Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated and lots of hugs to you, your mom, and the rest of your family. Good luck with home care!

vCash
    Saying a prayer for all of you. I don't know if this helps. And I realize that my son was a child and your mom is not. But, my son got "hooked" playing hockey, when he was 9. Broke his ankle through the growth plate. They had to put screws in. He was in a cast and on crutches for a few weeks, but he had/has no problems, what so ever, with it. He's now 26. I hope your Mom fares as well.
    Last edited by cruisin; 03-24-2013 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the update, ArargonEl. At least the surgery is over. Good luck to your mom for a full and speedy recovery, and I hope you get some rest.

vCash
    ((sending good thoughts))
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Please take care of yourself too. Sending good thoughts...

vCash
    ((((((AragornElessar))))) sending positive and healing thoughts out to you and your mom. Hope that she mends quickly and you can get some Home Care in to help.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks Everyone!!

She's still over in Sudbury, but hoping to get as far as the Health Centre here tomorrow. Of course, that all depends on if a bed opens up, but when we talked to her tonight she sounded pretty upbeat and chipper. Also she says she's not in much pain, but as I and my sister and our cousin who is a Nurse and the Nurses over there keep telling her, the reason for that is because they're keeping ahead of it w/the pain meds *and* that she's not really been up on it since Thursday morning when she went back to Emerg. Once that all either stops happening or she gets her first visit by the Physio, that's going to change big time!!

As far as Home Care goes...My sister and I were going to chat about that one again today after she'd gotten back from visiting Mom, but she never called. Which considering how easily Dad's confused these days, we can't wait to get the ball rolling on this and depend on Mom to do it, because we both know if it was up to her, it wouldn't *be* happening.

As I said to my sister yesterday, after the last few days w/Dad and it just being the two of us, I honestly don't know how a cousin of ours does it day in and day out w/her son. Jonathan was born w/water on the brain, but that was the mid 70's and what's available these days wasn't then and combine the various blocked shunts, infections of the things *and* two strokes, he's got the body of someone in their early 30's, but the mind of a three year old. If that. He also repeats a *lot*.

I've always respected Joanne, but after having to look after Dad the last few days w/out Mom covering for him as she does and...That respect's just gone sky high. I mean...We'd called Mom, talked to her and about fifteen minutes after we'd called, he asked me if we'd called her yet. For the second straight Sunday, I had to stop him from going out to get our mail more than once. Then twice while talking to Mom tonight, he asked her if they knew what was wrong and if it could be fixed. Not to mention I'll ask him if he's hungry, he'll tell me he'd already eaten, but has he? That after me having afternoon naps the last two days, so...did he really have something to eat and if so, then what?

So...Does that sound to any of you like everything is fine around here and no help is needed at all?

She's been so exhausted for the last two years really trying to keep appearances looking like everything's okay and trying to keep everything going, I knew *something* was bound to give health wise w/her. Considering how sky high her Blood Pressure's been, and of course she doesn't need to go in and make sure her BP meds need to be upped a bit due to that, I was thinking more along the lines of her having a stroke or heart attack.

So considering that, this could have been far worse, but OTOH....

And on that note...It's bedtime. Hopefully I get far more sleep than I did last night. The second I put my head on the pillow, I was wide awake for some reason. Then after 5am, the little sleep I got was broken by me waking up every hour on the hour until I decided to get up around 8-ish. So I *really* hope I get some decent sleep tonight.

Thank you all so much for all of the prayers and good thoughts being sent our way. Keep them coming and Thank You again.

vCash
    Is your mom's foot in a cast now? Can she move her ankle or not? If not, make sure she was/is given thrombosis prevention for as long as she cannot move one joint! My doctor forgot when I broke my foot and I ended up with a thrombosis. That's when I learnt that (in Germany) the medical "law" says that as soon as one joint is immobile, a certain type of blood thinner has to be given.

Otherwise, I'm sure she'll be fine! Wishing her a speedy recovery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    One thing that both my sister and I are puzzled over is the nurse she had on the floor this afternoon was asking her how she got what she called fracture blisters. Of course Mom didn't have any idea of how they formed, but I think I might know.
    Fracture blisters form b/c of swelling in the soft tissue underneath the skin following a fracture. The broken bone tears the soft tissue, which leads to swelling. I think I read that they occur in 40% of leg and ankle fractures - I'm one of those and the splint they put on in the ER had plenty of cotton padding under the bandage.

I hope your mom has a speedy recovery.

vCash
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and your family! I'm hoping for a speedy, relatively painless recovery for your mom.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Whew sounds like you're going through a lot! Alf broke his wrist skateboarding on Valentine's Day, and just got his final cast removed. Wrist is nothing like ankle though - he could actually still work by typing with his other hand. But keeping up with the ortho appointments was definitely a headache, considering I had work and class and wedding-planning too. (And we luckily only had a few of those appointments!)

Good luck to everybody!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Adding my prayers to the list for your mom. Praying she has a complete recovery.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    First off, thanks once again Everyone for all of the support and messages. It's really helped.

Second...And I'm going to give my Sister a piece of my mind over this one....Guess who's home and w/out letting anyone give us a head's up about it? She could have come back to the local Health Centre by Ambulance, but to do that meant staying down there for two days, or she could get a ride from someone. She called my Uncle and at just after 5pm, we were all struggling to get her in our Porch.

I told her to get on her butt and then crawl in, but of course that would have been too easy and also listening to me, so naturally she just had to try hopping in first. So when she couldn't manage the hopping, she ended up doing what I'd suggested the first time. Thankfully, she took the advice of the Physio and went up the stairs to the Main area of our house on her butt, then levered herself up on a chair before using the walker she'd been given to use to get to the couch.

Which is also what I suggested her to do, but as the Physio had also suggested it, then...Sigh.

It's going to be a long two weeks.

As for Home Care...Take a wild guess on that one.

So she's home, w/a pretty bright green cast on her foot and hobbling w/a walker and already plotting on how to get back into the Sugar Bush to "make sure our friends are doing things right" when they go back in a couple of days.

Sigh...It's going to be a long two weeks until her follow up appt. Here's hoping things won't be too tough around here, but I have my doubts about that. We'll see though.

Oh and in this house, we know all too well about casts and what to do to keep any blood clots from happening and what to watch out for. I've already had her trying to wiggle her toes tonight and was checking them to make sure they were all pink and warm. W/all of the Orthopedic Adventures I've been through, that's one thing we know all too well to keep an eye out for.

So, she's home. Now the really tough part begins. Trying to make sure she listens to both common sense and also do what she needs to do instead of what she wants to do. When it comes from me, that's going to be easier said than done I'm afraid.

vCash
    Well...Second full day home and so far, so good. However, we really do need help around here, but as long as Mom thinks everything's fine and Dad's only "a little bit forgetful", then that's not happening.

However tonight...I really do wonder about my Mom and how on earth the obvious about certain people just seem to be ignored for some unknown reason...

I will not call this woman a friend, because friends don't do what she did tonight. One of Mom's big worries was about our Sugar Bush and taking care of everything back there since she'd already tapped a bunch of trees before she fell last week. Okay, step in some of our neighbours who have either made Maple Syrup before or at the very least can go into the bush, gather the sap and put it into the containers back there for that very purpose. Even so, this year we're only going to get enough for ourselves and hopefully enough to give to those who are helping w/all of this in return and as a way to say Thank You to them.

So...This woman calls tonight, now considering everything going on, you would think she's calling to see how things are going and how Mom's doing? Right? And she did, but then....But then....

That woman has the nerve beyond nerves to ask Mom if she could put in an order for 3 gallons of Syrup.

!?!?!

What the HELL!?! Are you seriously kidding me?

My Mom's in a cast and using a wheelchair a good friend of ours is letting us borrow (He's wheelchair bound and while this one's a bit too battered to be used for his every day needs, and needed to be replaced by the new one he's got,, but for Mom to get around the upper part of our house? It's perfect and I honestly don't know after the last 24 hrs when his wife brought it up here, what we would do w/out it) to get around the house, Dad's got Dementia, I've got my own medical issues to deal w/, we're depending on a great bunch of people to do our Syrup for us this year in order just for us to have some for ourselves and nothing more than that and this woman has the nerve to call up here and do that!?!

I said that to Mom too, because she was telling that Woman, she needed to call the one Neighbour of ours to see about it and if it was possible or not. Since I only heard this side of the conversation, thought she was asking Mom how she could help out back there. When Mom told me what that wanted, my mouth literally flew open and then I said and I quote...

What!?! You've got to be joking, right? What the Hell is wrong w/that Woman and where did her Common Sense go to? She knows how things are in this house right now and we're relying on others to do our Syrup for us and she has to nerve to call and place an order like that?
    Which of course started off Mom w/how I just don't like people and what we would do w/out friends and on and on and on....

I've had two run in's w/this Woman and personally, I consider her one of the most dangerous people in this area. She's one of those who is so focused on staying positive and thinking good thoughts to the point of completely shutting out reality and not just what is going on w/her or around here, but also to the point of when someone is telling her what they're going through in their life, well just what does she tell you to do? Maybe if the Ruby Slippers were real and had the powers they claim to have, then maybe. Combine that w/the deep passion of a Born Again Christian who also believes prayer along w/nothing but positive thinking will solve all of your problems and...

Plus, she also one of those people who knows everything there is about everything, but doesn't really know much about anything. So I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised she did something like this, but I am. Here's the kicker though...I'm going to have to spend time w/her tomorrow. I really need to go into our nearest town and run some errands, but the friends of ours who are going in tomorrow and who are lending us the wheelchair, are also bringing her along because a bunch of them get together every week for lunch.

Now, Molly and I talked about this woman today and she pretty much feels the same way towards her as I do, but "oh...She's such a good person and tries so hard..." So tomorrow, I have no choice about spending time w/it. However, I will not be held responsible for what I end up saying to it. Especially if she starts in on me about how negative I am about how I feel about being stuck in the middle of nowhere or asks about the Syrup. As I'll tell Molly and Marty up front, I can not stand and do not like this person and I will be coldly civil to her *if* I have to speak to it. Anything else and all bets are off!!!

Sigh....Two days down till the 5th and Mom's Follow Up Appt. Here's hoping she gets to change to a walking cast and go weight bearing to a certain extent.

Here's also hoping I can get through this little trip tomorrow w/out telling that Woman off, but I'm not too hopeful on that one because if the last two times were any example, then....As I said, I will not be held responsible for what happens.

And on that note...Off to bed.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    AE, here's a suggestion that might help. On your trip with the woman tomorrow, pretend you're an American from the Southern part of the country, and every time she says or does something that makes you think "Go to hell" or "**** you", just say "Oooh, that's NICE...." or "Bless your heart..." instead, in a voice as sweet as that sugar bush.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    AE, here's a suggestion that might help. On your trip with the woman tomorrow, pretend you're an American from the Southern part of the country, and every time she says or does something that makes you think "Go to hell" or "**** you", just say "Oooh, that's NICE...." or "Bless your heart..." instead, in a voice as sweet as that sugar bush.
    A friend from Georgia taught me this and it really does work!

vCash
    Well...I woke up this morning so tired and I mean tired, I couldn't see straight and knew there was no way I was going anywhere past this door. So I gave the list and the empty over the counter bottles I need refills for to Molly along w/some money and they're on their way into Town.

Which is a good thing, because I honestly know in the shape I'm in, I wouldn't be careful w/my words to begin w/and to cope w/someone like that other thing, I'd need to be well rested. I'm not even close.

You know what the most maddening thing of all of this is? Mom *knows* I know what it's like to cope all of this and how to do certain things when you're in a cast. I mean, she's been there every step of the way w/me over the years. However, is she listening to me when I give her advice?

Nope!!

We needed Laundry done today and I was going to get Dad to help me w/it because w/what I'm dealing w/, I can't reach down into the Washing Machine to get the clothes out or to put them into the Dryer because that would need for me to twist and twisting isn't something that makes my pain I'm dealing w/any easier to deal w/. Okay then, w/the wheelchair in here, we put in the chair from our Dining Suite w/the big arms in there and the walker Dad got from his fall and all that went on w/that Adventure and a few other things that were in her way in there and out of the way. So...I come back upstairs after watching Dad getting the mail because that's all we need right now is for him to fall out there, to her coming down the Hall w/a bunch of clothing in her lap and wanting Dad to help her get into the Laundry Room w/the Wheelchair.

I told them that was NOT a good idea and she'd never get in there w/the wheelchair, but was I listened to?

No.

That's when I came down here muttering at the same time, "If I hear a scream, it's her own dammed fault and if I'm not going to be listened to, then what's the point?"

And Mom wonders why I stay down here all the time these days when she's fine. *groan*

So if I do seem like I do rave a bit in here, just keep in mind I have no one around here I can talk to or to even pop off anywhere for a break. This really is the only place I can let off steam in right now. Although, if my Darling Sister and BiL decide to come over Easter Weekend, that very well could change because I am in no mood whatsoever to hear her say to me, "Well, I don't know what you expect me to do about it?"

Can you tell someone in their early 60's to grow the Hell up? Because I am *very* close to doing just that w/her.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Can you tell someone in their early 60's to grow the Hell up? Because I am *very* close to doing just that w/her.
    Sure. Or you can tell her what you expect her to do.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I think it is hard for a parent to have to take directions from and care from a child. Even an adult one. I have to just pull out my teacher voice with my dad to get him to do what we need him to. Otherwise, he is being the big strong dad and is in charge; in spite of the fact that he weighs less than me and can't do basic things right now.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I think it is hard for a parent to have to take directions from and care from a child. Even an adult one. I have to just pull out my teacher voice with my dad to get him to do what we need him to. Otherwise, he is being the big strong dad and is in charge; in spite of the fact that he weighs less than me and can't do basic things right now.
    Sure it is. I thought AE was talking about her sister.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast