Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    Hmm ... Seems cheaper, Has a swimming pool and an extra star, But i too don't get it .

Anyone here booking there ?

The Marathon is a rather large event due to it's international component. The runners cross the Ambassador bridge to canada, run along the windsor waterfront and return to detroit via the tunnel. If they only recently decided to book the hotel, it may have been difficult to reserve a block of hotel rooms with the marathon coming up in less than 6 months. Participants usually like to stay close to the start of the marathon which begins and ends 1.5 miles from the arena and most of the nice hotels are located directly between the two sites.

Can't believe there have been so many international events in this neck of the woods in a single calendar year!

vCash
    OK, so I have to wonder if we will be fighting for hotel rooms near the arena? I think this choice is a good one if this is a nice arena. No one typically goes to SA but as this is so near Canada, it is bound to draw Canadians to the event, filling seats.

vCash
    That's awesome! Only about an hour and a half away, hmmm.

vCash
    Doing a happy dance! Only an hour bus ride away!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Now I wait for the Brennan article about skating being the Detroit of sports because of COP

vCash
    Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Can't wait!

I wonder if Charlie and Meryl are to thank for this Maybe Alyssa & Jeremy, too.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    The official hotel is out in Dearborn (why USFSA picked that one when there's a Doubletree a few blocks from the arena ), so the athletes will be trying to get through traffic on Sunday, too. Do they close off all access to downtown for the marathon?
    Where do we find the info re: the official hotel? Are they offering a Skate America rate this year?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    We may have to wait and see if there will be a special hotel rate for fans - from the press release:

"The 2013 Skate America website, that will include event and All-Event ticket package information, will be live in early May."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Wheee!!!! Last time I was at the Joe for a figure skating event was the whack year. (I was there for dance, not ladies alas.)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, so I have to wonder if we will be fighting for hotel rooms near the arena? I think this choice is a good one if this is a nice arena. No one typically goes to SA but as this is so near Canada, it is bound to draw Canadians to the event, filling seats.
    There's the Marriott at the Renaissance Center, which is pretty big and fairly close. You could walk, or take the People Mover (which only goes one way, so going there would be the whole loop, but getting back to the hotel would be very short). There's others - I've never stayed downtown so I am not familiar with the hotels - but most of them are probably somewhere near the People Mover.

I would suspect that the Windsorites would just come over for the day - that's what we did when Skate Canada was in Windsor. Windsor and Detroit are really close to each other.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would stay at the DoubleTree and drive (those hotels in Dearborn are practically on the city border and it's a nicer area. Of course ANYTHING outside city limits is nicer.) I wouldn't bother staying unless it's more than an hour's drive anyway. And I just might go myself since it's only three hours and a straight shot down the freeway!

Hm...given it's the same city, think we're in for retrospectives? There was Michelle debuting Lyra Angelica in 1997-98, and of course this was the host site for the Nationals featuring the Whack Heard Round the World....I still remember where I was when I heard about that. (And yes, my high-school teacher I was with at the time and I both went "Of course this had to happen in Detroit!")

vCash
    Exactly, but for a backup, I booked at the Holiday Inn Express (free hot breakfast). I wouldnt be afraid of the walk (which I did on google " street view" during the day but I would like to be with a pack of fans doing that walk at 10 pm. Or take a cab. We shall see what the USFSA can do for special rates. I got $177 which is the rate where you can cancel for free. They always give me a day or two jump on getting the special event packages so I will hound Wallis for info. . BTW, I also have a res at the doubletree but I am NOT going to cancel that till later as a waterpipe might break in the Holiday INN and take out the fire alarm system, closing the place down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    We may have to wait and see if there will be a special hotel rate for fans - from the press release:

"The 2013 Skate America website, that will include event and All-Event ticket package information, will be live in early May."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8fun View Post
    The Detroit Marathon is on that Sunday though which could cause a problem for traffic. I know they normally close down all area roads for the marathon. Could be a traffic nightmare on Sunday but I'll find a way to be there. Can't wait!
    Oh yikes. I ran the Detroit Marathon a few years ago and the race course went right around the Joe Louis. Unless they switched the race course, this could be a bit of a nightmare.

vCash
    The Detroit Marathon starts at 7am, and the Half-Marathon starts at 11:00 am. Per the website, both the Marathon & Half-Marathon courses close at 2:00 pm.

vCash
    I was hoping for the east coast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Oh yikes. I ran the Detroit Marathon a few years ago and the race course went right around the Joe Louis. Unless they switched the race course, this could be a bit of a nightmare.
    So here's a question,
    Has there ever been a Host announcement, That has later been changed due to whatever ?
    (Not talking about the JPN debacle, More like inaccessibility issues and stuff)

vCash
    If anyone needs information about Detroit, just ask! =) Also Novi, Canton and DSC are within an hour or less from the Joe. International skater watching should be in full effect!
    softball

vCash
    So I spend 5 years at Eastern Michigan University, and then after I move away London, ONT gets Worlds and Detroit gets Skate America?

I am not amused.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I was hoping for the east coast
    It's slowly getting there.

vCash
    5 hours away by Amtrak. I am seriously tempted. Now only if we know the roster!

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    ooo, ooo, oooh. I could maybe actually go. . . only a 3-hr drive!!! (Anyone know what tickets typically cost for this kind of event?)
    I think the skating ticket itself would def. be reasonable, the accommodation on the other hand...

vCash
    But, but, there have been so many events in Ontario!

A marathon in late October in Detroit?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast