Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    loved Kurt's skating....supreme talent. Dislike immensely Kurt's commentating! It's NOT all about YOU Kurt. You had your time. Everything he says seems to reference himself.

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    In London, my friends and I were having lunch when Kurt joined a group of people at a nearby table.A short time later, he made his way through the restaurant and stopped at every table to chat and take pictures. He was so gracious and genuine. In conversation, I mentioned Viktor and Chris Bowman..His response re Chris Bowman.."The most natural talent that I have ever seen."
    Thanks, kwanette!
    Adding to the praise and love for Kurt, here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks, kwanette!
    Adding to the praise and love for Kurt, here.

I can also attest to positive restaurant meetings with him. I have seen him several times in restaurants and he always smiles and says hello. Chatted with him at breakfast during the SOI Canada tour stop a few years ago. I am always amazed at how tiny and smiley he is in person.

vCash
    I've had many occasions to interact with Kurt and to watch him interact with other fans, and he's a total sweetheart. Considerate, friendly, and with a great sense of self-deprecating humor. On the ice, his versatility and the fact that he continues to push himself in new creative directions, never resting on his laurels, and try new things I think sets a great example for other skaters, and provides fans with tons of wonderful skating to watch.

Also, I should point out that today is the 25th anniversary of him landing the first quad in competition, at Worlds in Budapest on March 25, 1988. Hard to believe it's been 25 years!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxpCu8wRv14

vCash
    I travelled with DASH tours to London. Kurt was the featured speaker at our opening meet n greet. We watched a video of Kurt's quad at Budapest, to celebrate the 25th anniversary. He admitted that he wasn't sure if it would be ratified because of the turnout afterwards. He spoke about the rivalry with Viktor Petrenko, who still has a lot of hair!

Kurt also brought some medals that he had won. 4 golds at least. I can't remember the other skater's name, but apparently some of Kurt's medals were originally given to that skater, and they had switched just for laughs.

Kurt stayed for a long time signing jackets, autographs, having photos taken. The crowd to see him and the medals was enormous. As always, Kurt was funny, kind, and patient. Like the rest of us, he couldn't believe it had been 25 years.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Agree 100% - great athlete, great entertainer, great ambassador for the sport.

Also thought this would be a good place to throw in a word for his wife, Sonia Rodriguez. If you ever get the chance to see one of her exquisite performances with the National Ballet, go! What Kurt can do on blades, she can do en pointe.

vCash
    Really nice message from Kurt on his official FB:

Hi to everyone who sent an electronic hello, hug, shout out, congrats or some sort of combination of all. I have been on vacation which included not really checking emails but I just saw and read your notes about the quarter century mark of the quad. What a fuss for less than a second but seconds do change our lives I suppose.

I have been off for over a week and in the sun burning my hairless head, yes 25 years has taken care of that, and your kind words are inspiration to get back to work when I get home. To have anybody ever say to you that they think you are the very best at anything at all is rare but to have so many of you stay with me on my skating journey is truly humbling and simply amazing.

Thank You for all your support along the way and now as well.

Kurt
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...d=217099960482

vCash
    What a beautiful message from a great guy!

vCash
    KB is a class act.
    Back in the day, I thought the 92 olys would be so interesting and I was looking forward to the battle of the B's. Browning vs Bowman. Sadly it never happened, but if it had, we'd still be talking about it.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Kurt is a treasure for all skating fans. He was always a classy competitor who helped advance the sport, but he continued to grow as an artist as a pro. He never gave less than 100% or took an audience for granted. He's tried to help younger skaters, is incredibly gracious to fans and truly loves the sport. "Legend" is a term that is often thrown around too easily, but he is a legend of the sport.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    KB is a class act.
    Back in the day, I thought the 92 olys would be so interesting and I was looking forward to the battle of the B's. Browning vs Bowman. Sadly it never happened, but if it had, we'd still be talking about it.
    Ah yes, that would have been something indeed. In any case, I'm happy for Paul Wylie being able to step up to the plate at the 1992 Olympics and achieve a personal victory that changed his life and in turn gave so much to the fans and to the sport.

Also, I think the fact that Kurt was so inspired by Christopher Bowman, is a testament to the amazing talent of both Christopher and Kurt. RIP, Christopher!

I too echo that Kurt's FB message to fans is very gracious and sweet. He's the kind of person and skater who exemplifies Dick Button's iconic observation, because in fact, Kurt is a skating legend who has "made the sport better by his presence in it."

Furthermore, IMO, if receiving an Olympic gold medal is equivalent to going above and beyond in contributing magical memories, excellence and devoted service, as well as good humor and genuine kindness to the sport and to the fans, then Kurt Browning definitely has an Olympic gold medal and he wears it proudly each and every day. Thank you, Kurt!

There are others who missed out on being awarded the actual OGM, but who like Kurt actually hold one in the spirit of their invaluable contributions, wonderful performances and outstanding humanity ... among them: Todd Eldredge, so I commend and thank Todd too. Hope no one minds in this Kurt thread my also giving a shout out to Todd!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    loved Kurt's skating....supreme talent. Dislike immensely Kurt's commentating! It's NOT all about YOU Kurt. You had your time. Everything he says seems to reference himself.
    Exactly my sentiments. And when he is commentating with Tracy, he over-talks her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Ah yes, that would have been something indeed. In any case, I'm happy for Paul Wylie being able to step up to the plate at the 1992 Olympics and achieve a personal victory that changed his life and in turn gave so much to the fans and to the sport.

Also, I think the fact that Kurt was so inspired by Christopher Bowman, is a testament to the amazing talent of both Christopher and Kurt. RIP, Christopher!

I too echo that Kurt's FB message to fans is very gracious and sweet. He's the kind of person and skater who exemplifies Dick Button's iconic observation, because in fact, Kurt is a skating legend who has "made the sport better by his presence in it."

Furthermore, IMO, if receiving an Olympic gold medal is equivalent to going above and beyond in contributing magical memories, excellence and devoted service, as well as good humor and genuine kindness to the sport and to the fans, then Kurt Browning definitely has an Olympic gold medal and he wears it proudly each and every day. Thank you, Kurt!

There are others who missed out on being awarded the actual OGM, but who like Kurt actually hold one in the spirit of their invaluable contributions, wonderful performances and outstanding humanity ... among them: Todd Eldredge, so I commend and thank Todd too. Hope no one minds in this Kurt thread my also giving a shout out to Todd!
    Amen to everything you've said about Kurt, and go right ahead with a shout out to Todd, too!

vCash
    I have loved Kurt's skating for a long time. He is a rock star in my book with footwork to die for.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    To those who are snarking on his commentary, I get he's got his haters when it comes to that, but considering the man's had zero training in on air commentary I actually think he's not doing *that* badly. Everyone thinks it's ohhhh sooo easy until they try it and surprise!! What's really easy to do at home? Not so much when you've got a camera on you and you're live to thousands out there judging your every word.

Anyway...I could share my own experiences w/Kurt, the first ones actually helping me during a *very* rough period of my life and giving me a huge boost of confidence in myself, but there's not enough room and you'd all be here for awhile too. Instead, I'm going to repost a part of my post about this past December's Celebration On Ice stop in Sudbury....

About an hour before heading off to the show w/my Sister's best friend who was giving me a ride there and back, my sister says to me, "Oh...Did I tell you that Michelle's Curtis is skating tonight w/the little ones?"

After my jaw came up off the floor and my eyes went back into their sockets, all I could do was go, "WHAT!?!"

Obviously, no. She didn't tell me that. This little guy and his little brother's Mom lived next door to my Sister and she, my oldest nephew, the son of the lady who gave me a ride and me all grew up together. In fact, these two little guys are considered to be my Sister and Brother in Law's Honourary Grandsons. That's how close we all were and still are. Now I always look forward to the little ones from the CanSkate program's little number as it's just too adorable, but after hearing that piece of information, I was looking forward to it even more.

