Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Was Nancy Kerrigan "Tone Deaf"?

Disclaimer - big Nancy fan....
    However, I think her MUSIC CHOICE cost her dearly in 1994. Had she done something slightly more... sophisticated? it would have made the difference.... a tenth of a point by one judge.

I forgot about this performance where she was forced to skate to Nessun Dorma...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEwpL7Wzb2U

Her reaction is MIND BOGGLING. This was wonderful even though she hated it. The female commentator is ready to jump through the glass at her lol.

and then this in 2000....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbXzB5KEJJo

These types of music choices would have served her well. They would have HELPED her.

Maybe tone deaf is overly complicated... maybe just bad taste in music?

I did love Born on the 4th of July and did love her SP's at the time.

Thanks to whoever posted those vids... really enjoyed them.

vCash
    I hate it when people call other people tone deaf.

Very few people in the word are actually, literally tone deaf. A person who is actually, truly tone deaf wouldn't be able to differentiate between his mother and father's voices. They literally cannot tell different tones apart, period.

There are many people who don't have a good ear. Not having a good ear is totally different from taste in music. I know some people who have fabulous aural skills and, IMO, terrible taste in music.

These things are not really related.

vCash
    Thank you, michiruwater! While I'm sure foxboston didn't mean any harm by it, I agree with you about the tone deaf issue. I am an elementary music educator, and I feel that more than being tone deaf, people labeled so simply never learned how to use the right part of their instrument (their voice) correctly. That is why it is so important for me to get all my students using their head voices at a young age, as there is a much better chance of them matching pitch. Belting is not only bad for young vocal chords, but also bad technique for matching pitch. Kids with higher music aptitude might be able to match pitch no matter what kind of vocal technique, but those with lower aptitude should learn to sing with their head voices as young as possible.

I once heard that less than 1% of the population is legitimately tone deaf. Not sure how accurate that is, but I definitely believe it!

vCash
    I agree - saying she was tone deaf is totally incorrect. I think of tone deaf as being more about having a lack of intonation. Such as singing or playing a violin out of tune. For example, you listen to a note, try to sing it and you sing it off key.

However I don't know why you are singling her out. There are plenty of skaters, including top ones that you could criticise about music selections. And musical taste is subjective.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    This Thread is so random,

In more then one way

vCash
    Yep, Eladola, you're right... and I'm gladly one reason why.

: Goes off to another forum to push sekret music education agenda. :

vCash
    Should this be in The Trash Can forum instead?

vCash
    Okay - I'll rephrase: would different music have made the difference?

Not random - stumbled on the youtube clips, I think people have been called worse than "tone deaf".

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foxboston View Post
    Disclaimer - big Nancy fan....
    However, I think her MUSIC CHOICE cost her dearly in 1994. Had she done something slightly more... sophisticated? it would have made the difference.... a tenth of a point by one judge.
    Riiiiiiight, because skating to the childish "Anastasia" and "The Rainbow" REALLY HURT Tara Lipinski in Nagano. I think Baiul had more charisma and freedom of body movement than Kerrigan though, who has been criticized for appearing stiff and wooden in her movement and interpretation.

vCash
    Anastasia is awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by foxboston View Post
    Okay - I'll rephrase: would different music have made the difference?

Not random - stumbled on the youtube clips, I think people have been called worse than "tone deaf".
    Sorry didn't mean to be offensive,

I just say "random" because it's

1) out of the blue
    2) even in the past was never an issue
    3) probably a matter of taste, i bet a lot of people disagree with a lot of skaters musical choices, Why her ?

That's without mentioning that being Tone deaf has nothing to do with this

vCash
    Because the OP particularly did not like Nancy's musical choices, I guess.

But yes, a lot of skaters make, IMO, bad choices. Look at Adelina this season It's odd to single out Kerrigan.

Watch me move
    vCash
    IIRC she didn't choose her music. Mary and Evy Scotvold, her coaches, chose it for her.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    IIRC she didn't choose her music. Mary and Evy Scotvold, her coaches, chose it for her.
    Wouldn't that be the case with most skaters? That they select music along with their coaches and choreographers with the intent of a creating a certain type of program?

Liking something and finding something appropriate for performance are two different things.

I don't think music choice has much of anything to do with the way judges look at a program. Most of them are no more educated about music than most of us are. I would bet that for most of them, the music is pretty much in the background.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    This thread title cracked me up.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i've been harboring a secret theory that the scotvolds hated her based on her music and choreo
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Wouldn't that be the case with most skaters? That they select music along with their coaches and choreographers with the intent of a creating a certain type of program?

Liking something and finding something appropriate for performance are two different things.

I don't think music choice has much of anything to do with the way judges look at a program. Most of them are no more educated about music than most of us are. I would bet that for most of them, the music is pretty much in the background.
    The first post in the thread is asking about "her MUSIC CHOICES", and I was pointing out that Nancy herself may have not had much to do with what music she skated to.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    The first post in the thread is asking about "her MUSIC CHOICES", and I was pointing out that Nancy herself may have not had much to do with what music she skated to.
    Yes, That toot , Another example for how deluded this is ...

But yes, a lot of skaters make, IMO, bad choices. Look at Adelina this season It's odd to single out Kerrigan.
    My brain was too busy thinking who the hell would make an edit like that,
    That it was too occupied to stop my ears from bleeding

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    She was tone deaf, rhythmically challenged, and just so awkward to look at. I think what hurt her more than her undeniable lack of rhythm and musicality was that she just had such horrible overall body coordination. She never learned how to move her arms to the music (other than during those jazzercise fist pumps in 1994, serously...WTF ) and would always skate with her arms out to the sides or straight down. She also never learned how to properly transition her body from one position or movement to the next. Even the more rough around the edges skater like Bonaly, Harding, Ito , and Slutskaya were much stronger than she was in this regard. The result was that her skating took on a brutal, stiff , and jarring quality. I know one fan who compared her to Pokey the Claymation Horse from the old Gumby cartoons. She really could have benefitted from more dance training.

I will say that I think she was given the raw deal by the media at the time . I thought she had a wry, snarky off-ice persona, it's a shame it never really translated to her skating ::

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    She was tone deaf
    No, she was not tone deaf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast