vCash

Skate Canada president Lavoie to step down, seeking more active role in ISU

Benoît Lavoie announced that he won't run for Skate Canada president again but wants to play a more active role in the ISU:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

I think this is good news for the ISU.

vCash
    I think it's very good news for the ISU. Benoit is an intelligent man and has deep knowledge of the sport. I'm sure the naysayers will decry his ambition, citing his role (some people see in everything) in the 2002 Olympic pairs debacle, but I think we could do far worse for people to get involved at that level.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Excellent news for the ISU!

vCash
    Good news for the ISU, bad news for Skate Canada. Benoit Lavoie is an excellent president who has moved SC along and supported the athletes. He always gets a great round of applause from an appreciative Canadian audience.

vCash
    There is one thing I didnt like - the GPF in Quebec City - the location was awful.

vCash
    I hope Lavoie can make some serious change in the ISU, unlike yes man $peedy stooge David Dore the other Skate Canada president who went there.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    David Dore was looking a little frail at worlds .. of course, I haven't seen him in person for a long time so maybe it's just age catching up to him.

vCash
    That sounds hopeful... I wish him the best! Figure Skating needs better men!
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahashi Road to Sochi

vCash
    This is good news for the sport world-wide. There has been a growing disconnect between the ISU and the participants. A factor in that disconnect is age. Almost all the ISU council members were born around World War II. The athletes range from about 14 (juniors) to a max 30 (seniors) - or born from the mid 1980s onwards. With Lavoie in a driving position the ISU could become an athlete focused organisation, which I don't believe it currently is.

vCash
    Count me in as another who thinks this is a step in the right direction for the ISU, hopefully Benoit will become president in 2016 when Speedy finally gets off his @$$ and leaves his post like he should have years ago. Benoit is a good man and has been a good president, but I do think Skate Canada is in need of a bit of an overhaul. That being said, I wonder who will take his place? Slipchuk seems like the most obvious contender but I'm not sure he'd be the best fit. I'm not sure if there is someone from outside who can come in and run it like a business? Or if they would prefer to keep it internal, but the only one I can think of is Slipper.
    Kyle

vCash
    President is different than CEO. President is elected by the members at the AGM, while the CEO is appointed (and that position is still vacant -- do I remember correctly that it was recently advertised?). There are some talented, relatively young people on the current Board of Directors and I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them elected as President in June. Slipchuk is certainly a possibility, I suppose, but he does well with being in charge of the high performance part of Skate Canada. It will be interesting to see who ends up at the helm of SC, AND where Lavoie ends up in the next few years!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Great news for the ISU. Benoit is very smart, very capable, and very athlete-focused.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    There is one thing I didnt like - the GPF in Quebec City - the location was awful.
    It was originally planned for another arena, but there was a schedule conflict and we got the meh rink with the outdoor Port-o-Sans in December.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Ah, my apologies for the mix-up on President and CEO. Either way, I hope they can fill both positions and have whoever is filled to do them effectively. I am glad they were able to work out the sponsorship with Canadian Tire, I've been critical in the past with the organization with them hiring former skates to run the business end of it without having real experience to be successful. While it's good they've secured that nationals sponsorship, Skate Canada (the competition) is STILL without a title sponsor at this point unless they decide to add the Mark's Work Wearhouse as the title sponsor for that, which if they do, good for them, it's highly needed. If they don't then I believe that outside resources will need to be used, with real experience so that they can make up for the mistakes that have been made in the past.
    Kyle

vCash
    Good for him. He's done a good job managing a very talented Canadian team the past few years, and I'm sure that knowledge will serve the sport well. I wonder who will take his place in Skate Canada?