vCash

Johnny Weir's thoughts on the public's consumption of pop culture

http://fcnp.com/2013/03/21/johnnys-world-crap/

What a random article (and a bit hypocritical to be honest).
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    Random, yes; article, no. It's an opinion piece in the commentary section of an online publication.

Clearly, Johnny is talking about "evaluating [his] own crap," even as he dishes on various and sundry cultural crap, particularly focused on an ubiquitous singer's crap, even as he defends his love for another singer. It's just a random opinion piece, that however self-consciously presumptuous and apparently skewed on the surface, should probably not be taken at face value. That's the mistake a lot of people make when it comes to all things Johnny.

In any case, Johnny might be better off limiting his crappy pop consumption intake in the first place (as it might be for us all). But in Johnny's own words, his "pride of indignant personal choice," probably prevents him from abstaining.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-29-2013 at 06:14 AM.

vCash
    LOL, I agree with the part of the opinion piece (I think) you're addressing, in that we should think twice about what we consume and become more informed. But in the last paragraph he adamantly states that despite his love for Christina's music, he would never buy her perfume, despite the fact that he himself hawked a clothing line and auto-tuned single

vCash
    ^^ I guess there's no accounting for taste and personal choices, particularly when bills are due to be paid.

I happen to really like many of Aguilera's songs and she definitely has a better voice than Britney, but I'm not really interested in buying anyone's designer perfume, unless I'm in the market to buy perfume for some reason and I happen to be sympatico with the scent. Anyways, simple classics are the best. Personally, I'd rather make my own before spending ridiculous sums of money on a singer's brand. Johnny doesn't say why he won't buy her perfume, but I suspect he's picky about scents, jewelry, etc., and thus probably already has brands he prefers. In any case, Johnny's refusal to specifically purchase Aguilera's eponymous brands shouldn't have any bearing on him creating and hawking his own clothing line and self-indulgent auto-tuned single.

Johnny's song was definitely self-indulgent and one listen was enough, but hey, all power to him if he had the opportunity. Why not? Everybody who gains some notoriety and has the desire and the opportunity (forget the talent) seems to take a stab at making a record, if not an entire album. Often, the same goes for all the wannabes who get to write a book or a screenplay.

As far as Johnny's clothing line, his dresses weren't bad. I like some of them, and he does have design talent, but maybe not the desire to do the hard work of actually enrolling in a design school and learning how to sew. But hey, if he doesn't have to and yet he still has the opportunity to indulge in creating and producing a few of his creative design ideas, again why not? Johnny's MAC cosmetic ad campaign was cool, btw.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-29-2013 at 07:35 AM.

vCash
    http://fcnp.com/2013/03/28/johnnys-world-the-debate/ ….” I much prefer this week's column.