Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I like to walk. I am a fast walker and I walk maybe 4-6 miles a day, working on my property, working or walking the dogs. But there is no way I would walk parts of Spokane's beautiful 50 mile trail along the river at night. During the day, even, many cars in the parking lots for the trail are broken into by people looking for things they can sell to buy drugs. (My car was broken into at Nats in St Paul.) And Google Spokane car theft. "Spokane has jumped to the top of another national list as the fourth highest rate of car theft in the country, joining Yakima and eight cities in California as the worst places to own a car." In reality, walking those five blocks to my hotel in Detroit is probably safe cause I will be with 500 of my best friends and most skating events have a big police presence, like at Worlds, Omaha, Cleveland, etc. But the People Mover is right there and it is a quick trip to my hotel. The river walk does seem nice for the daytime....
    (I have a friend who is a veterinarian in a Detroit suburb and has been for decades. She wont even come to see me and have dinner because of what she reads....I try and tell her it will be safe cause of the police, but she doesnt believe it...sigh...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Dunno,

Doesnt seem like that long of a walk for even slightly able people

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    If you stay in the area of the event, you should have no problems.
    ^^This.

Chris, I will send you a PM later today. I don't think skating fans want to read about the political and economic history of Detroit in this particular thread.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Hate to be picky, but it's actually (elevated) light rail transit. The People Mover, the Skytrain in Vancouver, and a system in Kuala Lumpur are the only three LRT systems in the world using that particular technology. (And not because it's the best.....because it's really expensive, and everywhere else figured out cheaper ways to build the same thing )
    Meh, if it looks like a monorail and acts like a monorail then it's a monorail.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Hate to be picky, but it's actually (elevated) light rail transit. The People Mover, the Skytrain in Vancouver, and a system in Kuala Lumpur are the only three LRT systems in the world using that particular technology. (And not because it's the best.....because it's really expensive, and everywhere else figured out cheaper ways to build the same thing )
    Seattle has a light rail that is elevated in some parts. And we have a Monorail to nowhere!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Chris, I will send you a PM later today. I don't think skating fans want to read about the political and economic history of Detroit in this particular thread.
    Very true.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Seattle has a light rail that is elevated in some parts. And we have a Monorail to nowhere!
    The Experience Music Project is "nowhere"?? Hendrix would disagree mightily!

My first and only experience with a "People Mover" was at my only trip to Disneyland, 1984. The hilarious commentary spoke of People Movers being the wave of the future and how they'd be in cities everywhere worldwide, and soon.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Meh, if it looks like a monorail and acts like a monorail then it's a monorail.
    If the jump looks rotated and acts like it's rotated then its rotated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    I doubt we'll see Evan or Plushy before the Olympics (maybe Plush will do Euros, maybe Evan does Nationals?), but they most likely will not do any of the Grand Prix. Same with Yuna. I doubt V/M and D/W will want to meet before the GPF/4 Continents. My guess is Skate America will get D/W and Skate Canada will get V/M.
    I think USFSA will heavily court the top Canadian skaters to draw attendace from both sides of the border. Since so many skaters train in the Toronto/Detroit area it will be a desirable competition because they won't have to spend a lot of time/money on travel. They will likely get plum appearance fees also.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Appearance fees?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Most of the top Canadian skaters do Skate Canada, though, and I didn't think athletes liked to do back-to-back GP events. Weaver/Poje might get SA because we've had them a few times already. I'm sure Chan will do SC, so I don't see him being at SA. Maybe we can get Javi since he trains in Canada.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Please please get Yuzuru and Javi!!

vCash
    Skate State Washington had plenty of Canadian fans in the stands and they barely had any Canadian skaters. I don't see Skate America doing anything different.

Quadless
    vCash
    Isn't there a rule about the way in which the top 6 finishers at the most recent World Championship must be distributed, and what does that mean in terms of a potential roster for SKAM?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Worlds 1-3 were Chan, Ten, Fernandez; 4-6 were Hanyu, Reynolds, Takahashi - these are the seeded men for the Grand Prix. USFS is supposed to pick 1 man from 1-3 and 1 from 4-6.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Worlds 1-3 were Chan, Ten, Fernandez; 4-6 were Hanyu, Reynolds, Takahashi - these are the seeded men for the Grand Prix. USFS is supposed to pick 1 man from 1-3 and 1 from 4-6.
    Considering Chan will go to SC, So Fernandez couldn't, I'm assuming he'll go to SA, As he trains in Canada, Right ?

Same should apply for Hanyu and Reynolds
    Last edited by Eladola; 03-27-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Denis Ten trains in California and could be picked for SA.

Quadless
    vCash
    From 4 - 6, I hope they choose Hanyu or Takahashi, but they might want to try to Reynolds if they think it will help draw more Canadians to the event.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I would love to see Takahashi at SA! I'd be fine with either Ten or Fernandez. I assume Ashley Wagner will be there, and since Gracie Gold wouldn't be able to (or does the seeded rule not apply to home-country skaters?), I'm hoping Christina Gao will be selected. I'd like to see the 3rd spot in each discipline go to an up-and-comer who has a great summer comp season, who wouldn't get to go to a GP otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    They will likely get plum appearance fees also.
    Skaters don't receive appearance fees for GP events. They earn prize money depending on their placement, and I believe the prize money amounts are the same for each GP.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Japan was able to select both Takahashi and Hanyu (2012 Worlds 2-3) for NHK last year.

Imagine the extra seats that could filled if Yuna Kim were to be invited to SA! Actually, Kim, Kostner or Asada would be a great draw for a SA audience - hope they all decide to compete on the GP this fall.

vCash
    If Kostner was going to be at SA this year, I would move heaven and earth to be there. I'm dying to see her skate in person.

vCash
    I don't even know how to suggest this without getting a "Reputation notification" (Still don't get what that s**t means)

But, Like .... Since all the real nice hotels around the rink have only rooms that are built for 2 or more people, And though,
    Like around 600$ for a weekend is, I guess, Acceptable, did anyone have a thought cross their mind as to, Like, Maybe , Share a 2 bed room
    to save costs or, Um... Something ?

I just can't seem to brainwash anyone to come with me, Yet ...
    Phew... I don't know, Detroit scares me a little, I just keep thinking of Eminem's life story .

EDIT : Nevermind ^_^ , Found someone that might go, With a little bit more torture
    Last edited by Eladola; 03-28-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast