Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    To those who are snarking on his commentary, I get he's got his haters when it comes to that, but considering the man's had zero training in on air commentary I actually think he's not doing *that* badly. Everyone thinks it's ohhhh sooo easy until they try it and surprise!! What's really easy to do at home? Not so much when you've got a camera on you and you're live to thousands out there judging your every word.
    I don't think he's had zero training. I would be very surprised if CBC would throw someone into a high-profile gig like that without giving them some preparation. And comparing him to someone sitting on their couch....well, he's not sitting on a couch at home, so it's not unreasonable to expect a higher standard of performance from him vs. the couch-sitter.

I think he's struggling to find a balance between being his regular casual self and being an authoritative voice, and that's a really difficult balance, even for very experienced commentators. I don't think he always succeeds, but I appreciate what he's trying to do. And I would sooner listen to him than certain other male commentators' shrieking and grunting, or rhapsodizing about the quad and Elvis.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Indeed. I would much rather listen to someone who actually knows how to skate and has experience competing and choreographing than some talking head reading from notes someone else prepared for them. I don't mind if he stumbles a bit; the value he adds is far greater than any Rod Black or Brenda whatshername contributes. And I do think Kurt has come a long way.

vCash
    Well, personally I enjoy Kurt's commentary (that which I've heard) much more than I ever have Tracy Wilson's ... (not to mention Sandra Bezic's and Scott Hamilton's).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Indeed. I would much rather listen to someone who actually knows how to skate and has experience competing and choreographing than some talking head reading from notes someone else prepared for them. I don't mind if he stumbles a bit; the value he adds is far greater than any Rod Black or Brenda whatshername contributes. And I do think Kurt has come a long way.
    I too enjoy a skater who has knowledge however, please talk about the skaters not yourself....that's all I'm saying. Gets old fast just like him lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Well, personally I enjoy Kurt's commentary (that which I've heard) much more than I ever have Tracy Wilson's ... (not to mention Sandra Bezic's and Scott Hamilton's).
    I'd trade Scott for Kurt any day and every day

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123