Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    He coached for a time the lethargic but statuesque 1980s German skater Claudia Leistner. He may have started coaching Leistner in the 1987-88 season and worked with her until he became too ill (I am not sure). She finished fourth at the 1988 worlds and sixth at the Olympics. He appeared not to address her most serious flaws. It is kind to say she had issues with "style." She is a wonderful personality nevertheless, and they look very cute together in the kiss-and-cry in this video from 1988.
    He coached Claudia in the 1986-1987 season as well. He was at the 1987 Cincinnati Worlds with her - the commentator notes that Nepala complained about Claudia's SP scores like any good coach should do.

Claudia Leistner 1987 Worlds LP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    He coached Claudia in the 1986-1987 season as well. He was at the 1987 Cincinnati Worlds with her - the commentator notes that Nepala complained about Claudia's SP scores like any good coach should do.

Claudia Leistner 1987 Worlds LP
    I love Claudia's beautiful legs. That 1987 program may be one her most visually appealing performances. Claudia looked beautiful with longer hair back in the 1987 video. Her hair looked crazy in both Olympics. A German punk mullet in 1984 and total grandma in 1988 and 1989. I like to think Ondrej helped her improve technically.

So how did he end up in Germany? Did he leave Czechoslovakia illegally as prior generations of Czech and Soviet skaters did?

vCash
    Thank you for this thread. I always wondered why there is so little footage of Nepela, who was the most successful athlete in men's singles in the late 60's- early 70's: the same era of Janet Lynn and Rodnina-Ulanov, who have a much bigger video legacy.

He can not be compared to Shuba: she was an outstanding figure skater and B-list free skater, Nepela was great in figures and very competent and pleasant in free skating, with his own style.

Was back then the average level of men's free skating superior to women's? France's Pera, 8th in the free skating in Sapporo, was a good free skater as far as I know.

vCash
    He had the cutest sideburns.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tottoi View Post
    Thank you for this thread. I always wondered why there is so little footage of Nepela, who was the most successful athlete in men's singles in the late 60's- early 70's: the same era of Janet Lynn and Rodnina-Ulanov, who have a much bigger video legacy.

He can not be compared to Shuba: she was an outstanding figure skater and B-list free skater, Nepela was great in figures and very competent and pleasant in free skating, with his own style.

Was back then the average level of men's free skating superior to women's? France's Pera, 8th in the free skating in Sapporo, was a good free skater as far as I know.
    I think all the top men were doing triples. Looking at the results from Sapporo, all of the top 13 up to and including Gailhaguet had triples in their LP's. Most had toe and sal, some had sal and loop (Curry & Cranston - they added the toe loop later in their careers.) This was pretty much the standard up to '76 when Curry landed three different triples. That seems to have been the standard leading into 1980. Women were artistically more evolved thanks to Peggy and Janet although the men's artistic revolution that was about to happen helped them to catch up and IMO pretty much surpass the ladies by the time 1980 rolled around.

vCash
    I think men skating in general tends to be more intricate and interesting than the women. Compare the choreography Robin Cousins and Charlie Tickner were doing verses their women counterpart, Fratianne and Poetzch, for example.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ Fast intricate skating takes a lot of stamina, so the men probably have an advantage.

Vacant
    vCash
    Some good news on this front. I've managed to make contact with a few people who knew and skated with Ondrej back in the day. If I can get enough info, I might write an article on his career. Hopefully it's all interesting stuff.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Yes floskate! Do it!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    That would be wonderful!

vCash
    I'll look forward to this, floskate!

vCash
    Floskate, that would be brilliant!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Some good news on this front. I've managed to make contact with a few people who knew and skated with Ondrej back in the day. If I can get enough info, I might write an article on his career. Hopefully it's all interesting stuff.
    I'm looking forward to reading this.

vCash
    Count me in and I'm sure many more people are interested. I watched some of his skating but other than that didn't know much about Nepala, so all this has been an interesting read for me so far. This is one of the reasons I often come back to this board, even if I haven't been here for months; eventually someone posts very informative threads. Thank you to all the people who always provided en continue to write fascinating posts and links.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12