View Poll Results: Which of these 10 was the best never to win an Olympic medal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tiffany Chin

5 5.10%
  • Surya Bonaly

11 11.22%
  • Jill Trenary

4 4.08%
  • Marval and Urbanski

1 1.02%
  • Meno and Sand

4 4.08%
  • Christopher Bowman

22 22.45%
  • Elaine Zayak

7 7.14%
  • Nicole Bobek

7 7.14%
  • Rudy Galindo

6 6.12%
  • Tonya Harding

31 31.63%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Yuka Sato.. I keep wondering how she would have done under the new judging system, especially her skating skills.
    10 !

The program she showed at 1994 Pre-Olympic event (December 1993) was fantastic in term of choreo, transitions...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Shishkova / Naumova never won a medal. They would have been my 2nd choice in pairs close behind P/T. IMO they were robbed of a medal as judges didn't like a Russian sweep in pairs and therefore decided to give it to Brasseur / Eisler.
    Yeah - they had such beautiful side by side spins! And they always looked so elegant with nice lines.

vCash
    As much as I loved the G&G vs M&D pairs competition at the 1994 Olympics, it was rotten luck for S&N. Without the pros being allowed that year (just one time!), S&N could have been co-favorites for the OGM. Shishkova had beautiful pointed toes and positions in her lifts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    As much as I loved the G&G vs M&D pairs competition at the 1994 Olympics, it was rotten luck for S&N. Without the pros being allowed that year (just one time!), S&N could have been co-favorites for the OGM. Shishkova had beautiful pointed toes and positions in her lifts.
    Interestingly, had there not been re-instatements in 1994, one of the other choices from the poll (Meno and Sand) would have also been Olympic medallists in addition with Shishkova/Naumov.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Hmmm, this list is full of US bias. Apparently, Kurt Browning, Sasha Abt, Maria Butyrskaya, Yuka Sato, Kovarikova & Novotny, and Fumie Suguri, all Olympic medal worthy skaters, are not US skaters, but Surya Bonaly is.

A poll that asks me to choose between Bobek and Bowman is just not fair.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-26-2013 at 04:10 AM.

vCash
    From this list, I picked Meno/Sand. They had gorgeous programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Interestingly, had there not been re-instatements in 1994, one of the other choices from the poll (Meno and Sand) would have also been Olympic medallists in addition with Shishkova/Naumov.
    I highly doubt Meno & Sand were medalling in 94 without the pros. First off two of the top teams (Kovarikova & Novotny and Woetzel & Steuer) seemed to give up once the pros came back and all but tanked the season. W&S I think were having their own set of problems that year anyway, so probably wouldnt have mattered, but somehow I dont see K&N who barely lost to M&S with a horrible performance losing to them if a medal was on the line. Furthermore Eltsova & Bushkov would have been at the Games and they most likely would have beaten Meno & Sand as well. A year later at Worlds these same 5 teams (minus the 3 Lillehammer medalists, all retired) were at Worlds and Meno & Sand with vastly improved artistry and their best performances ever barely won the bronze, but would have been 5th had it not been for a meltdown by Woetzel & Steuer in the LP, and the ordinals falling just barely right with Eltsova & Bushkov (who also had a subpar performance) finishing just barely between the two in the LP to flip it all around and move M&S from 5th to 3rd overall. So somehow in a field with those teams plus Brassuer & Eisler, I definitely dont see a medal for Meno & Sand.

Their medal chance (if ever) was definitely 1998.

vCash
    Yes, where is Kurt? I want to vote for him..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Meno & Sand always seemed to buckle under pressure, so I am not sure they would have won the bronze (assuming B&E and S&N in any order would have won gold & silver). At the 1994 they had no pressure, due to the return of the pros, so they could perform well. They were a relatively new pair, having paired up AFTER the 1992 Olympics, and there were other relatively new pairs who had an equal shot at the bronze.

Based on the results of the 1994 Olympics though, you are correct that their 5th place finish would have been a 3rd place finish.

vCash
    Honestly I am pretty sure without the reinstated pros that Meno & Sand would have finished 5th behind (in no particular order) Brasseur & Eisler, Shishkova & Naumov, Kovarikova & Novotny, and Eltsova & Bushkov (who werent even at the Games due to the pros, and who almost always beat M&S around then). I dont think they would have done any better than they did. If a time clock could be invented to see what would have happened, and they ended up winning the bronze without the pros, I would be slightly amazed. BTW yes I know they beat K&N at the Games but they skated in the same flight, while without the pros K&N would be in the final flight after the short and M&S still not most likely, and there is no guarantee K&N skate as poorly or M&S as well; it is a whole new mentality for alot of pairs without the pros. As I already mentioned a good barometer is the 95 Worlds where they barely won bronze, but looked all along like they were going to finish 5th at the 95 Worlds (had one more judge put E&B either 3rd or 5th instead of 4th they would have been 5th overall even with yet another meltdown by Woetzel & Steuer in the LP), and that was as a much improved pair with their best performances ever, and with essentialy the same field as it would have been minus Brasseur & Eisler who are an automatic spot down for M&S of course. Another barometer is the post Olympic Worlds where they faced the field they would have in Lillehammer without the pros and they finished only 6th, with some 7th and 8th place votes. They didnt skate as well as the Olympics, but like has been mentioned, different situation, different mentality.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 03-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.

vCash
    there's a lot of people missing in the list: Browning, Eldredge, Dob/ Van, Del/Schoen...
    but all of the people form the list are American except Surya (though she's half American by now)

vCash
    For fun sometime I make my own list of the top 100 to never win an Olympic medal across all disciplines and see where some of these fall. I wonder how many would even make a more realistic top 10, 2 or 3 perhaps at most. I am pretty sure Urbanski & Marvel wouldnt make my top 100 though, lol! The whole article must be a joke to have even included them, everytime I think of it and them being in such a list I cant stop laughing. I actually would have been mortified if skaters such as that did actually win an Olympic medal, and I would have hated to see the event as bombs would have been dropping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    there's a lot of people missing in the list: Browning, Eldredge, Dob/ Van, Del/Schoen...
    but all of the people form the list are American except Surya (though she's half American by now)

I would like to throw the perennial Canadian Nationals skater into the mix ---> Josee Chouinard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123