So there I was, sitting on the ice and on the end right across from the Skaters Entrance, had my camera at the ready to go and try to get some good pictures of the little ones and...

There were two groups. One of older kids who had more skills and experience when it comes to skating and the little, little ones like Curtis who are just learning. Guess where Curtis' group was? If you're saying not in my nearer half of the ice, give yourself a Christmas cookie.

I tried the best I could to try and get pictures whenever there was a space in the circle of older kids that were in front of us, and I did get quite a few, but I have no idea if I got any of Curtis or not.

So after the show, we ended up meeting up w/Michelle, Curtis and Michelle's Mom Marg and...

Michelle was so excited for two reasons. One, even though he was *really* nervous, Curtis didn't fall out there. Two, during the Zamboni break and just before they came out, Kurt popped into their area of the Arena to see how they were doing and to give them a bit of a pep talk before heading out.

Which considering just how many cookies and Candy Canes they'd all had by that point, Michelle said getting them excited wasn't that big a problem, but...

She said that Curtis walked right up to Kurt and said Hi to him. Michelle said Kurt got down to his level and..."Hi Buddy!! What's your name?

Curtis.

WOW!! We've got the same name. How cool is that? High five Bud."

Which they did and Michelle told me she got it all on video too. She also said he told them all that..."Now remember, it's *Can*Skate. Not *Can't*Skate!!"

Michelle kept saying how she couldn't believe how wonderful Kurt was w/all of those kids. I didn't say anything, but that wasn't a surprise to me after all these years.
    As I said...No surprise to me at all.

vCash
    I think it is important to recognize that Kurt has really learned and improved when it comes to his commentary. I think he is more forthcoming than most in terms of saying what he thinks and I always welcome his responses. Even Mother Teresa would manage to attract a few snarkers on this site!
    I'm with all the rest of you here. I adore Kurt! He is my most favourite skater of all time, anywhere, anyhow, no exceptions for so so many reasons, many of which have been articulated here. Add to all of that, he really does have the ability to make me feel 14 yrs. old again!

vCash
    I like Kurt's commentary. Sometimes he says things that I don't agree with - such as men shouldn't do a Bielman spin - but I love that he has an educated opinion but isn't afraid to defer to Tracy Wilson when he knows she is more knowledgeable. I love how invested he gets and the little insights he passes on, And personally I don't mind that he relates what is going on out there to his own experience. I think it helps shed light on a skater's life and trials.

As far as Kurt being a treasure - well I couldn't agree more. But I think it is only fair for Canadians to admit that he is definitely an international treasure.

I love how he pushed himself to accomplish so much as a competitive skater - but that he pushed himself even more as a pro. I love his mind blowing versatility as a performer.

And I love that despite that he gained so much fame for being the first to do the quad - that his programs are the very very best examples that fantastic skating is so much more. If he does a program without jumps or with very few jumps - you never find yourself saying "Do something"!. Instead your jaw is hanging open at the beauty of what he is doing on the ice - or the athleticism or the rhythm.

And I also admire so much of his work as a choreographer/ creator. I fell madly madly in love with the light number the men did for Stars on Ice last year. It was so so much better live than on TV. A mesmerizing piece of art that made me so grateful I had decided to see the show live!

Hurrah for Kurt!

vCash
    Kurt has improved his commentary a lot from when he first started. I enjoy hearing his thoughts on the singles programs in particular (why a jump did not work, for instance, and his comments on the psychological aspects of competition). He's been an inspiration for so many skaters, from little kids to world champions, and he's still a joy to watch. I remember him once talking about a conversation he'd had with Brian Boitano, about how fortunate they were to be a part of this sport. And wasn't it his dad who told him that everyone's job is hard, but not everyone gets applause at the end of their day's work ...so always be glad for what you have. Kurt really seems to appreciate everything the sport has brought him, and he continues to give back in so many ways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I believe he helped Denis Ten with his "Singing in the Rain" exhibition.
    Do you know if I can read about this somewhere? Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast