Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Eladola - Going to your new rink is the best starting point. Just see how it goes from there.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Keep in mind, if the federation can use you as an official, it will probably be mostly at lower levels. Especially if you were going to be judging, you would need to be very familiar with the skill levels of beginning and intermediate skaters, not elites. Go get familiar with the skating at your local rink, and start doing it yourself if you can.

If you do spend time in North America for school and will be located in an area with one or more active figure skating clubs, that would be a great opportunity to get more involved than might be available near you in Israel. In the US you could do some trial judging (it seems Canada doesn't accept nonskaters as judge candidates).

Are you good at the technical aspects of audio production?

Could you be the person who volunteers to play the music at tests and competitions? That's a good way to make yourself useful and spend time at ice level in front of the skating.

Could you take a long recording, or several different recordings, and edit down to a coherent 1- to 4-minute program? If so you could probably be useful to coaches who don't have those technical skills. But they may have strong ideas about exactly which sections of music to use, for how many seconds, to meet the aerobic needs of their skaters. Some may welcome your advice if you know more about music than they do, some may not -- depends on their individual personalities and insecurities.

Again, remember, most of the skaters you'd encounter will be kids doing single and bad double jumps. It won't be glamourous. Spend time at the rink and find out whether you love skating at that level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Are you good at the technical aspects of audio production?

Could you be the person who volunteers to play the music at tests and competitions? That's a good way to make yourself useful and spend time at ice level in front of the skating.

Could you take a long recording, or several different recordings, and edit down to a coherent 1- to 4-minute program? If so you could probably be useful to coaches who don't have those technical skills. But they may have strong ideas about exactly which sections of music to use, for how many seconds, to meet the aerobic needs of their skaters. Some may welcome your advice if you know more about music than they do, some may not -- depends on their individual personalities and insecurities.

Again, remember, most of the skaters you'd encounter will be kids doing single and bad double jumps. It won't be glamourous. Spend time at the rink and find out whether you love skating at that level.
    I make Mashups, So you could say that's my expertise

And i didn't know they had volunteers play the music, I'll definetly volunteer for that !!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Again, just to be clear--you won't be judging elites. Not any time soon. You wouldn't be judging anything at all for a very long time and then it will be, as gkelly said, kids doing singles. Go to a club (local, or when you get to the US/Canada) and volunteer to help *doing anything you can*. That may (using US clubs as my experience base) be things like taking tickets at the club ice show and getting doughnuts and coffee for the judges' room at a test session. Skating runs on volunteers doing the boring, unglamorous stuff.

vCash
    I agree with the suggestions to find your closest figure skating club and volunteer. I would also suggest taking some beginning figure skating classes and getting to know the coaches at the rink. Then you can bring up the fact that you do music edits and offer to do the first one for free. I charge $40, which I think is pretty standard here in the U.S.

vCash
    In the UK, you have to pass certain level of skating. I think it is NISA level 6, but I am not sure if that means all level six tests (such as for freeskating: field moves, elements and program, and for dance: pattern dance, free dance and field moves), or if any L6 test will do (for example just field moves and not the elements and program...)

vCash
    Every ISU Member Federation has their own proceedure for the training and appointment of judges. You should contact your Federation and request help from them.

Here are the contacts for your Federation:

Address: P.O. Box 3533

Holon 58135

Telefax: (+972) 3 504 97 42
    Telephone: (+972) 3 504 97 46
    Email: info@iisf.org.il

Webpage: http://www.iisf.org.il/
    President: Chait Boris, Mr
    General Secretary: Hasday Carol, Mrs
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    In the UK, you have to pass certain level of skating. I think it is NISA level 6, but I am not sure if that means all level six tests (such as for freeskating: field moves, elements and program, and for dance: pattern dance, free dance and field moves), or if any L6 test will do (for example just field moves and not the elements and program...)
    It's all parts of level 6 in the chosen discipline - so field moves, elements and free, or field moves, pattern dance, original dance and free dance. (Not sure how much longer the original dance test will continue to exist, though.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12