Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Which skaters should keep the same LP for the 2014 Olympics?

Sometimes it works for a skater to use the same program two seasons in a row, like M&D did in 1991 & 1992. From the current skaters which skaters would you like to see the same LP for 2014?

My picks:

Mao Asada - Swan Lake: I like this music for her, and would like to see her land all her jumps including the 3A, and using her musicality. I just don't want to see her wear feathers.

Ashley Wagner- Samson & Deliala (sp?): She did well early in the season; not so later. If she wants to add a 3-3 she is better off using a program she is familiar with, and she expresses this music really well.

Hanyu (I don't think he ever skated this to its potential; he will mature and skate it much better)

Bazarova- Larionov: Spartacus. This is their best LP so far. I would like to see them work on finer points, and skate/spin closer- make them look more like a pair. With a music and program they are familiar with, they can work on other things.

Carolina Kostner: Bolero. There is room to develop this LP further.

I definitely do NOT want to see the following skaters use the same program next year:
    V&T, S&S, Takahashi (he had a bad year), Akiko, Yu na Kim (although I love Les Mis, she should try something else next year)

Sotnikova absolutely must change her LP music next year, and Liza's was not that good either (that particular version).

vCash
    Mao Asada should retain Swan Lake, and Adelina Sotnikova should definitely jettison her LP
    Last edited by Maofan7; 03-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    I hope Carolina keeps Bolero.

I actually hope Mao gets a new program. I like her swan lake, but I think she needs something more amazing for an Olympic year.

vCash
    I am kind of torn - on the one hand I would love for Carolina to keep the Bolero program; on the other hand, this will be her last season and her last chance to come up with something even more special and unique ...
    Last edited by jiggs; 03-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I definitely do NOT want to see the following skaters use the same program next year:
    V&T, S&S, Takahashi (he had a bad year), Akiko, Yu na Kim (although I love Les Mis, she should try something else next year)
    Akiko's LP was one of the best program of the season, IMO. It would be good for her to decide to keep it.
    I hope Carolina will change her LP, because she had 3 beautiful LP in a row, but Bolero is my least favorite, and I'm sure she can do another beautiful LP

Mao Asada's Swan has nothing to do with a Swan, IMO. It's nice, but really, I'm not sure she wants to personalise a Swan and she could do the same kind of nice program with another theme.

vCash
    Nobody keeps programs in ice dance, so that's one discipline that needn't be considered.

Carolina Kostner almost never recycles programs, and I don't expect her to do so for next season - why is good, because like briancoogaert, I find Bolero her weakest LP in the last few years. V/T, S/S, Dai and Yuna should all get new programs. i hope Ingo Steuer has something spectacular in the works for S/S, and even that might not be enough.

I think Patrick Chan will keep a program and I hope it'll be Elegie. Brian Joubert will likely stick with Gladiator for the LP, and I have no issue with that, it's gotten good PCS and was a mid-season change so he might as well go ahead. Kaetlyn Osmond might want to stick with her current SP, it scores well and she seems to enjoy it. I hope K/S keep their LP, which is lovely and hasn't yet been performed to its potential.

vCash
    I want to see new programs from every top skater/team.

About Caro, although many seemed to like her Bolero this season, I hope she goes for a program that showcases her skating skills even better. It looks like she’s the one who could mount a challenge on Yu-Na.

vCash
    Recycling programs for Mao would be way too 2010ish for my liking. Though she can bring back Chopin's Nocturne No.2 any time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Recycling programs for Mao would be way too 2010ish for my liking. Though she can bring back Chopin's Nocturne No.2 any time.
    Bringing back Chopin Ballade as a competitive program would be even better.

vCash
    As a general rule I think it makes sense for those skaters to keep their programmes, who had great ones but couldn't perform them well / or not at all at major events, Akiko and Hanyu come to my mind. I really liked their free programmes, but they just didn't deliver it in best possible ways.

I wish Ksenia Makarova will keep her LP - I love it, but her chances to make it to Sochi are unfortunately close to zero.

One more skater who very urgently needs to change BOTH of her programmes: Gracie Gold.

In general I hope that we will see many new programmes and that skaters won't play it safe with regards to music choices / choreo in view of the Olympics. Can't wait for the new season to start.

vCash
    I don't think ANYONE should keep the same program for the Olympic year. It's the big year in the 4 year cycle of the sport, everyone should do her utmost to come up with the very best new program, using the music she has most wanted to skate to for the last four years. I think there should be a mandatory deduction for recycling a program during the Olympic season, um, just because I want to see splashy new programs duke it out.

That said, I am simply wowed by Mao's Swan Lake. Could she and Lori just come up with something equally musical/joyous/brilliant/amazing next year?

vCash
    The only reason I want Carolina to keep Bolero is because she never did the whole thing clean!

If she had, I would have said to scrap it and start new for the Olympic season but I want to see the program done to its full potential

vCash
    Bolero grew on me, but I want Kostner to change her LP.

Anyone that essentially skated the LP to it's fullest potential needs to change it. I'd love to see Jeremy Abbott keep his LP - it was one of the finest of the year and he never skated it well. I wouldn't mind seeing Kanako's LP again, especially if she works on minimizing her under-rotations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    The only reason I want Carolina to keep Bolero is because she never did the whole thing clean!
    She came very close to clean at Italian Nationals - 6 triples, but not 3f3t: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc5CQgFC0YE
    I think she performed it much better at Worlds though, it was so intense!

vCash
    The only one I want kept is Brown's Liebestraume...another year of maturity and stronger in the technical and that could be an absolute masterpiece.

Everyone else needs new LPs (and SPs) stat.

Live in Guardian Angel
    vCash
    Kaethlyn Osmond SP. And Carolina Kostner LP to boléro!

vCash
    I think nobody should keep their old programs. It's the Olympic season, new programs for all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think nobody should keep their old programs. It's the Olympic season, new programs for all!
    I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Bringing back Chopin Ballade as a competitive program would be even better.
    Chopin really helps showcase Mao's strengths. I hope she uses Chopin for either SP or LP next year - there goes my 'keep Swan Lake' suggestion out the window

vCash
    I prefer Kostner's SP. I really would like her to keep it. It is my favorite SP this season. She's probably done the best Bolero in recent years, but that's just because nobody ever does a good Bolero (because it's a minimal piece of music, but most choreographers don't understand that and always weigh it down by overcomplicating it). The program in itself isn't all that amazing. Mao's Swan Lake is a masterpiece, but it's the kind of masterpiece that has definitely run its course.

Kanako keeping her tango would make me happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast