vCash

Milky Way Skating Ad

For those of you who haven't seen it, Milky Way, the candy bar, is running a new print ad which involves skating and touches on past judging controversies:

http://reelchicago.com/article/savor...print-ad121108

You can see the ad about halfway down the page.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I think the ad would make more sense if the scores went the other way- lots of bad ones with one perfect score from the person eating the Milky Way. They were so distracted by the gooey caramel chocolate goodness they didn't see all the falls.

As is- I don't understand. To get a 2.5 they would have need to see mistakes...

I would think most people don't put this much thought into ads, but agencies probably should.

vCash
    I think the big thing With the ad is the use of 6.0 as the judging system! It's so weird that this ad even got to print. I guess a row of twos in pcs or -3 goe would be way too many numbers! Lol. I guess i agree that if a judge was distracted it may be more likely that the mark might be more neutral than bad with 6.0 but what if the pair was usually poor? Anyway the use of 6.0 in the ad stuck out more.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    The 6.0 was done either on purpose - because it's just easier to understand in a quick commercial; or not on purpose because the producers are uneducated about skating. Who knows which it is. I take most pop culture skating references with a grain of salt anyway. They tend to be so cliche. But neat that it's in a commercial though!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    The 6.0 was done either on purpose - because it's just easier to understand in a quick commercial; or not on purpose because the producers are uneducated about skating. Who knows which it is. I take most pop culture skating references with a grain of salt anyway. They tend to be so cliche. But neat that it's in a commercial though!
    I'm sure either they didn't know IJS exists, or the ad writers knew but also knew the ad wouldn't make any sense to 99% of people likely to see it without 6.0 scores. Almost no one would understand an IJS-based joke. At least they think a skating joke will sell candy bars!

vCash
    It says a lot that a decade into the new scoring system they can still presume more familiarity with 6.0. We threw away a universally recognized name brand for... um....

And I like some things about the IJS but somehow those good things need to be recombined with 6.0 so we can get the audience back into the sport.

(Now I slink away before gkelly can start asking me questions. )

vCash
    Yay, something about skating in the media!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    We threw away a universally recognized name brand for... um....
    What's funny though- is while most people know "6.0", there are still people who will watch skating and say "that deserves a perfect 10!". I mean scoring on a scale of 6 is kind of weird.

Is gymnastics suffering as much as skating? They threw away their scoring system too. And rather than bitch about how impossible it is to understand, I recall the pre-Olympic commentators explaining how it worked. Of course, I only watch that sport every 4 years.

vCash
    WE'RE STILL RELEVANT! WE'RE STILL RELEVANT!

LOL!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Is gymnastics suffering as much as skating? They threw away their scoring system too. And rather than bitch about how impossible it is to understand, I recall the pre-Olympic commentators explaining how it worked. Of course, I only watch that sport every 4 years.
    But they kept the 0-10 scale. You can still score a "perfect 10".
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    The execution score is still out of 10 (though the deductions are so picky that no one even comes close to a 10, anything above 9.2 or so seems to be really really good), but there is a difficulty score also that is added to it so the total score is not out of 10.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So they lied when they said they kept the perfect 10 for branding purposes then.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.