Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Kurt Browning is a National Treasure

Discuss.

This came to me when I was watching Javi's exhibition skate. It had Kurt written all over it. When you think of all he has done for skating, and particularly for Canadian Men's skating, he is truly a treasure. Of course he would just get a goofy look on his face and mime "Who, Me?"

Why do you think Kurt is a National Treasure?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    Discuss.

This came to me when I was watching Javi's exhibition skate. It had Kurt written all over it. When you think of all he has done for skating, and particularly for Canadian Men's skating, he is truly a treasure. Of course he would just get a goofy look on his face and mime "Who, Me?"

Why do you think Kurt is a National Treasure?

I'm not Canadian. I think that Kurt is an international treasure.

vCash
    Also not Canadian, but I vote for National Treasure anyway.
    The ability to reach audiences all the way up to the rafters is a true gift.
    Classy and entertaining skater and human being.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    A national treasure just because he can be so goofy. I have always enjoyed his skating. He's "first rate" as Uncle Dick would say
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    A strong amateur, but a brilliant pro. Hopefully he'll keep sharing his gift via choreography.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I'm not Canadian. I think that Kurt is an international treasure.
    Absolutely agree

Not summer :(
    vCash
    He's the only skater I've ever come close to 'ubering' -- I've always enjoyed his skating. His abilities on the blade are a gift to skating, and it looks like he will continue to give through his choreography once he's done skating..yay!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Watch me move
    vCash
    He has done a LOT of work to support the sport, beyond what he does as a skater and a choreographer.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    ^^^ THIS is what I call a national treasure! Giving back in in kind and time besides being a great skater.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Based on the features I've seen with his family, Kurt Browning is also an excellent husband and father, and a very fine human being with an easygoing and fun sense of humor.

When I met Kurt in 1998 after a show I told him how much I loved his Casablanca program and that he was the best and he should have been the one to win '94 Olympics. Kurt kindly thanked me, and then he chuckled self-deprecatingly: "Yeah, that might have been true had I actually skated well."

vCash
    After I started this thread I realized that I should have said "Canadian National Treasure". But after reading the posts I have to agree, he is an international treasure.
    I believe he helped Denis Ten with his "Singing in the Rain" exhibition. He has also made suggestions about how Yuzuru Hanyu could improve his performances. The man is a true mentor who just gives and gives to any skater who wants help.

vCash
    At '12 GPF in Quebec City, I was waiting in line for the washroom (I wouldn't have to wait in line if I used the outdoor washroom, but I digress), which was near a room reserved for the skaters and other VIPs. Kurt was entering that room and the security guard asked for his ID. While, fishing out his ID, he was doing a little tap dance for the security guard. Even taking out his ID, he oozes charm and joy.

vCash
    Just want to add that Kurt has said how much he always admired Christopher Bowman's talent, and how he thought he'd never be able to beat Christopher. I think that in itself speaks to Kurt's sportsmanship, his love of figure skating, as well as his ability to apply himself and to grow as a skater and a person. Aside from being unable to overcome the Olympics pressure, as a 4-time Canadian champion and a 4-time World champion, Kurt was remarkable for being able to put out his best when it mattered. As a professional, he blossomed and he gave audiences so many memorable moments. There was another thread here awhile back where I posted a number of unforgettable Kurt performances. Singin' in the Rain and Brick House are two of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RtL68KBBhY Brick House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM Kurt's original Singin' in the Rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0BvRzUhOU 1989 worlds exhibition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBim...e=results_main a Kurt playlist
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-24-2013 at 05:49 AM.

vCash
    I've been a Kurt uber since I was 10 years old. Adore him. There's no other skater like him and I don't think there ever will be one like him again.

In my previous career as a journalist, I had the opportunity to interview him twice - once over the phone and once in person. He's a complete delight - warm, funny, friendly and a true gentleman.

vCash
    Kurt Browning is THE reason I am a skating fan today. I fell in love with his Casablanca program.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I believe he helped Denis Ten with his "Singing in the Rain" exhibition.
    No, he did not.

Kurt is an amazing person to be around, hilarious interviewee. I admire his longevity in this sport. And if I ever wish something to skaters I really like it is to be like Kurt, in many senses, including this long and fruitful life in skating after retirement from sport.

vCash
    I have never heard a bad word said about him on this forum. From here and other times it has been brought up he apparently is one of the nicest people you could meet in the sport.

I did get to meet him when I went to Worlds at 98 (he signed my Worlds program). Lovely guy and so accommodating to the fans. He said he missed my accent because Cameron Medhurst was one of this best mates. I want our association to bring him out to Australia to do sessions with the skaters. He would be amazing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I want our association to bring him out to Australia to do sessions with the skaters. He would be amazing.
    Let me know. I will fly down to Melbourne and be a volunteer to your association for the day. I can serve tea and coffee to the session or be the door woman.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    In London, my friends and I were having lunch when Kurt joined a group of people at a nearby table.A short time later, he made his way through the restaurant and stopped at every table to chat and take pictures. He was so gracious and genuine. In conversation, I mentioned Viktor and Chris Bowman..His response re Chris Bowman.."The most natural talent that I have ever seen."

vCash
    I have nothing new to add, but, IMHO, Kurt is a national/international treasure for all the reasons everyone has mentioned so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast