympics are the be-all to end-all, and I've always argued that Worlds (though maybe not as lucrative or prestigious as an Olympics) are an incredibly important competition that decides who is the best skater that season (akin to a NBA championship or even Super Bowl). Thus, theoretically, why couldn't the ISU make a change whenever they want to since Worlds happens every year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    I believe they've heard these folks' voices, and they've made a rational decision by not honoring their irrational outcry, and not changing the system much for the Olympic season.
    I too want more Rationality.......I love it when it produces such rational results!

vCash
    I too want more Rationality.......I love it when it produces such rational results!
    Have faith. Aren't humans the most rational of all animals?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Have faith. Aren't humans the most rational of all animals?
    Yes, when they are asleep!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Thus, theoretically, why couldn't the ISU make a change whenever they want to since Worlds happens every year?
    Because Worlds happens every year.

vCash
    Yes, when they are asleep!
    Because they stop thinking and talking??
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Monica Friedlander's latest - "Petition Protesting Skating Results Sent to Top Officials" (June 3): http://www.examiner.com/article/peti...-top-officials
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast