View Poll Results: Which of these 10 was the best never to win an Olympic medal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tiffany Chin

5 5.10%
  • Surya Bonaly

11 11.22%
  • Jill Trenary

4 4.08%
  • Marval and Urbanski

1 1.02%
  • Meno and Sand

4 4.08%
  • Christopher Bowman

22 22.45%
  • Elaine Zayak

7 7.14%
  • Nicole Bobek

7 7.14%
  • Rudy Galindo

6 6.12%
  • Tonya Harding

31 31.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Which of these 10 was the best never to win an Olympic medal?

Here is an article entitled 'The 10 Greatest Figure Skaters Who Never Won an Olympic Medal'. It reads:-

Recently, Kathy Hovencamp and Sarah Marshall got to talking about figure skating, and the Greats that time forgot. Kathy is a former competitive figure skater, Sarah is a repository of knowledge for all things skating-related, and together they've compiled a handy list of the most underrated skaters of the last 30 years. It’s the list you never knew you needed.
    Well, there you a go - a list you never knew you needed!

The 10 skater(s) listed in the article may or may not be the '10 greatest figure skaters who never won an Olympic medal', but which was the best amongst them never to win an Olympic medal?

And which skaters do think the article missed out who should have been on the list?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.

vCash
    A list that has Surya Bonaly but not Kurt Browning is meaningless.

vCash
    None on this list?

For me my top vote in each discipline would go to:

Paris: Petrova/Tikhonov
    Dance: Denkova/Staviski
    Men: Kurt Browning
    Ladies: Maria Butyrskaya (my first thought was Caro, but she will have another Chance in Sochi )

vCash
    Kurt Browning

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    A list that has Surya Bonaly but not Kurt Browning is meaningless.
    I agree, but honestly, Surya has been really close to the podium twice (5th and 4th). So, probably the closest to win an olympic medal but never did it, lol
    From the list, I'd say Tonya Harding.

vCash
    Rahkamo & Kokko

vCash
    Not sure about best in each discipline to not have won an Olympic Medal, but I loved Shishkova and Naumov, and they never won a medal, right?
    Joubert as well.

And defnitely Denkova and Staviski

vCash
    Kurt Browning is the first name that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread.
    As far as the names listed are concerned, I love Surya's skating, but I'm probably going to have to go with Tonya Harding (late 80s through 1992 era) and Tiffany Chin for the greatest skaters who never placed at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Not sure about best in each discipline to not have won an Olympic Medal, but I loved Shishkova and Naumov, and they never won a medal, right?
    Joubert as well.

And defnitely Denkova and Staviski
    You're right, Sishkova & Naumov placed 4th in 1994 (I believe, although I'm not certain, they narrowly lost the bronze medal to B&E on a 5/4 split...). They placed 5th in 1992. They were a wonderful team, their interpretation of "Take Five" - their SP in 1991-1992 is one of my all time favorite SPs.

For dance, besides R&K and D&S I would also include Delobel & Schoenfelder as well.

vCash
    I already had the answer before I read the list: Kurt Browning.

vCash
    There have been so many skaters I wished had medaled and who really were worthy of an Olympic medal, but that's what makes it so special, only a selected few make it at the right time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Shishkova / Naumova never won a medal. They would have been my 2nd choice in pairs close behind P/T. IMO they were robbed of a medal as judges didn't like a Russian sweep in pairs and therefore decided to give it to Brasseur / Eisler.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Among these, Elaine Zayak performed well enough at the Olympics for a medal.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Elaine Zayak 1984 Olympics short program

Elaine Zayak Sarajevo 1984 Olympics LP

Ummm . . . In retrospect, her 6th place finish is a bit shocking considering she was a former World Champion that performed well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    Kurt Browning
    Yes

vCash
    From this list, I'd have to pick Chris Bowman...his skating was creamy...

vCash
    I too picked Bowman, although I also thought it could be Harding. Bowman had all the talent in the world to even become an Olympic champion, if he could just land the 3A, and more important did not have the off ice problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I too picked Bowman, although I also thought it could be Harding. Bowman had all the talent in the world to even become an Olympic champion, if he could just land the 3A, and more important did not have the off ice problems.
    Had he gotten a handle on those off-ice problems, I think he would have taken care of his triple Axel. I found his presence on the ice so compelling - he commanded attention, even when he didn't skate his best.

vCash
    Best and most talented are two totally different things. For me when it comes to best I would go with either Chin or Harding as they were the only two who could have been an Olympic Champion, not just medalist (based on ability at a given time, not merely potential or talent had they worked harder). Had Harding skated like she did at 91 Skate America or the 91 U.S Nationals she WOULD (not could, would) have won the 92 Olympics given how Yamaguchi and Ito both skated. The judges may have preferred one of those two all things equal, as she was never a favorite of theirs really, but they would have no choice in this instance. Chin probably would have won the 84 Olympics if compulsory figures had been removed in say 1982 instead of 1990. She was really the best free skater at those Games.

Bonaly had a chance at the bronze (with maybe an outside shot at gold or silver) at the 94 Games, and also a shot at the bronze at the 92 Games due to all the mistakes that Kerrigan, Harding, and others had, but couldnt capatilize. Trenary never had an Olympic medal shot IMO. Marvel & Urbanski never had an Olympic medal shot for sure. Meno & Sand could have medalled at the 98 Games had they skated their best given the caliber of skating at the event, but were nowhere close. Bowman could have medalled at the 92 Games given the caliber of skating at the event, and one missed element in the short program might have cost him a medal (although he skated extremely well in the long, just one fall, and was placed a very distant 4th in the long program phase from the 2nd last flight). Zayak was not given a chance by the judges for a medal, and like Chin was buried out of any hope in figures, and unlike Chin was not even viewed by judges as a top free skater anymore, although IMO she clearly was. Bobek was a contender for bronze in 1998 and bombed badly. Galindo was never an Olympic medal contender.

vCash
    A fully developed Yamaguchi and Galindo could have been an Olympic medal contender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast