Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

vCash
    Anyone have more up to date info on the event schedule? The website just has general times.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Anyone have more up to date info on the event schedule? The website just has general times.
    The ISU doesn't usually publish the color-coded detailed practice/event schedule until a few weeks before the event.

I noticed they switched the pairs and men's events around from the original event schedule posted on the website.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Has anyone received their tickets yet? If I remember correctly they were supposed to be mailed out within a couple of weeks but I haven't received mine yet.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Has anyone received their tickets yet? If I remember correctly they were supposed to be mailed out within a couple of weeks but I haven't received mine yet.
    I haven't received mine yet.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Me neither.

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    the website says that tickets will be shipped in August.
    http://www.2013skateamerica.com/tickets/

vCash
    I just completed the application to volunteer. I hope I get picked!
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    Now that Detroit files largest municipal bankruptcy in US history, how will it affect SA?

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Bankruptcy hearings are not quick procedures. I would not expect it to affect SA in any notable way unless the city stops paying all their employees.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Can somebody familiar with the current state of downtown Detroit give us practical and constructive advice on the area?
    I have been in DC area for decades and know which areas in the city to avoid
    and what things you should not do (BTW DC has become much safer during the last decade).
    What about Detroit?

- Which areas in downtown you should avoid, during night or all day?

- If you get a hotel in downtown, which areas (blocks) do you recommend?

- Can you find cabs easily on the street?

I know it is important to use your common sense,
    but this is the possibly the last season for some of prominent Japanese skaters who will compete at Skate America,
    and quite a few fans from Japan are coming to see them in Detroit.
    Tokyo is an area you can walk around mostly safely past midnight.
    Sensitivity to security can be different from your experience.
    So your advice on the above will be greatly appreciated!

vCash
    Has anyone been to the Anchor Bar? What do you think?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Now that Detroit files largest municipal bankruptcy in US history, how will it affect SA?
    It shouldn't, at least in the near future. The Red Wings have a lease on it until 2014. After that? Who knows. It's a pretty old building and the Wings were planning on building something new as it is. JLA is sitting on some pretty prime downtown skyline real estate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Can somebody familiar with the current state of downtown Detroit give us practical and constructive advice on the area?
    and what things you should not do (BTW DC has become much safer during the last decade).
    What about Detroit?
    I don't have much information on Detroit. But here is my impression of the Metropolitan Detroit from a few years back. I hope at least my post can bump back this thread again.

I visited there to see an ice show at the Detroit Skating Club. I took an Amtrak from Chicago to Detroit, then rented a car to visit Bloomfield Hills (where the skating club was) and Ann Arbor (University of Michigan). I also walked around the riverfront area opposite to Windsor, Canada.

1) The downtown business sector was clean but small. On the riverfront, I saw just a handful of tourists even though it was June.
    2) Outside the business sector, the city of Detroit did not look vibrant. No wonder they are worried about safety.
    3) I don't have information on Midtown of Detroit.
    4) The Amtrak station was very small, located in a rather vacant area. I was a little bit worried when I arrived, but nothing happened.
    5) Bloomfield Hills was a typical suburb area. After the show, I stayed at a hotel in that area for the night.
    6) Ann Arbor, the university city, was beautiful.
    7) Due to security reasons, I could not take a photo of the Ambassador bridge, which connects Detroit to Windsor, Canada.

vCash
    For those who were interested in staying at the downtown Crowne Plaza, it is now open.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ns-in-detroit#

Yuki, for Japanese visitors, I would recommend staying at a downtown hotel with close access to the People Mover since probably they will not be too interested in getting rental cars. You might check the Trip Advisor website for specific hotel information and tips.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Given the bankruptcy declaration, be extra leery of relying on public transit, what there was to begin with. But getting to and from Metro Airport should not be difficult as it's a HUGE airport, not a really long drive, and there are lots of limo and shuttles to various hotels.

If you do have a car, Ann Arbor is something of a haul but nice, and Dearborn is right across the city limit (south on the Southfield) and there's Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (aka "The Henry Ford") and a really good district of middle eastern restaurants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateSand View Post
    For those who were interested in staying at the downtown Crowne Plaza, it is now open.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ns-in-detroit#
    Thanks!

vCash
    Thank you so much, seamb7!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    What about Detroit?

- Which areas in downtown you should avoid, during night or all day?

- If you get a hotel in downtown, which areas (blocks) do you recommend?

- Can you find cabs easily on the street?

I know it is important to use your common sense,
    but this is the possibly the last season for some of prominent Japanese skaters who will compete at Skate America,
    and quite a few fans from Japan are coming to see them in Detroit.
    Tokyo is an area you can walk around mostly safely past midnight.
    Sensitivity to security can be different from your experience.
    So your advice on the above will be greatly appreciated!
    I've lived in suburban Detroit all my life and my husband has worked downtown for the last 12 years. I asked him your questions since he's there every day and this is his response.

Between the people in town for Skate America and for the Free Press Marathon, the downtown area will be busier than normal which is a good thing for safety. During the day anywhere on the Woodward corridor from Comerica Park (Tigers) and Ford Field (Lions) towards the river is safe. At night, unless there is a game in either stadium I would avoid the area.

Evening areas that are fairly safe downtown are Greek Town, Campus Martius (Hard Rock Cafe area), and the Ren Cen (GM Headquarters, tall round buildings). There is a River Walk from Joe Louis Arena all the way to the bridge to Bell Isle. Parts of the River Walk near Bell Isle aren't developed yet. There are security monitors and emergency call boxes every 500 feet. They are monitored by security staff. The River Walk is safe during the day and in the evening about a 1/2 mile each direction. Although Detroit has come a long way I would avoid any other areas at night unless you are venturing into the suburbs.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me any specific questions and I'll ask him.
    When you change the way you look at things, everything you look at changes.

vCash
    Thank you, Ska8fun!
    This is very detailed and helpful advise!

vCash
    Has anyone been able to book a hotel room through the official event web site's portal? The link does not work.

I guess the link doesn't work because all the nearby Hilton hotels are booked up.

Does anyone know whether it's convenient to stay on the Canadian side of the river and taxi back and forth? (If anyone's staying close to the arena and can put up with a female roommate please PM me.) Thanks!
    Last edited by Jun Y; 07-24-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast