Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Wow I just googled the arena... It has more than 20000 seats... larger than Staples Center where 09 LA Worlds was held.
    I really wonder if this arena will be sold out.. this is way sooooo big!!

vCash
    That is a good question. I am still confused about who picked Detroit....it is an ISU event but I suspect USFSA is in on the decision???? Bob, the event guru at USFSA, is no fool. If he had his hand in this,
    they have a plan about the marathon....if he still works there....I dont see the current hostile takeover of the city government by the Governor being an issue but you never know. Dont read the book,
    "Detroit, An American Autopsy"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    5 hours away by Amtrak. I am seriously tempted. Now only if we know the roster!

I think the skating ticket itself would def. be reasonable, the accommodation on the other hand...
    Normally, SA is a very reasonably priced event.
    I think we can count on Evan L, Plushy, Chan, YuNa, AL, Mao. Kanako, A. Suzuki, Carolina Mirai, V/M, D/W, L/L, and C/B showing up....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I think we can count on Evan L, Plushy, Chan, YuNa, AL, Mao. Kanako, A. Suzuki, Carolina Mirai, V/M, D/W, L/L, and C/B showing up....
    Are you talking about as viewers ?

Because if he contends next year he probably, again, wouldn't step out of russia till Europeans

vCash
    This arena is huge, and probably wouldn't even sell out for Nationals, so I imagine they will curtain off the upper bowl.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Blergh
    vCash
    Although I do understand why it's more sensible to hold skating events in smaller cities with smaller arenas, I do like that this is going to be in Detroit. Sometimes, you miss the idea of a skating event being in a big city. I do hope that the attendance won't be embarrassingly small though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I do hope that the attendance won't be embarrassingly small though.
    It depends so much on the roster as well. Fingers crossed that my favorite gets SA again this year...

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    It depends so much on the roster as well. Fingers crossed that my favorite gets SA again this year...
    Does that matter as much though? I mean it does for us dedicated fans, but for the arena to have a moderately successful attendance, I'd think the promoters would have to appeal to a broader group

vCash
    I'm not planning on attending SA, but took a look at the info on Google about the Detroit Marathon. If you are really thinking about attending please look over the info on road closures and such. I was amazed that many of the roads in the area of the start/finish for the marathon (close to Joe Louis) close at 2 a.m. on Sunday and reopen at 4 p.m.

Runners are advised to be in the parking lots by 6 a.m. on Sunday. Detroit is also expecting 50,000 spectators for the race. The Ambassador bridge has controlled access in the morning, but the Windsor tunnel is closed until 10 a.m. on Sunday.

Detroit Tigers may have another good year which means there could be playoff or World Series games at the same time which would add many more people.

Just stuff to think about before buying tickets for SA.

vCash
    I was hoping (lol) they would have it in Charleston, sc or Charlotte, nc.

vCash
    Anyone know when tickets go on sale?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    This arena is huge, and probably wouldn't even sell out for Nationals, so I imagine they will curtain off the upper bowl.
    Just as the whack around the world was heard, I attended '94 Nationals in Detroit. The arena was packed for the event, if I recall correctly.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    2013 Skate America Detroit, MI Checklist:

Tickets - tick
    Autograph book - tick
    Camera - tick
    Tonya Harding's bodyguards - tick

vCash
    Darn, this would be a relatively easy one for me to get to, only 2 hours away. I would stay at the Marriott and take the People Mover (as suggested upthread), as my husband and I have done exactly that to attend a Red Wings game at the Joe Louis. Easy Peasy. However, this is turning into a very expensive year for us already, with vacations and home renos, and I really don't think I can add anything else on to my expenses. Boooo......

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sarakimm View Post
    Anyone know when tickets go on sale?
    Posted earlier in the thread:

"The 2013 Skate America website, that will include event and All-Event ticket package information, will be live in early May."

I am still confused about who picked Detroit....it is an ISU event but I suspect USFSA is in on the decision????
    Yes, USFS asks interested cities to submit bids and they select the city.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Not entirely sure if I'm going, but I booked a room at the nearby Doubletree just in case- I can always cancel if I can't go.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    I doubt we'll see Evan or Plushy before the Olympics (maybe Plush will do Euros, maybe Evan does Nationals?), but they most likely will not do any of the Grand Prix. Same with Yuna. I doubt V/M and D/W will want to meet before the GPF/4 Continents. My guess is Skate America will get D/W and Skate Canada will get V/M.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I'm not planning on attending SA, but took a look at the info on Google about the Detroit Marathon. If you are really thinking about attending please look over the info on road closures and such. I was amazed that many of the roads in the area of the start/finish for the marathon (close to Joe Louis) close at 2 a.m. on Sunday and reopen at 4 p.m.

Runners are advised to be in the parking lots by 6 a.m. on Sunday. Detroit is also expecting 50,000 spectators for the race. The Ambassador bridge has controlled access in the morning, but the Windsor tunnel is closed until 10 a.m. on Sunday.

Detroit Tigers may have another good year which means there could be playoff or World Series games at the same time which would add many more people.

Just stuff to think about before buying tickets for SA.
    I'm not sure the marathon would be that much of a problem.....don't most Skate America events start mid-morning or mid-afternoon?
    If there are practices at the arena in the early morning, then there could be a conflict.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It's the road closures that cause problems.

vCash
    Having attended many SAs (no one there in the last few years) and Worlds London, I would say that if top Canadian Skaters are chosen by what ever process happens, you will see lots of Canadians at SA and therefore a good attendance.
    I dont know who pics what US skaters will appear at SA but I bet you will see many good ice dancers on and off the ice. With 50K in town for the marathon, I dont know what accomodations the USFSA/ISU has come up with for the fans
    along with transportation, but if you are thinking of going, you might make a reservation that can be canceled with the Double Tree/Holiday Inn Expess now....you can always cancel later....the ticket prices will be interesting...typcially they
    are about $225 for good seats.....
    (Sorry for my dry humor....the rosters I might have presented are totally bogus....as others have stated, even the real roster is subject to injury and cancellation. I wouldnt attend on the hope of seeing any one skater....)

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast