Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    vCash
    I just canceled my reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn on Gratiot Ave. in downtown Detroit if anyone is still looking for a hotel.

vCash
    Does anyone know if Joe Louis Arena has wi-fi?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azcalder View Post
    Sorry for the duplicate post.....Sylvia, can you remove mine. Thanks. Anne
    I have no admin. powers here on FSU - I'm just a regular poster like you.

Link to the list of FSU Admins: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showgroups.php?s=
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    As a Detroiter, I would recommend hotel wise staying in cities like Dearborn, 4 start hotels in Southfield. Troy, Farmington Hills, Novi or Livonia. These cities are ranked probably in the order of closest to furthest. Southfield, depending on which freeway you take is the closest suburb and actually first suburb you reach from Detroit. I would recommend 4star or higher here. The other cities are more mass afluent so if funds are low ( I would say that a hotel in the $80.00 and up range is reasonable) those cities are closest.
    Thanks for the excellent city information. I haven't begun looking for a hotel yet since I recently decided to attend, but I'll be driving so I have a little more flexibility than some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    As a Detroiter, I would recommend hotel wise staying in cities like Dearborn, 4 start hotels in Southfield. Troy, Farmington Hills, Novi or Livonia. These cities are ranked probably in the order of closest to furthest. Southfield, depending on which freeway you take is the closest suburb and actually first suburb you reach from Detroit. I would recommend 4star or higher here. The other cities are more mass afluent so if funds are low ( I would say that a hotel in the $80.00 and up range is reasonable) those cities are closest. Keep in mind that unlike other cities, we are the motor city so our freeways and streets are with driving in mind. A person living in the cities listed dont think much of a 20-25 minute drive, all freeway to downtown. Thats just what I would do.

If anyone wants me to tell you the landscape of where you are considering staying, inbox me and I will be happy too. Personally, when I travel, accomodations are NOT what I want to be worried about. Cities like Chicago or New York or even Philly that have strong public transportation are quite different than Detroit. You really need a car to get around unless you are LITERALLY downtown. Also Downtown Detroit cant really be compared to the other cities listed.

Anyway, I would want anyone coming here to enjoy themselves and be safe and not sorry. Let me know if i can help.
    Thank you for the information. I've booked a hotel around Allen Park, does it sounds good choice for you?
    I am concerning the parking around Joe Louis Arena. The website says "Disabled parking spots are located in the Joe Louis Arena parking garage and in our Riverfront Executive Lot." Do we have to find other public parking around the arena? What we could have options for the parking? I am worried about the security of the other parking near the arena in night time.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I stayed at the double tree hilton - right down town a few blocks from the Arena and they have secure parking onsite and its just a 5 min walk to the arena - I was there last year and was great, I felt very comfortable walking around in that area - we even took the people mover thing to Greek Town which is awesome (have also stayed at that hotel which is great too).. I'm Canadian - and I feel safer in Detroit than I do in Niagara Falls New York!
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Question about the downtown area near the arena - are there restaurants open on Sundays for lunch, and do you think it will be mass chaos trying to find a place to eat with the marathon going on? I didn't want to go downtown until the afternoon, but the USFSA scheduled the FOFS breakfast that morning at the arena, and I'm thinking I won't be able to get back out once I park because of the marathon.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    I'm trying to decide between the new crowne plaza and the marriott renaissance center hotels. Thoughts?
    Also anyone know how much taxi from airport to downtown is? Is it better to do super shuttle if avail?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    No Super Shuttle. The taxi is about $60/$65.

vCash
    We are staying 20 minutes out of town with friends, and will need to park every morning. I hope there is going to be something available, reasonably close and at a decent price.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    There's a huge parking structure right next to the Joe. If that is full of racers, there's plenty of other parking nearby people mover stations.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Anyone heard if there will be a daily parking pass at the Joe? Or will we have to pay if we go in and out for practice and then the events?

vCash
    I get in at 1pm on Friday and would love to share the cost of a cab from the airport to downtown, rather than paying $60 alone! Please DM me if this might work for you.

vCash
    I've been reading that a marathon could cause problems with travel to Joe Louis on Sunday. Can anyone be more specific about road closures, times, etc? We'll be coming from the Doubletree in Dearborn to Joe Louis.

vCash
    The Detroit Free Press Marathon site has the course map, parking maps and road closures including info on the bridge and tunnel closures. There are actually lots of good maps of downtown on that site!

The Ambassador Bridge will have restricted traffic from the hours of 5:30 AM to 9:15 AM.
    The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel will close between the hours of 6:45 AM to 10:00 AM.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    There will be a home Detroit Lions game on Sunday as well, so keep that in mind also. Luckily the Tigers will be playing in Boston if that baseball playoff goes seven games.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Hopefully those of you who haven't gotten their tickets yet have either heard from Ticketmaster or received them by now. We received our lanyards on Thursday this past week. They're pretty cool! We're staying in a hotel just outside the downtown area and will be driving into the city every day too so I really appreciate the maps, information, and parking tips from you guys! I'm super excited that this event is less than a week away now!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    OK I just got off the phone with one of my crazy friends... Yes, folks it's Sunday, event starts Friday and she's decided she wants to go (And she thinks I am her Travel Agent, I should charge LOL!)

So after spending some time playing with her schedule, flight options etc she is now leaning towards just going for Saturday (fly up Friday night stay at airport hotel , somehow get into city Saturday, back to airport hotel to sleep and fly home early Sunday) Reading this thread it looks like her only two realistic options for transport into the city are (A) rent a car and (B) taxi. Has anyone found any other options? (City bus jus looked iffy after the event ends) She's not real keen on the rental car idea but if a taxi is $60 bucks each way that may be best option....

vCash
    Just booked my flight! Whew.
    Is anyone getting in on Friday morning interested in splitting cab fare? I'm getting in around 8 a.m. but would be willing to wait around a few hours. I also haven't booked a hotel yet so I could try and get the same/nearby hotel to make things more convenient.
    Thanks!

vCash
    OK update for my friend... Anyone know anything about the Marriott Courtyard Detroit Downtown, 333 East Jefferson Ave

Looks like it is close to the people mover? Any thoughts from those of you who know something about the area?

Thanks!

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast